Re: Lunar RGB

  • geoff
    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 15, 2010
      The FFT works beautifully on the moon in ccdstack. The other night I took a number of whole moon pictures through an ED80 using a DSLR. I like to get a whole moon shot before getting detailed shots with a DMK video cam and a bigger scope. Registax seems to have real trouble loading the big DSLR files, and I've never succeeded in aligning them, but as I said, CCDStack has no problem loading and aligning.
      Geoff

    • jfmiller7@comcast.net
      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 15, 2010
        Thanks Stan. I assume that is from Registax . I'll check it out.

        regards ,

        Jim
        > Since there will not be stars, I suspect I cannot use CCDstack
        > to register the images.

        Sure you can - use the FFT alignment method.

        Stan

        Tyhnaks stan .

      • mmanner
        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 16, 2010
          Jim, FFT is implemented in CCDStack2, no need to use Registax. I wasn't sure based on your comment below whether that was clear. Sorry if I misunderstood.
          Mark

          --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, jfmiller7@... wrote:

          > Thanks Stan. I assume that is from Registax . I'll check it out.
          >

          > regards ,
          >

          > Jim

        • mmanner
          Message 4 of 11 , Dec 16, 2010
            On the initial align using FFT in CCDStack2 for lunar or planetary images, are you using shift or shift and rotate? I don't see much difference, but my experience with it is limited. Also, what method are you using to apply the alignment?
            Thanks, Mark

            --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, "geoff" <ghsmith45@...> wrote:

            > The FFT works beautifully on the moon in ccdstack. The other night I took a number of whole moon pictures through an ED80 using a DSLR. I like to get a whole moon shot before getting detailed shots with a DMK video cam and a bigger scope. Registax seems to have real trouble loading the big DSLR files, and I've never succeeded in aligning them, but as I said, CCDStack has no problem loading and aligning.
            > Geoff
            >
            > --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, "Stan" <stan_ccd@> wrote:
            > >
            > > --- "jfmiller7" <jfmiller7@> wrote:
            > > > Since there will not be stars, I suspect I cannot use CCDstack
            > > > to register the images.
            > >
            > > Sure you can - use the FFT alignment method.
            > >
            > > Stan

          • Stan
            Message 5 of 11 , Dec 16, 2010
              --- jfmiller7@... wrote:
              > I assume that is from Registax

              The FFT I was refering to is a CCDStack alignment method.

              But Registax is designed specifically for lunar/planetary and should do a good job.

              Stan
            • jfmiller7@comcast.net
              Message 6 of 11 , Dec 16, 2010
                Thanks Stan, I have CCDStack , and have noticed the FFT tab in registration but never used it. I will check it out. Current weather report for early Tuesday morning in Colorado calls for snow. We are in a bit of a moisture drought here, and it has to snow on the night of the eclipse? Some things never change.

                appreciate the help,

                Jim

                Message 7 of 11 , Dec 16, 2010
                  Thanks , I would prefer to use CCDstack since I already have it. I have historically used starsnap with DSOs and have not used FFT . I did not realize  FFT could be used with objects like planets or the moon without stars.

                  thanks ,

                  Jim
                  Jim, FFT is implemented in CCDStack2, no need to use Registax . I wasn't sure based on your comment below whether that was clear. Sorry if I misunderstood.
                  Mark

                  --- In ccd -newastro@ yahoogroups .com , jfmiller7@... wrote:

                  > Thanks Stan. I assume that is from Registax . I'll check it out.
                  >

                  > regards ,
                  >

                  > Jim

                • CurtisC
                  Message 8 of 11 , Dec 17, 2010
                    Awhile back Stan suggested I try FFT. Like you, I'd never previously paid much attention to the tab. It's hard to predict which alignment tool will work. Sometimes star-snap works perfectly, sometimes I have to use FFT, and vice versa. I've had cases where, say, the red frames aligned easily with star-snap, but the blue frames only worked with FFT. When it goes bad, I get spiraling star patterns. With star-snap, usually the auto-select of alignment stars works perfectly, but sometimes I have to manually select them. I'm glad I have more than one tool!

                  • jfmiller7@comcast.net
                    Message 9 of 11 , Dec 17, 2010
                      Works like  a champ.

                      many thanks,