Re: [ccd-newastro] Re: Outdoor dome PC vs laptop durability

  • JoeMize
    Message 1 of 33 , Feb 5, 2010
      "Stealth.com Inc. (Stealth Computer) is an ISO 9001 registered manufacturer
      that specializes in high performance industrial grade computer systems &
      peripherals that include Rackmount PSs, Flat Panel Monitors, Rugged Portable
      PCs and Industrial Grade Keyboards. Stealth's products are in demand by
      Scientific, Telecommunications, Industrial/Commercial, and Control markets.
      Stealth enjoys an impressive customer list of Fortune 500's, Governments and
      Militaries worldwide." http://www.stealthcomputers.com/

      "May You Go Among The Imperishable Stars"
      Joe Mize www.cav-sfo.com
      Chiefland Astronomy Village, Fla.

      Message 33 of 33 , Feb 9, 2010
        I have a dome and control room in upstate NY. I keep the control room
        unheated unless I am there (operate remotely usually). I built a box
        for computer and UPS (can't freeze its battery at all). The UPS has an
        temp monitor that emails me if temp gets below 40 degrees in box. Also,
        have light bulbs inside box with a plug based thermostat (Home Depot or
        Lowes, I forget which) so if temp falls below 35 they go on and provide
        emergency heat. But usually during cold months I leave computer
        on...which keeps the box in the high 40s or 50s degrees. I also keep
        powered hubs and switches in the box as well, since I have had problems
        if temp in room/dome is below 30 degrees and they are exposed.

        Summer, I leave computer off and restart remotely. Remote restart
        options are very useful to spec in to a new computer purchase.

        Scott N
        Starmere Observatory

        Pursuant to U.S. Treasury regulations, any federal tax advice contained
        in this communication, including attachments and enclosures, is not
        intended or written to be used, and may not be used, for the purpose of
        (i) avoiding tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or
        (ii) promoting, marketing, or recommending to another party any
        tax-related matters addressed herein.