Re: [ccd-newastro] Re: The Sky 6 upgrade to The Sky X

    Message 1 of 23 , Aug 5, 2010
      This really isn't the place for rants. We're not into the business part of the astro imaging process here; there are other places to share about that. And my advice is pretty simple: take your problem to Software Bisque and try to work out a solution. Better to try to solve it than to complain about it people here who can't do anything about it. <g>

      So let's quite the bashing and get back to our regularly scheduled programming: learning how to do this stuff. That's plenty challenging enough.

      Ron Wodaski

    • maxmsm
      Message 2 of 23 , Aug 5, 2010
        ( Well pretty harmless rant, IMO.)

        Anyhow, TheSky 6 came with serial number you could use it where ever you wanted. Offically this should have been no more than 2 computers.

        I generally use it with two computers. I am sure I have had on three at times. Maybe I loaded it on my wife's laptop for trip etc.

        I just downloaded TheSky X I think it is the same, it the honor system. They do realise people have more than computer.

        I think you could talk with about this. Perhaps there is a bit of wriggly room. Obviously, they should get more pay if you have complex system that alows multiple users.

      • maxmsm
        Message 3 of 23 , Aug 5, 2010
          BTW, We should really take about the product.

          My thoughts on the upgrade so far.

          Big improvement on the look and feel.
          Navigation and responsiveness is much better.
          It has many new features I have not explored yet.

          The Tpoint has 90day trail that I started.

          Tpoint has their version of " automapper" built in. Looks nice.
          I imported my current T point data set to see what it could do.
          Spun out the same modelling terms that I have now with less fuse.

          I do use and need a Planetarium Program and TheSkyX is it.
          It is an improvement.

          Will it do more than TheSKY6 and Current Version of TPoint etc during an imaging session?
          For me I doubt it.

          Max
          Message 4 of 23 , Aug 5, 2010
            I see that Bisque offers a 6-computer extension for users who want that. Seems reasonable to me.

            We (Tzec Maun Foundation) purchased the Universal Subscription, which is how we put TheSky and related products on multiple telescopes and their associated comptuers.

            But we are not really here to discuss the business side of things. And we are especially not here for incomplete analyses of business models. If someone wants to get all the facts together, and then post an education summary of what's out there, that's one thing, and we would be inclined to allow a post like that through. But there really is no place here for opinions about business models. We're about the technology. There are other places to discuss that stuff.

            I like your suggestions, Max, and none of the above is aimed at you. I'm just trying to make our policy clear: technical and education: yes. Opinions and business practices: no. There are lots of groups out there, each has its focus; ours is technical information and education.

            And I would add to that:if you have a problem with a vendor or their policies, the place to go is to the vendor. Who better to work with you and get the problem resolved? And if you have an opinion about a vendor's policies or business practices, who better to talk to about it than the vendor, directly?

            So we will remain focused on the technical and educational aspects of astro imaging. Render under the vendor what is the vendor's, and unto the user what is the user's. Or something along those lines. <g>

            Now, perhaps, back to our regularly scheduled programming. <wink>

            Ron Wodaski