Fw: advise on a pier needed..

  • COR SIMONS
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 1, 2010
      dear Astro friends,

      please, could one of you guys help me out by letting me know where to get ( for a decent price) a good pier???????

      thanks a lot

      All the best

      cornelis.
    • Mike Dodd
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 1, 2010
        COR SIMONS wrote:

        > please, could one of you guys help me out by letting me know where to
        > get ( for a decent price) a good pier???????

        Dig a hole in the ground, insert a 12" Sonotube, and pour in concrete.
        Total cost, less than $20.

        Mike Dodd
        Montpelier, VA USA
        http://astronomy.mdodd.com

        Building a new house and observatory in 2010 -
        http://house.mdodd.com/observatory.html
      • Ron Brant
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 1, 2010
          I would add, include rebar to prevent cracking and separating.
          rb
          > please, could one of you guys help me out by letting me know where to
          > get ( for a decent price) a good pier???????

          Dig a hole in the ground, insert a 12" Sonotube, and pour in concrete.
          Total cost, less than $20.

          Mike Dodd
          Montpelier, VA USA
          http://astronomy.mdodd.com

          Building a new house and observatory in 2010 -
          http://house.mdodd.com/observatory.html

        • Paul
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 1, 2010
            you could try the pier tech 3..

            Sent from my Verizon Wireless Phone

            Mike Dodd <mike@...> wrote:

            >COR SIMONS wrote:
            >>
            >> please, could one of you guys help me out by letting me know where to
            >> get ( for a decent price) a good pier???????
            >

            >Dig a hole in the ground, insert a 12" Sonotube, and pour in concrete.
            >Total cost, less than $20.
            >--
            >Mike
            >
            >Mike Dodd
            >Montpelier, VA USA
            >http://astronomy.mdodd.com
            >
            >Building a new house and observatory in 2010 -
            >http://house.mdodd.com/observatory.html
            >

            >------------------------------------

          • James Prink
            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 1, 2010
              I would also add a mounting plate on top or at least threaded rods protruding from the concrete for attachment of the mount (as needed).

              I would add, include rebar to prevent cracking and separating.
              rb
              > please, could one of you guys help me out by letting me know where to
              > get ( for a decent price) a good pier???????

              Dig a hole in the ground, insert a 12" Sonotube, and pour in concrete.
              Total cost, less than $20.

              Mike Dodd
              Montpelier, VA USA
              http://astronomy.mdodd.com

              Building a new house and observatory in 2010 -
              http://house.mdodd.com/observatory.html

            • Mike
              Message 6 of 6 , Dec 2, 2010
                I have built two 12" piers. Here's a link to some notes I took after
                building the first one:

                http://www.moonfolk.com/pier.htm

                -Mike Renzi

                <http://www.starhoo.com/> Starhoo Observatory