Adding new pictures to CCD Calc

  • chanang@sbcglobal.net
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 7, 2011
      Hi All,

      New to the group. Amateur backyard astrophotographer.
      I love CCD Calc very useful application.

      I want to know if there a guide on how to take your own imgaes and scale them the right way so I can add them to the CCDCalc image library?

      Thanks,
      Chanan
      www.greenhawkobservatory.com
    • astromfm
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 8, 2011
        I haven't tried any of my own, but Neil Fleming has produced a number of additional images (http://www.flemingastrophotography.com/astrotools.html). I also did a few more myself a while back using Bob Franke's ezSkyView program (http://bf-astro.com/ezskyview.htm). I used 360 in the "Image Size in Pixels" box, and 10 in the "Image Scale ArcSec/Pixel" box, which gave me the same image scale as the CCDcalc images. Then just typed in the Target Name and did the searches. The interface doesn't return color images, so I just picked the best DSS B or R image and opened the jpg then right-clicked to download it as a jpg pic (I suppose one could synthesize color images from the R & B images, but monochrome was enough for me to see how the object would frame in CCDcalc). Put the images in your CCDcalc folder, rename them so you can select them, and they will come up on the selection box. I did all of the Caldwell Objects and Steve O'Meara's Hidden Treasures that weren't already included in the original CCDcalc or in Neil Fleming's additional images. I could post the ones I did to the files section if there was some interest.
        ...Keith

        --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, "chanang@..." <chanang@...> wrote:

        > Hi All,
        >
        > New to the group. Amateur backyard astrophotographer.
        > I love CCD Calc very useful application.
        >
        > I want to know if there a guide on how to take your own imgaes and scale them the right way so I can add them to the CCDCalc image library?
        >
        > Thanks,
        > Chanan
        > www.greenhawkobservatory.com

      • Neil Fleming
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 9, 2011
          That works too.  I've been using the SkyView query form, but Bob's tool should
          get the same results!  I usually go one step further by using Registar to align
          the image that caught my eye to the reference image.  The final version gives
          credit to the photographer, whom I contact for permission.

          The basic spec for an image is that it must be 360 pixels square, and cover 1
          degree of sky, square.

          Yes, Keith, I'd love to see the ones you've produced.  My latest batch of images
          is about 14Mb zipped, so I don't know if the file section will take that.
          They're still available at the link provided below, though.

            IHTH...Neil

          www.flemingastrophotography.com
          Also check out the astro_narrowbandYahoo group!

          ________________________________

          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 9, 2011
            Follow-up:  This spurred me to zip up my latest.  There are now 436 images
            rather than 234.  At 31Mb, still a substantial download.

            Available at:
            http://www.flemingastrophotography.com/astrotools.html

               Cheers...Neil

            www.flemingastrophotography.com
            Also check out the astro_narrowbandYahoo group!

            ________________________________

            I haven't tried any of my own, but Neil Fleming has produced a number of
            additional images (http://www.flemingastrophotography.com/astrotools.html). I
            also did a few more myself a while back using Bob Franke's ezSkyView program
            (http://bf-astro.com/ezskyview.htm). I used 360 in the "Image Size in Pixels"
            box, and 10 in the "Image Scale ArcSec/Pixel" box, which gave me the same image
            scale as the CCDcalc images. Then just typed in the Target Name and did the
            searches. The interface doesn't return color images, so I just picked the best
            DSS B or R image and opened the jpg then right-clicked to download it as a jpg
            pic (I suppose one could synthesize color images from the R & B images, but
            monochrome was enough for me to see how the object would frame in CCDcalc). Put
            the images in your CCDcalc folder, rename them so you can select them, and they
            will come up on the selection box. I did all of the Caldwell Objects and Steve
            O'Meara's Hidden Treasures that weren't already included in the original CCDcalc

            or in Neil Fleming's additional images. I could post the ones I did to the files

            section if there was some interest.

            ...Keith

            --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, "chanang@..." <chanang@...> wrote:

            > Hi All,
            >
            > New to the group. Amateur backyard astrophotographer.
            > I love CCD Calc very useful application.
            >
            > I want to know if there a guide on how to take your own imgaes and scale them
            >the right way so I can add them to the CCDCalc image library?
            >
            > Thanks,
            > Chanan
            > www.greenhawkobservatory.com

          • Barry Morton
            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 9, 2011
              Thanks Neil - excellent.
              Barry Morton
              Worcester - UK

              --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, Neil Fleming <neilfleming@...> wrote:

              > Follow-up:  This spurred me to zip up my latest.  There are now 436 images
              > rather than 234.  At 31Mb, still a substantial download.
              >
              > Available at:
              > http://www.flemingastrophotography.com/astrotools.html
              >
              >    Cheers...Neil
              >
              > www.flemingastrophotography.com
              > Direct from Boston - brilliant diamonds in pea soup
              > Also check out the astro_narrowbandYahoo group!
              >

              > ________________________________

            • Wes Atchison
              Message 6 of 8 , Feb 9, 2011
                Thanks Neil, nice work.

                Wes

                Message 7 of 8 , Feb 10, 2011
                  You're welcome, Wes.  Glad that you and some others find this useful.

                     Cheers...Neil

                  Message 8 of 8 , Feb 10, 2011
                    Thanks Neil. I'll have to go through mine to see if there's anything that you haven't done already!
                    ...Keith