Re: What telescope for webcam?

  • phils67
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 30, 2010
      Any type of tracking mount should work for lunar imaging. Alt-az mounts will rotate the field as they track, but the short exposures that webcams use eliminate field rotation in individual frames. If the mount doesn't have a "lunar tracking" rate, there will be some drift in longer recordings but individual frame alignment during processing will compensate for this. Equatorial mounts will track without rotating the image but, unless you have a multi-thousand dollar mount, you probably still need to do frame alignment to eliminate tracking errors.

      A smaller scope can almost always be used on a mount that was designed for a bigger scope. You'll probably need to make some adapter to get the larger tube's support mechanism to hold the smaller tube in place. You'll have to decide how to do this.

      Phil

      --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, Qamar Uddin <qamar.uddin@...> wrote:

      > Hello,
      >
      > I have used a CCD sensor based webcam (Philips SPC900NC) to image the entire moon quite successfully.
      >
      > The telescope used with the above webcam was a Skywatcher Startravel 80 EQ1 (FL = 400 mm).
      >
      > What type of telescope do I need to automatically track the moon from before sunset (using a red filter) while using the same webcam?
      >
      > I was thinking of using a GO-TO mount telescope - but do not know of any on the market to match my webcam (i.e. F/5, FL=400 mm).
      >
      > Any help/suggestion would be appreciated.
      >
      > PS.
      > I have access to a Celestron NexStar 102 SLT telescope with GO-TO mount. Can the same mount be used with a NexStar 80GT tube??
      > http://www.celestron.com/prod_pgs/tel/nx80gt.htm
      >
      > Regards,
      >
      > Qamar Uddin, York (UK)
      > qamar.uddin@...

    • Alex Rey
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 1, 2010
        Ive found that I can even do desktop lunar imaging with a NEXSTAR 8SE scope aimed through my window-- its that easy. I just mount the scope on the desk and stack my 6.3 FR with my 0.5 FR and I can frame a full moon in a single image :)

        To: ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com
        From: plsherman@...
        Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2010 17:07:42 +0000
        Subject: [ccd-newastro] Re: What telescope for webcam?