RE: [ccd-newastro] Heavy duty wedges

  • Bill Beeman
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 5, 2010
      I've used the Milburn Deluxe for a number of years with my 10" LX-200. It
      has a slightly heavier construction than his standard wedge. I opted for
      that as it's primarily used at a fixed location.

      Ken was very good to work with, and I'm happy with the wedge.

      Bill

    • Don
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 5, 2010
        I used a Milburn Deluxe wedge with a Meade LX200 GPS 12 inch scope. It is a
        very well made and sturdy wedge. If you pick one up on Astromart, or other
        used market, make sure it is machined for your latitude. The standard
        machining is, I believe, for 25 to 50 degrees latitude. I used my wedge in
        south Florida and I was at the bottom of the range. They do make wedges
        machined for higher or lower latitudes. I have no experience with their
        standard wedge so I can't say how it would work with your CPC-11.

        Don Waid

        > I recently had the opportunity to spend a night with a Celestron CPC-1100
        > SCT. It was a lot of fun - the combination of good optics, large aperture
        > and accurate go-to makes this a wonderful telescope.
        >
        > I am considering purchasing a CPC-1100 to use it with a HyperStar lens
        > from Starizona and my QSI 583 CCD camera. To do so, I will need to
        > purchase a wedge. I have gotten feedback that the Celestron heavy duty
        > wedge is overmatched by the sheer weight of the SCT/fork arm arrangement
        > (65 pounds).
        >
        > I am wondering if any group members have experience with aftermarket
        > wedges. I have identified the Milburn wedge as a possibility. Are there
        > others that you can recommend?
        >
        > Thanks very much.
        >
        > Clear skies,
        > Kevin Dixon
        >

        > ------------------------------------

      • Kevin Dixon
        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 5, 2010
          Thanks Bill. It sounds as though the Deluxe wedge is where I am headed.

          Clear skies,
          Kevin

          From: Bill Beeman

          I've used the Milburn Deluxe for a number of years with my 10" LX-200. It
          has a slightly heavier construction than his standard wedge. I opted for
          that as it's primarily used at a fixed location.

          Ken was very good to work with, and I'm happy with the wedge.

          Bill

        • Kevin Dixon
          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 5, 2010
            Thanks Don.

            I have heard today many good things about the Milburn Deluxe Wedge. That looks like the way to go.

            Clear skies,
            Kevin

            > I recently had the opportunity to spend a night with a Celestron CPC-1100
            > SCT. It was a lot of fun - the combination of good optics, large aperture
            > and accurate go-to makes this a wonderful telescope.
            >
            > I am considering purchasing a CPC-1100 to use it with a HyperStar lens
            > from Starizona and my QSI 583 CCD camera. To do so, I will need to
            > purchase a wedge. I have gotten feedback that the Celestron heavy duty
            > wedge is overmatched by the sheer weight of the SCT/fork arm arrangement
            > (65 pounds).
            >
            > I am wondering if any group members have experience with aftermarket
            > wedges. I have identified the Milburn wedge as a possibility. Are there
            > others that you can recommend?
            >
            > Thanks very much.
            >
            > Clear skies,
            > Kevin Dixon

          • DeLacy Clifford
            Message 5 of 10 , Feb 5, 2010
              Kevin,

              I obtained an APT wedge in 2008 and wrote an article in the September issue 2008 in Astronomy Technology Today.  It is a great wedge that is heavy duty and stays aligned with the north celestial pole.  Check the article I wrote by going on-line to
              www.astronomytechnologytoday.com  Back issues can be reviewed at their website.

              I use the wedge in my Sirius Observatory with a Meade LX200 14" ACF.

              I believe Sam Swiess, manager at Scope City in San Francisco has one or more instock.  I recommended scope city to carry the wedge in inventory.

              Clear Skies to You . . . We have had clouds, rain, and fog all through January and know it is starting all over again for February.

              Cliff De Lacy
              www.thestarguide.com

              I have confirmed that APT is out of business. I have heard good things about their wedge but would prefer to work with a company that is still in business.

              Clear skies,
              Kevin

              From: Lenny Shaffer

              I don't think they're still in business but the APT is a good one as
              well. Might pick up one on Astromart.

              At 08:31 AM 2/5/2010, you wrote:
              >Good Morning,
              >
              >I recently had the opportunity to spend a night with a Celestron
              >CPC-1100 SCT. It was a lot of fun - the combination of good optics,
              >large aperture and accurate go-to makes this a wonderful telescope.
              >
              >I am considering purchasing a CPC-1100 to use it with a HyperStar
              >lens from Starizona and my QSI 583 CCD camera. To do so, I will
              >need to purchase a wedge. I have gotten feedback that the Celestron
              >heavy duty wedge is overmatched by the sheer weight of the SCT/fork
              >arm arrangement (65 pounds).
              >
              >I am wondering if any group members have experience with aftermarket
              >wedges. I have identified the Milburn wedge as a possibility. Are
              >there others that you can recommend?
              >
              >Thanks very much.
              >
              >Clear skies,
              >Kevin Dixon

            • allizotiv
              Message 6 of 10 , Feb 6, 2010
                Hey Kevin,

                I thought one of the advantages of the Hyperstar was no wedge required.
                Anyways, consider how mobile your setup needs to be. Most of the
                Celestron or Meade wedges are adequate for permanent setups. However,
                if you travel out to dark skies, a quality aftermarket wedge is the way
                to go. Because they are substantially more sturdy, and most
                importantly, allow you to make accurate adjustments that will not drift
                over the course of the night, spend the extra bucks on a good wedge.
                There are plenty of examples on the web where people have made
                modifications to Celestron or Meade wedges to make them more adequate
                for field use; so if you like to tinker, save yourself a few hundred
                dollars.

                I use the Mitty Industries Evolution Wedge for my 10" LX200. They look
                to be in stock at OPT. I can attest that it is a rock solid, easy to
                adjust, stay put all night quality wedge.

                I will also say polar aligning a fork-mounted telescope has its own
                challenges. To ease my frustrations (and yours) I use CCDWare's PEMPro.
                YMMV! :)

                Later,

                Kevin

                --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, "mason" <ksbtk@...> wrote:

                > Good Morning,
                >
                > I recently had the opportunity to spend a night with a Celestron
                CPC-1100 SCT. It was a lot of fun - the combination of good optics,
                large aperture and accurate go-to makes this a wonderful telescope.

                > I am considering purchasing a CPC-1100 to use it with a HyperStar lens
                from Starizona and my QSI 583 CCD camera. To do so, I will need to
                purchase a wedge. I have gotten feedback that the Celestron heavy duty
                wedge is overmatched by the sheer weight of the SCT/fork arm arrangement
                (65 pounds).

                > I am wondering if any group members have experience with aftermarket
                wedges. I have identified the Milburn wedge as a possibility. Are there
                others that you can recommend?

                > Thanks very much.
                >
                > Clear skies,
                > Kevin Dixon