ST-8300 vs ST-8

  • Dave B
    Message 1 of 4 , May 9, 2010
      I'm looking for opinions from experienced folks on the tradeoffs between the new ST-8300 and the ST-8, which is currently on sale. With a roughly 1140mm scope, what are the benefits of the extra $1k of the ST-8 over the ST-8300? I do have a Meade DSI-Pro2 for guiding if needed, so the self guiding of the ST-8 isn't absolutely necessary but it is appealing. I'd be willing to spend the extra $1k if there are features that are worth it, but I'm looking for experienced opinions.

      I do realize that the ~1 arc-sec per pixel unbinned is tight on the 8300 and I might bin 2x2, but the ST-8 comes in at 1.6 arc-sec, so that is still tight.

      If there are other cameras that I should consider, I'm open for suggestions.

      I'm a long time visual observer, novice at imaging, currently using a DSLR, but I'm in this for the long-term (currently planning to build an backyard observatory).

      Thanks for any input.
      Dave
    • Michael Sherick
      Message 2 of 4 , May 9, 2010
        Hi Folks,

        I hope your weekend is going well.  I woke up about 4:30 am this morning and to my surprise, the clouds had moved on, so I took advantage of the clear sky and imaged a super short sequence of M13 before sunrise.  6 x 30 seconds each RGB TMB152/ST10 -20C.

        http://imagingtheheavens.com/?page_id=24

        The ST10xme did a fairly good job with these short exposures.  I hope you enjoy the result.

        Clear Skies,
        Mike Sherick

      • spaceage1939@aol.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 20, 2010
          Hi Mike

          Great images of M13,

          I'm new at post processing and wondered what software you used.

          I imaged M13 the last two nights and had decent shots using my 10" classic
          with the Atik hr16 camera. I also used the Orion filter wheel. My alignment
          was very good and exposures pretty shprt, so my images were all unguided,
          although I started out with attaching my DSI pro to a piggy-backed 80mm
          refractor, but wanted to see what 30 second exposures would do for all images,
          L,R,G and B. Also took darks and flats.

          My problem is in the final combining of all images into the final color. I
          have both Photoshop Cs2 and Cs4. I know I am making silly mistakes in my
          attempt to combine them, but here is as far as I got. I have the 4 output
          autosave files from DSS software and opened them into PS. My method must be
          wrong, since my final color in the RGB channel is yellow. Can you give me
          some guidance or tell me if there is web site I should go to in order to get
          step by step help. For instance, I'm not sure where to paste the various
          autosave files, once copied. It's really frustrating getting so close, but to
          come up empty.

          Art

          _http://imagingthehehttp://imahttp://imht_
          (http://imagingtheheavens.com/?page_id=24)

          The ST10xme did a fairly good job with these short exposures. I hope you
          enjoy the result.

          Clear Skies,
          Mike Sherick

        • Don
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 21, 2010
            Art,

            I have some video tutorials on basic image processing on my web site they
            you may find helpful. They are located in the "Articles" section on the web
            site. (First menu item at the top of the page.) The one on creating an
            LRGB image in Photoshop CS my give you some ideas.

            http://www.waidobservatory.com

            HTHs,

            Don Waid