Ultra faint tidal stream around M104

  • Michael
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 2, 2010
      Some time ago I saw a deep enhanced Schmidt plate by David Malin showing never before seen faint extensions surrounding The Sombrero galaxy M104 with a faint tidal stream also visible.

      Could these faint features be extracted from the 210min of data I had taken recently using a modern sensitive CCD and 6" telescope...?...the answer is YES

      Deep M104:
      http://www.pbase.com/strongmanmike2002/image/126173938/original

      I was amazed to see the tidal stream loop below and slightly to the right of the galaxy. Tidal Streams are the faint remains of long ago torn apart companion galaxies.

      The superimposed normal shot of M104 on Davids photograph gives an idea of just how far reaching these faint features are.

      I would estimate the surface brightness of the faintest extensions visible to be somewhere around 28mag/square arc sec perhaps..?

      Click on the image to see the rest of the "normally" processed image versions.

      I had managed to reveal similarly faint details around Centaurus A but that was with 15 hours of Luminance data collected from a perfect dark site, to me being able to see similarly faint details in just 3hrs worth of data taken through a 6" telescope from semi rural skies is really quite incredible.

      Deep Cen A: http://www.pbase.com/strongmanmike2002/image/110608746/original

      Mike
    • DaveH
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 3, 2010
        Mike
        Thats pretty impressive.
        I am also a "deep" junkie...or becoming one.But with an early SBIG,and bad sky.
        Which camera is this with.?
        Any further details appreciated.
        Going up against better gear is always a good excercise.

        Dave
        --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, "Michael" <m.sidonio@...> wrote:

        > Some time ago I saw a deep enhanced Schmidt plate by David Malin showing never before seen faint extensions surrounding The Sombrero galaxy M104 with a faint tidal stream also visible.
        >
        > Could these faint features be extracted from the 210min of data I had taken recently using a modern sensitive CCD and 6" telescope...?...the answer is YES
        >
        > Deep M104:
        > http://www.pbase.com/strongmanmike2002/image/126173938/original
        >
        > I was amazed to see the tidal stream loop below and slightly to the right of the galaxy. Tidal Streams are the faint remains of long ago torn apart companion galaxies.
        >
        > The superimposed normal shot of M104 on Davids photograph gives an idea of just how far reaching these faint features are.
        >
        > I would estimate the surface brightness of the faintest extensions visible to be somewhere around 28mag/square arc sec perhaps..?
        >
        > Click on the image to see the rest of the "normally" processed image versions.
        >
        > I had managed to reveal similarly faint details around Centaurus A but that was with 15 hours of Luminance data collected from a perfect dark site, to me being able to see similarly faint details in just 3hrs worth of data taken through a 6" telescope from semi rural skies is really quite incredible.
        >
        > Deep Cen A: http://www.pbase.com/strongmanmike2002/image/110608746/original
        >
        > Mike

      • Michael
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 3, 2010
          Hi Dave

          Cheers for that glad you liked it, the detail extracted surprised me too.

          Err?...the equipment used is detailed under the image mate LOL :-)

          I am using an FLI ProLine 16803 with CFW-5-7 and the latest generation of low reflection Astronomik filters. The ProLine is proving to be an excellent camera - very low noise, fast downloads, excellent cooling ie even with such a big chip (37mm X 37mm) the camera can get it to 58C below ambient and gets it there in just a few minutes. It has anti dew technology via heater strips fitted to the CCD window which itself is ultra low reflection glass too, to reduce any chance of contribution to reflection halos. All in all seems to be the beez kneez at this stage :-)

          Mike