Replacement of ST9XE

  • Umair Asim
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 1, 2010
      Hello group,

      I have been using ST9XE for a while now and seriously have no complaint
      about it. The only thing that i dont like is the size of the chip and with
      my setup at f/12, a lot of targets are not fully covered. I was wondering
      what you guys suggest me to look for. With my very warm temperatures (38 C
      at night), i would definitely want a camera which would have
      water assisted super internal cooling.

      Stuff i own:
      C14, TCF, SBIG AO8, Astrodon MOAG, SBIG RGH, SBIG CFW10.

      Your suggestions would be Much appreciated!

      Regards,

      Umair Asim
      www.umairasim.com

    • Terry Tuggle
      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 1, 2010
        Umair,

        There are not a lot of choices if you want to stick with all the gear
        you already have. The ST10XME is the best choice and most versatile.

        The ST9 gives you 0.95 as/p image scale. The ST10 would be 0.65 @ 2x2
        binning and 0.97 @ 3x3 binning. If you ever have the desire for widefield
        imaging also, it gives a very good image scale for 80mm to 100mm refractors
        also. With the CF10 and ST10XME, it would be narrowband imaging's first
        choice with its high sensitivity to Ha. It is the largest chip in the ST
        line now with internal guide chip and the RGH capability for the AO8. You
        may be able to find one on A-mart, but be careful and make sure it has the
        RGH capability; this option has only been around for the last few years, 4
        or 5 I think?

        HTH,

        All the best,

        Terry

        _____

        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 2, 2010
          If you are willing to sale and replace some stuff the STL-100E would give
          you 24 micron pixels and a larger chip, but you would need larger filters. I
          think the MOAG would still work with the proper adapter. You could use your
          RGH but your A0-8 would need to change to and AO-L. For better cooling
          performance you are going to need to go with FLI or Apogee. The STL is ready
          for wtaer cooling.

          Roy Uyematsu

          www.roystarman.com

          roystarman@...

          Message 4 of 11 , Jun 2, 2010
            Hi Umair,

            Get an Optec f5 focal reducer. It'll give you a larger field and MUCH faster speed.
            I use it with my ST8XME on my C14 and I can image M101 with room to spare.

            Bob

          • raro_observer
            Message 5 of 11 , Jun 2, 2010
              Umair

              Your existing setup with the ST9XE is perfect for doing photometry. You could do some real science on variables such as CVs, eclipsing binaries or exoplanets. You could even get some publications either with your own work or as part of a team. Think about it. If you want help I'd be willing to give you whatever advice I can.

              Cheers

              Phil Evans
              VSS (Variable Stars South)

              --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, Umair Asim <umairasim@...> wrote:

              > Hello group,
              >
              > I have been using ST9XE for a while now and seriously have no complaint
              > about it. The only thing that i dont like is the size of the chip and with
              > my setup at f/12, a lot of targets are not fully covered. I was wondering
              > what you guys suggest me to look for. With my very warm temperatures (38 C
              > at night), i would definitely want a camera which would have
              > water assisted super internal cooling.
              >
              > Stuff i own:
              > C14, TCF, SBIG AO8, Astrodon MOAG, SBIG RGH, SBIG CFW10.
              >
              > Your suggestions would be Much appreciated!
              >

              > Regards,
              >
              > Umair Asim
              > www.umairasim.com

            • Umair Asim
              Message 6 of 11 , Jun 3, 2010
                Thank Terry, Roy and Bob.

                Bob, i have tried Meade 0.63 reducer for that matter but was very
                disappointed because flattening was a big issue. Perhaps because of my long
                imaging train? That is TCF-S,AO8,MOAG,CFW10 and ST9XE.

                Phil i would love to do that stuff.. big time.. I will email you privately.

                Regards,

                Umair Asim
                www.umairasim.com

                On Thu, Jun 3, 2010 at 11:24 AM, raro_observer <phil@...> wrote:

                > Umair
                >
                > Your existing setup with the ST9XE is perfect for doing photometry. You
                > could do some real science on variables such as CVs, eclipsing binaries or
                > exoplanets. You could even get some publications either with your own work
                > or as part of a team. Think about it. If you want help I'd be willing to
                > give you whatever advice I can.
                >
                > Cheers
                >
                > Phil Evans
                > VSS (Variable Stars South)
                >

                > --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com <ccd-newastro%40yahoogroups.com>,
                > Umair Asim <umairasim@...> wrote:
                > >
                > > Hello group,
                > >
                > > I have been using ST9XE for a while now and seriously have no complaint
                > > about it. The only thing that i dont like is the size of the chip and
                > with
                > > my setup at f/12, a lot of targets are not fully covered. I was wondering
                > > what you guys suggest me to look for. With my very warm temperatures (38
                > > at night), i would definitely want a camera which would have
                > > water assisted super internal cooling.
                > >
                > > Stuff i own:
                > > C14, TCF, SBIG AO8, Astrodon MOAG, SBIG RGH, SBIG CFW10.
                > >
                > > Your suggestions would be Much appreciated!
                > >

                > > Regards,
                > >
                > > Umair Asim
                > > www.umairasim.com

              • Bob Runyan
                Message 7 of 11 , Jun 3, 2010
                  Hello Umair: You may want to see if the Ted Agos focal reducer would be
                  compatible with your setup. It works great with my 10" f/10 LX200 SCT/JMI
                  Focuser, AO7, CFW8a/ST7e setup. This allows me to image at near f/6.3 with
                  a very flat field and this is also a long imaging train. HTH's and CS. Bob
                  R. www.pvao.us

                  Message 8 of 11 , Jun 3, 2010
                    Thanks Bob for the tip.. i will look into it.

                    Regards,

                    Umair Asim
                    www.umairasim.com

                    On Thu, Jun 3, 2010 at 7:38 PM, Bob Runyan <runrob@...> wrote:

                    > Hello Umair: You may want to see if the Ted Agos focal reducer would be
                    > compatible with your setup. It works great with my 10" f/10 LX200 SCT/JMI
                    > Focuser, AO7, CFW8a/ST7e setup. This allows me to image at near f/6.3 with
                    > a very flat field and this is also a long imaging train. HTH's and CS. Bob
                    > R. www.pvao.us

                  • Phil Evans
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jun 6, 2010
                      Umair

                      I've got your private email and replied (twice now) but as you haven't
                      responded to my queries I guess you have not received either. Can you check
                      your spam filter or give me an alternative email address.

                      Cheers

                      Phil

                    • Umair Asim
                      Message 10 of 11 , Jun 7, 2010
                        Hi Phil,

                        It must be the spam filter.. will check it later when I reach to my
                        computer. Thanks for contacting me Phil an sorry for the inconvenience.

                        Regards,

                        Umair Asim
                        www.umairasim.com
                        ----------------------------
                        Sent from iPhone

                        On Jun 7, 2010, at 1:29, "Phil Evans" <phil@...> wrote:

                        > Umair
                        >
                        > I've got your private email and replied (twice now) but as you haven't
                        > responded to my queries I guess you have not received either. Can
                        > you check
                        > your spam filter or give me an alternative email address.
                        >
                        > Cheers
                        >
                        > Phil

                      • Cavok VFR
                        Message 11 of 11 , Jun 20, 2010
                          I was going to suggest a focal reducer also. Since you are already using a TCF focuser, you may find that it may be easiest to integrate one of the Optec focal reducers into your imaging train. Just make sure it can cover size of the diagonal.

                          Also, I saw a comment saying that the ST-10 was the largest CCD available with self guiding CCD option and adaptive optics compatible in the ST series body That is true for monochrome CCDs, but the ST-4000 is I believe about 50% larger than the ST-10 and works with the AO8 and comes in the ST-series body.

                          Steve