Re: M81, M82, Holmberg IX, PGC 28731, and the IFN

  • scottpellet
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 1, 2011
      Wow, spectacular! It is amazing what 18 hours exposure time can produce. Masterfully done.
      SP

      --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, "Eric" <eja24601@...> wrote:

      > Hello all,
      >
      > Over the last few months I have been somewhat busy getting a remote observatory in New Mexico up and running. After working my way through some glitches, I can finally share an image gathered using data while working my way through those glitches!
      >
      > This is the ever-popular M81 and M82 duo, decorated with the Integrated Flux Nebula. Eighteen hours of usable data was used to create this vista.
      >
      > A small image with information on the objects can be seen at http://www.skiesbyafrica.com/Galaxies/M81-82.html
      >
      > Be sure to click on the image on the website to link to a 75% size image!
      >
      > Takahashi TOA-130F with flattener on an AP1200GTO mount
      > SBIG STL-6303 with Astrodon filters and FW8-STL filter wheel
      >
      > Exposure Details:
      > L: 63 x 10 Minutes, binned 1x1
      > R: 15 x 10 minutes, binned 1x1
      > G: 15 x 10 minutes, binned 1x1
      > B: 15 x 10 minutes, binned 1x1
      > 18 hours total exposure
      >
      > So, where am I set up? Over at Rancho Hidalgo, the new astronomy village covered by Astronomy Magazine in some recent issues. In fact, our remote observatory is only a few doors away from Astronomy Magazine's observatory!
      >
      > This development is headed by Gene Turner, the same person behind Chiefland Astronomy Village in Florida as well as Arizona Sky Village in Arizona.
      >
      > More information on Rancho Hidalgo and Arizona Sky village can be found here:
      >
      > http://www.hidalgonm.com/
      > http://www.arizonaskyvillage.com/
      >
      > Gene's latest (any in many respects the most exciting) development, Granite Gap, can be found at http://www.granitegap.com/Home.aspx
      >
      > Comments welcome. Otherwise, enjoy and thanks for looking!
      > Clear skies,
      > Eric

    • stardoctor5
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 2, 2011
        Fascinating image Eric.
        What software did you use to control the telescope remotely?
        How do you cover the telescope front end remotely, or do you leave the optics exposed?
        Ruben

        --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, "Eric" <eja24601@...> wrote:

        > Hello all,
        >
        > Over the last few months I have been somewhat busy getting a remote observatory in New Mexico up and running. After working my way through some glitches, I can finally share an image gathered using data while working my way through those glitches!
        >
        > This is the ever-popular M81 and M82 duo, decorated with the Integrated Flux Nebula. Eighteen hours of usable data was used to create this vista.
        >
        > A small image with information on the objects can be seen at http://www.skiesbyafrica.com/Galaxies/M81-82.html
        >
        > Be sure to click on the image on the website to link to a 75% size image!
        >
        > Takahashi TOA-130F with flattener on an AP1200GTO mount
        > SBIG STL-6303 with Astrodon filters and FW8-STL filter wheel
        >
        > Exposure Details:
        > L: 63 x 10 Minutes, binned 1x1
        > R: 15 x 10 minutes, binned 1x1
        > G: 15 x 10 minutes, binned 1x1
        > B: 15 x 10 minutes, binned 1x1
        > 18 hours total exposure
        >
        > So, where am I set up? Over at Rancho Hidalgo, the new astronomy village covered by Astronomy Magazine in some recent issues. In fact, our remote observatory is only a few doors away from Astronomy Magazine's observatory!
        >
        > This development is headed by Gene Turner, the same person behind Chiefland Astronomy Village in Florida as well as Arizona Sky Village in Arizona.
        >
        > More information on Rancho Hidalgo and Arizona Sky village can be found here:
        >
        > http://www.hidalgonm.com/
        > http://www.arizonaskyvillage.com/
        >
        > Gene's latest (any in many respects the most exciting) development, Granite Gap, can be found at http://www.granitegap.com/Home.aspx
        >
        > Comments welcome. Otherwise, enjoy and thanks for looking!
        > Clear skies,
        > Eric

      • Eric
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 3, 2011
          Thanks, Scott!

          Eric

          --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, "scottpellet" <shpellet@...> wrote:

          > Wow, spectacular! It is amazing what 18 hours exposure time can produce. Masterfully done.
          > SP
          >
          > --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, "Eric" <eja24601@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Hello all,
          > >
          > > Over the last few months I have been somewhat busy getting a remote observatory in New Mexico up and running. After working my way through some glitches, I can finally share an image gathered using data while working my way through those glitches!
          > >
          > > This is the ever-popular M81 and M82 duo, decorated with the Integrated Flux Nebula. Eighteen hours of usable data was used to create this vista.
          > >
          > > A small image with information on the objects can be seen at http://www.skiesbyafrica.com/Galaxies/M81-82.html
          > >
          > > Be sure to click on the image on the website to link to a 75% size image!
          > >
          > > Takahashi TOA-130F with flattener on an AP1200GTO mount
          > > SBIG STL-6303 with Astrodon filters and FW8-STL filter wheel
          > >
          > > Exposure Details:
          > > L: 63 x 10 Minutes, binned 1x1
          > > R: 15 x 10 minutes, binned 1x1
          > > G: 15 x 10 minutes, binned 1x1
          > > B: 15 x 10 minutes, binned 1x1
          > > 18 hours total exposure
          > >
          > > So, where am I set up? Over at Rancho Hidalgo, the new astronomy village covered by Astronomy Magazine in some recent issues. In fact, our remote observatory is only a few doors away from Astronomy Magazine's observatory!
          > >
          > > This development is headed by Gene Turner, the same person behind Chiefland Astronomy Village in Florida as well as Arizona Sky Village in Arizona.
          > >
          > > More information on Rancho Hidalgo and Arizona Sky village can be found here:
          > >
          > > http://www.hidalgonm.com/
          > > http://www.arizonaskyvillage.com/
          > >
          > > Gene's latest (any in many respects the most exciting) development, Granite Gap, can be found at http://www.granitegap.com/Home.aspx
          > >
          > > Comments welcome. Otherwise, enjoy and thanks for looking!
          > > Clear skies,
          > > Eric

        • Eric
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 3, 2011
            > Fascinating image Eric.

            Thanks, Ruben!

            > What software did you use to control the telescope remotely?

            My imaging software setup follows:

            AP ASCOM Driver
            TheSky6
            MaximDL 5.07 (may need to be updated soon)
            CCDAutopilot 4
            FocusMax
            Astrodon Takometer to control the rotator
            Robofocus

            I connect to the remote computer via Windows Remote Desktop. I was surprised by that myself, but Ben the tech support fellow set me up for that. I was ready to use Radmin, which I've used for remote control in the past, but when set up right Windows Remote Desktop works just fine! Who knew?

            > How do you cover the telescope front end remotely, or do you leave the optics exposed?

            Right now, I leave the optics exposed. I'll just have to make sure to blow dust off the lenses ever now and then, I suppose. I am considering getting a FlipFlat to work both as a scope cover and a flat-on-demand imager, but I'm currently concerned about it catching winds and doing who knows what kind of damage (at the very least, messing up images!).

            Eric