Re: Electric Focuser for a SkyWatcher 120mm BD ED refractor

  • phils67
    Message 1 of 6 , May 2, 2010
      If you're just looking for a simple electric focuser; try the Orion Accufocus. If the supplied brackets don't match up with your focuser; you can easily make one from a 1" brass strip purchased at most hobby shops. The focuser comes with a 9v battery box controller than can be replaced with Shoestring Astronomy's FCUSB controller for full computer driven control.

      The only problem with this setup is that the Accufocus is a DC motor with a gear reduction setup driving your focuser. It does not have "absolute" (can be moved to exactly the same position) focusing capability and has a bit of backlash when changing direction. More expensive electric focusers usually have stepper motors or other measuring mechanisms to provide feedback on where the focuser is positioned.

      Phil

    • spaceage1939@aol.com
      Message 2 of 6 , May 5, 2010
        Sorry to respond with another question instead of some answers, but I have
        an 80mm Meade refractor that I use mainly as a guide scope that sits on my
        Classic 10" SCT. I control the scope with Cartes Du Ciel. I use Meade's
        electric focuser. Just curious if there is an additional electric focuser that
        I can purchase that would control the focusing of the refractor thru my
        computer. I use the Meade DSI camera for guiding and my Atik hr16 for
        imaging, which I switch depending on the FOV I am imaging and which scope I use as
        the guide scope. It sure would be helpful to have the focusing of the
        refractor controlled thru the computer, as well. Any thoughts would be
        appreciated.

        Thanks.

        Art

        --- In _ccd-newastro@ccd-newastroccd_ (mailto:ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com)