Baader filters versus Astrodon filters

  • Bernard Miller
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 23, 2011
      Hi,

      I currently have Baader filters for my ST8300M. I am considering getting the
      Astrodon filters. Can those that have the Astrodon, especially if you have
      compared them to the Baader, give opinions as to whether it is worth the
      thousand dollar investment for an Ha, LRGB set of Astrodon filters. The
      Astrodon's are certainly more expensive. I am just looking for opinions as
      to whether they are worth the money.

      Thanks,

      Bernard

    • marcjousset
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 24, 2011
        Hi Bernard,

        The Baader filters works very properly for LRGB use, parfocal, no reflection. The Astrodon filters are only interesting for narrowband imaging (SHO) as you have the opportunity to choose narrower bandwidth than with the Baader's, IMO. Usefull for Ha work or under light polluted area.

        Regards,

        Marc
        http://www.astrosurf.com/jousset

        --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, "Bernard Miller" <bgmiller011@...> wrote:

        > Hi,
        >
        > I currently have Baader filters for my ST8300M. I am considering getting the
        > Astrodon filters. Can those that have the Astrodon, especially if you have
        > compared them to the Baader, give opinions as to whether it is worth the
        > thousand dollar investment for an Ha, LRGB set of Astrodon filters. The
        > Astrodon's are certainly more expensive. I am just looking for opinions as
        > to whether they are worth the money.
        >
        > Thanks,
        >
        > Bernard

      • Hap Griffin
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 24, 2011
          One of my key points when deciding on filters for my QSI 583 was halos. I searched the web looking for images and checking for halos around bright stars and noting which filters (if listed) were used. M45 is a great test for this as the stars are bright and will cause halos with lesser quality filters. The Astrodon’s (Generation 2’s) are noted for a lack of halos. My experience has been that this is true in reality. Here is my recent image of M45 through Astrodon LRGB filters (I have the HA as well)...

          http://www.astrophotogallery.org/imaging-infinityccd/p6857-m45.html

          Hap Griffin

          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 24, 2011
            Hi Bernard,

            I can't compare brands, but I can tell you what to look for to get lowest level of reflections. The older filters used coatings called MgF2 which work well, but are not as good as the newer Braod Band Anti Relection (BBAR) coatings. The AstroDon Gen 1 I believe are the MgF2 and the Gen 2 are BBAR. The anti reflection "quality" vary's with color frequency, but my search on the web indicated that BBAR generally is maybe 5-8 times less reflection.

            I used Gen 1 filters for a couple years, and recently upgraded to a Gen 2 set. The difference is striking, and worth it for me.

            Just asking how AstroDon compares with Baader won't give a true comparison - you have to know what kind of coatings are used.

            Don