Scientific CMOS

  • Stan
    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 1, 2010
      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 1, 2010
        Actually, I was intrigued by that camera. Do you happen to know the price? When I've queried on some of their scientific camera in the past, they have come in around $35k.

        Ron Wodaski

        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 1, 2010
          I wonder if there is a chip that an amateur camera could be built
          around? Kinda like the Audine Project.

          George

          On Dec 1, 2010, at 10:28 AM, Stan wrote:

          > http://www.andor.com/scientific_cameras/neo_scmos_camera/?utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=So+it+begins+The+Neo+sCMOS+Camera+from+Andor&utm_content=So+it+begins+The+Neo+sCMOS+Camera+from+Andor+CID_e53bee81df2234d8e81b7678eaf0df06&utm_source=CampaignMonitor&utm_term=Overview
          >
          > Of course, if you have to ask the price then you can't afford it!
          >
          > Stan

        • Stan
          Message 4 of 11 , Dec 1, 2010
            --- Ron Wodaski <yahoo@...> wrote:
            > When I've queried on some of their scientific camera in the past,
            > they have come in around $35k.

            That's the price range of their EMCCDs. I've found that they usually don't publish prices and you must talk with a sales rep (who often doesn't bother returning emails/calls from non-associated individuals, though you should not have that problem).

            Stan
          • Stan
            Message 5 of 11 , Dec 1, 2010
              Ron,

              I've found that many of these high priced scientific cameras use an antiquated and truly horrible digital interface (camera-link) with expensive and clunky proprietary software. So be sure to inquire about those issues...

              Stan
              Message 6 of 11 , Dec 1, 2010
                There is a lower level interface available, but you have to negotiate your way to it. I know this because we talked with them about a custom interface a few years ago.

                Ron Wodaski

                Message 7 of 11 , Dec 1, 2010
                  Oops - that discussion was with a different manufacturer. Haven't talked with Andor about what's available.

                  Ron Wodaski

                  On Dec 1, 2010, at 12:16 PM, Ron Wodaski wrote:

                  > There is a lower level interface available, but you have to negotiate your way to it. I know this because we talked with them about a custom interface a few years ago.
                  >
                  > Ron Wodaski
                  >

                  > On Dec 1, 2010, at 10:13 AM, Stan wrote:
                  >
                  >> Ron,
                  >>
                  >> I've found that many of these high priced scientific cameras use an antiquated and truly horrible digital interface (camera-link) with expensive and clunky proprietary software. So be sure to inquire about those issues...
                  >>
                  >> Stan
                  >>

                  >> ------------------------------------
                  >>

                  > ------------------------------------

                • Robert Klingberg
                  Message 8 of 11 , Dec 1, 2010
                    Hello George, Stan, and Ron
                    You may find these FPA's of interest.
                    http://www.rockwellscientific.com/imaging/standard_products.html
                    Bob K.

                    I wonder if there is a chip that an amateur camera could be built
                    around? Kinda like the Audine Project.

                    George

                    On Dec 1, 2010, at 10:28 AM, Stan wrote:

                    http://www.andor.com/scientific_cameras/neo_scmos_camera/?utm_medium=email&u
                    tm_campaign=So+it+begins+The+Neo+sCMOS+Camera+from+Andor&utm_content=So+it+b
                    egins+The+Neo+sCMOS+Camera+from+Andor+CID_e53bee81df2234d8e81b7678eaf0df06&u
                    tm_source=CampaignMonitor&utm_term=Overview

                    > Of course, if you have to ask the price then you can't afford it!
                    >
                    > Stan

                    ------------------------------------
                  • William Carroll
                    Message 9 of 11 , Dec 2, 2010
                      FWIW

                      The sCMOS Sensor itself CIS2051 is not available for other project according
                      to Fairchild sales.

                      it is only available with their camera and are "contractually" obligated to
                      only provide this sensor for that use.

                      William Carroll

                      Message 10 of 11 , Dec 3, 2010
                        I asked for a quote; these are $23k.

                        Ron Wodaski

                        On Dec 1, 2010, at 9:30 AM, Ron Wodaski wrote:

                        > Actually, I was intrigued by that camera. Do you happen to know the price? When I've queried on some of their scientific camera in the past, they have come in around $35k.
                        >
                        > Ron Wodaski
                        >

                        > On Dec 1, 2010, at 9:28 AM, Stan wrote:
                        >
                        >> http://www.andor.com/scientific_cameras/neo_scmos_camera/?utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=So+it+begins+The+Neo+sCMOS+Camera+from+Andor&utm_content=So+it+begins+The+Neo+sCMOS+Camera+from+Andor+CID_e53bee81df2234d8e81b7678eaf0df06&utm_source=CampaignMonitor&utm_term=Overview
                        >>
                        >> Of course, if you have to ask the price then you can't afford it!
                        >>
                        >> Stan

                      • Stan
                        Message 11 of 11 , Dec 3, 2010
                          --- "William Carroll" <yahoo@...> wrote:
                          > The sCMOS Sensor itself CIS2051 is not available for
                          > other project according to Fairchild sales...

                          Hopefully that CMOS technology will percolate downwards and eventually an affordable detector with similar qualities may become available. But of course the manufacturers are falling all over themselves making tiny Bayer chips for cell-phone cameras, which are useless for astro. And most of the larger CMOS are proprietary and Bayer which puts them off-limits for astro-cameras.

                          BTW, I recently got a Nex-5 and the Sony CMOS is at least as good as Canon in terms of QE and noise.

                          Stan