CCD camera advice

  • rusty shaffer
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 30, 2011
      I was hoping to get some advice on buying a Ccd camera. I Was looking at the star shoot pro mono v3 from Orion that comes with the filter wheel. Does any one have any thoughts about this camera? Price is a factor but are there better cameras out there in the price range ($1400)? Saving up for a $10,000 camera is not an option though it would be nice. I'm looking to get started into monochromatic imaging. I have an Orion ED80 and an 8" Newtonian that I use for imaging. I am also looking to invest in a EON 120 later this year. Thanks for any advice.
    • Mark de Regt
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 30, 2011
        Rusty,

        Welcome to the group.

        I don't know that camera (I'm sure others will), but I encourage you to take
        a look at Astromart for used CCD cameras. I bought my first two cameras
        there, for a very substantial discount off of new, retail price.

        Mark

        I was hoping to get some advice on buying a Ccd camera. I Was looking at
        the star shoot pro mono v3 from Orion that comes with the filter wheel.
        Does any one have any thoughts about this camera? Price is a factor but are
        there better cameras out there in the price range ($1400)? Saving up for a
        $10,000 camera is not an option though it would be nice. I'm looking to get
        started into monochromatic imaging. I have an Orion ED80 and an 8"
        Newtonian that I use for imaging. I am also looking to invest in a EON 120
        later this year. Thanks for any advice.

        ------------------------------------
      • De Lorme Broussard
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 30, 2011
          Hi, I'm De Lorme ; I would look for a used one on Astromart or Cloudy Nights.
          I bought a Sbig T-7e for $350 which has a guiding chip. This left plenty of money to buy
          accessories like the Vixen flip mirror.  Hoped this helped.

          De Lorme

          I was hoping to get some advice on buying a Ccd camera. I Was looking at the star shoot pro mono v3 from Orion that comes with the filter wheel. Does any one have any thoughts about this camera? Price is a factor but are there better cameras out there in the price range ($1400)? Saving up for a $10,000 camera is not an option though it would be nice. I'm looking to get started into monochromatic imaging. I have an Orion ED80 and an 8" Newtonian that I use for imaging. I am also looking to invest in a EON 120 later this year. Thanks for any advice.

        • Kevin Dixon
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 30, 2011
            Hi Rusty,

            You have already received some very good advice but if you still wish to purchase a new CCD camera and could afford another $600, I'd recommend that you consider either the Orion Parsec camera or the SBIG ST-8300 camera. Both will be a good match for your telescopes.

            I did a review of the Orion Parsec for AstroPhoto Insight Magazine. If you'd like to see that, e-mail me privately and I'll share it with you.

            Clear skies,
            Kevin Dixon
            www.magnificentheavens.com

            From: rusty shaffer