Contaminated SBIG ST2000XM

  • ramastronomy
    Message 1 of 15 , Dec 30, 2010
      Hi SBIG gurus,

      Please help me I'm bordering on suicidal. I live near the equator. Our astro season has just started. I wasted the whole season last year trying to fix my foggy SBIG ST2000XM. As soon as I take my CCD out at night and cool it, the CCD fogs up. I baked, fried and grilled the desiccant (at SBIG's advice, meager as it is) without any improvements at all. I left the camera in a warm dry place for extended periods or time hoping the moisture will disappear. Again no success. It's back this season with a vengeance. as soon as I activate the CCDSoft temperature control, it fogs up. Leaving it to warm up again generates a clear eye pattern on the CCD surrounded by foggy edges.

      I tried taking pictures at ambient temperature. It worked but the quality is not stellar at this level of sensitivity.

      I would really appreciate any advice. I barely got any mileage out of it. Can't afford to buy a new one in this millennium.

      Thanks!

      R,
      Message 2 of 15 , Dec 30, 2010
        Two possibilities:

        * You do not have a good seal, and moisture is easily finding its way into the desiccant chamber.

        * The condensation isn't in the desiccant chamber at all, but on other surfaces (typically, the outside or inside of the camera's window).

        So the first job is to find out where the condensation occurs: in the chip chamber, or on the camera window. You can then take appropriate steps to deal with the problem.

        Ron Wodaski

        On Dec 30, 2010, at 10:22 AM, ramastronomy wrote:

        > Hi SBIG gurus,
        >
        > Please help me I'm bordering on suicidal. I live near the equator. Our astro season has just started. I wasted the whole season last year trying to fix my foggy SBIG ST2000XM. As soon as I take my CCD out at night and cool it, the CCD fogs up. I baked, fried and grilled the desiccant (at SBIG's advice, meager as it is) without any improvements at all. I left the camera in a warm dry place for extended periods or time hoping the moisture will disappear. Again no success. It's back this season with a vengeance. as soon as I activate the CCDSoft temperature control, it fogs up. Leaving it to warm up again generates a clear eye pattern on the CCD surrounded by foggy edges.
        >
        > I tried taking pictures at ambient temperature. It worked but the quality is not stellar at this level of sensitivity.
        >
        > I would really appreciate any advice. I barely got any mileage out of it. Can't afford to buy a new one in this millennium.
        >
        > Thanks!
        >
        > R,
        >

        > ------------------------------------

      • ramastronomy
        Message 3 of 15 , Dec 30, 2010
          Hi Ron,

          Thank you so much for your quick reply. When I set the CCD to take a long exposure and I point a light inside, I see that the small rectangular glass of the CCD chip is foggy. Does this mean that the moisture is in the chip chamber?

          Best regards,

          R,

          Message 4 of 15 , Dec 30, 2010
            Assuming you can correctly identify the surface that way (always have to be sure; it sounds like you are saying that the shutter is open because you are viewing this while taking a long exposure), you need to determine if the condensation is on the inside or the outside of that surface.

            You might try removing the camera, starting cooling, and observing what you see. Looking down the tube of the scope is not the ideal way to see exactly what you've got.

            FWIW, I once had a camera that had so much condensation _inside_ the camera body that there was a pool of water inside the camera. So the outside of the chip chamber had condensation on it every night. I could evaporate it by warming the camera by about 20C, and then slowing cooling it back down 10C.

            But the problem was only ever really solved by removing the large amount of water that had collected inside the camera.

            Ron Wodaski

            On Dec 30, 2010, at 10:48 AM, ramastronomy wrote:

            > Hi Ron,
            >
            > Thank you so much for your quick reply. When I set the CCD to take a long exposure and I point a light inside, I see that the small rectangular glass of the CCD chip is foggy. Does this mean that the moisture is in the chip chamber?
            >
            > Best regards,
            >
            > R,
            >

            > --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, Ron Wodaski <yahoo@...> wrote:
            >>
            >> Two possibilities:
            >>
            >> * You do not have a good seal, and moisture is easily finding its way into the desiccant chamber.
            >>
            >> * The condensation isn't in the desiccant chamber at all, but on other surfaces (typically, the outside or inside of the camera's window).
            >>
            >> So the first job is to find out where the condensation occurs: in the chip chamber, or on the camera window. You can then take appropriate steps to deal with the problem.
            >>
            >> Ron Wodaski
            >>

            >> On Dec 30, 2010, at 10:22 AM, ramastronomy wrote:
            >>
            >>> Hi SBIG gurus,
            >>>
            >>> Please help me I'm bordering on suicidal. I live near the equator. Our astro season has just started. I wasted the whole season last year trying to fix my foggy SBIG ST2000XM. As soon as I take my CCD out at night and cool it, the CCD fogs up. I baked, fried and grilled the desiccant (at SBIG's advice, meager as it is) without any improvements at all. I left the camera in a warm dry place for extended periods or time hoping the moisture will disappear. Again no success. It's back this season with a vengeance. as soon as I activate the CCDSoft temperature control, it fogs up. Leaving it to warm up again generates a clear eye pattern on the CCD surrounded by foggy edges.
            >>>
            >>> I tried taking pictures at ambient temperature. It worked but the quality is not stellar at this level of sensitivity.
            >>>
            >>> I would really appreciate any advice. I barely got any mileage out of it. Can't afford to buy a new one in this millennium.
            >>>
            >>> Thanks!
            >>>
            >>> R,

          • ramastronomy
            Message 5 of 15 , Dec 30, 2010
              Indeed I looked straight into the camera hole without a scope in the middle. Your analysis gave me an idea to use a Q-tip to check if the moisture is on the inside or outside of the CCD chip glass.

              Thank you so much Ron for your big help! And Happy New Year!

              Best regards,

              R,,

              --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, Ron Wodaski <yahoo@...> wrote:

              > Assuming you can correctly identify the surface that way (always have to be sure; it sounds like you are saying that the shutter is open because you are viewing this while taking a long exposure), you need to determine if the condensation is on the inside or the outside of that surface.
              >
              > You might try removing the camera, starting cooling, and observing what you see. Looking down the tube of the scope is not the ideal way to see exactly what you've got.
              >
              > FWIW, I once had a camera that had so much condensation _inside_ the camera body that there was a pool of water inside the camera. So the outside of the chip chamber had condensation on it every night. I could evaporate it by warming the camera by about 20C, and then slowing cooling it back down 10C.
              >
              > But the problem was only ever really solved by removing the large amount of water that had collected inside the camera.
              >
              > Ron Wodaski
              >

              > On Dec 30, 2010, at 10:48 AM, ramastronomy wrote:
              >
              > > Hi Ron,
              > >
              > > Thank you so much for your quick reply. When I set the CCD to take a long exposure and I point a light inside, I see that the small rectangular glass of the CCD chip is foggy. Does this mean that the moisture is in the chip chamber?
              > >
              > > Best regards,
              > >
              > > R,
              > >

              > > --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, Ron Wodaski <yahoo@> wrote:
              > >>
              > >> Two possibilities:
              > >>
              > >> * You do not have a good seal, and moisture is easily finding its way into the desiccant chamber.
              > >>
              > >> * The condensation isn't in the desiccant chamber at all, but on other surfaces (typically, the outside or inside of the camera's window).
              > >>
              > >> So the first job is to find out where the condensation occurs: in the chip chamber, or on the camera window. You can then take appropriate steps to deal with the problem.
              > >>
              > >> Ron Wodaski

            • ramastronomy
              Message 6 of 15 , Dec 30, 2010
                Good point. Makes perfect sense. Thanks Lou!

                --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, "FocusKnobs" <focusknobs@...> wrote:

                > I would not use a Q-Tip. You'll leave dust and fibers all over the
                > surface. Look at the reflection of a bright light off the window. It
                > should be obvious if the condensation is on the inside or outside
                > surface of the window.
                >
                > Lou

              • FocusKnobs

                  Message 8 of 15 , Dec 30, 2010
                    Probably an obvious question, but is the O-ring on your plug?

                    > Good point. Makes perfect sense. Thanks Lou!
                    >

                    > --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, "FocusKnobs" <focusknobs@...> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > I would not use a Q-Tip. You'll leave dust and fibers all over the
                    > > surface. Look at the reflection of a bright light off the window. It
                    > > should be obvious if the condensation is on the inside or outside
                    > > surface of the window.
                    > >
                    > > Lou

                  • ramastronomy
                    Message 9 of 15 , Dec 30, 2010
                      I'm sorry I don't get it. Which plug?

                      --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, "Dean S" <dean@...> wrote:

                      > Probably an obvious question, but is the O-ring on your plug?

                    • Thouse
                      Message 10 of 15 , Dec 30, 2010
                        Dean is talking bout the desiccant plug that you heat, there is an
                        o-ring on the bottom that MUST be in good shape and installed correctly.

                        Tom

                        On 12/30/2010 12:54 PM, ramastronomy wrote:

                        > I'm sorry I don't get it. Which plug?
                        >
                        > --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com
                        > <mailto:ccd-newastro%40yahoogroups.com>, "Dean S" <dean@...> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > Probably an obvious question, but is the O-ring on your plug?

                      • ramastronomy
                        Message 11 of 15 , Dec 30, 2010
                          I checked and indeed the O-ring is in place. It looks brand new. I barely used the camera so far. Maybe 5 times.

                          Thanks Tom and Dean!

                          --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, Thouse <look-up1@...> wrote:

                          > Dean is talking bout the desiccant plug that you heat, there is an
                          > o-ring on the bottom that MUST be in good shape and installed correctly.
                          >
                          > Tom
                        • Dean S
                          Message 12 of 15 , Dec 31, 2010
                            And again just to make sure, you should also have a dummy plug that is only
                            used to seal the camera when baking the dessicant plug.

                            If it was mine I would take it apart and make sure there are no other seals
                            not in the proper place. Do this carefully in a clean place of course.

                            Dean

                            >I checked and indeed the O-ring is in place. It looks brand new. I barely
                            >used the camera so far. Maybe 5 times.
                            >
                            > Thanks Tom and Dean!
                            >

                            > --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, Thouse <look-up1@...> wrote:
                            >>
                            >> Dean is talking bout the desiccant plug that you heat, there is an
                            >> o-ring on the bottom that MUST be in good shape and installed correctly.
                            >>
                            >> Tom
                            >

                            > ------------------------------------

                          • ramastronomy
                            Message 13 of 15 , Jan 1, 2011
                              I don't think I have the guts ( or dexterity) to do that :)

                              R,

                              --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, "Dean S" <dean@...> wrote:

                              > And again just to make sure, you should also have a dummy plug that is only
                              > used to seal the camera when baking the dessicant plug.
                              >
                              > If it was mine I would take it apart and make sure there are no other seals
                              > not in the proper place. Do this carefully in a clean place of course.
                              >
                              > Dean

                            • Terry Platt
                              Message 14 of 15 , Jan 2, 2011
                                Hi

                                One method that I have used with success in the past (although not on an SBIG camera), is to open the CCD chamber by removing the desiccant plug and then 'baking' the whole camera at about 50C for several hours. I used a small electric oven with a thermostat and the process drove all of the moisture out of the CCD chamber. Screw the regenerated desiccant plug back in while the camera is still warm after the bake.

                                Regards,
                                Terry

                                I don't think I have the guts ( or dexterity) to do that :)

                                R,

                                --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, "Dean S" <dean@...> wrote:

                                > And again just to make sure, you should also have a dummy plug that is only
                                > used to seal the camera when baking the dessicant plug.
                                >
                                > If it was mine I would take it apart and make sure there are no other seals
                                > not in the proper place. Do this carefully in a clean place of course.
                                >
                                > Dean

                              • ramastronomy
                                Message 15 of 15 , Jan 3, 2011
                                  Thank you so much Terry. Sounds like a logical solution to suck the moisture out. I'll run it by SBIG to check if it can cause any damage.

                                  R,