Re: Seeing Conditions (FWHM)

  • Frank and Jocelyn
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 2, 2009
      Is there a way to do this in MaximDL?

      Frank

      --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, "paulkccd" <paul@...> wrote:

      > Hi Eddie,
      >
      > In CCDSoft, load your image, then select Research->Show Inventory menu. This will find all the stars and put little dots in the center of each.
      >
      > Then, go to View->Cursor Information which will display a new information window. Now, as you move your cursor over individual stars in the image, you should see their FWHM values displayed in the information window. Note that FWHM is shown in pixels, so you'll probably want to convert them to arcseconds.
      >
      > Regards,
      >
      > -Paul
      >
      > --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, "epavlu" <eddie@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Hello - I'm new to this group. I've read "The New CCD Astronomy" and I want to measure the seeing conditions where I image. I use CCDSoft. Is there a way, by using images that I've taken, to measure the FWHM of a star in the image?
      > >
      > > I know all the details of my setup so I can calculate the image scale (ST-402 9x9 microns, AP 155 f7 should be 1.7 arcsec/pix).
      > >
      > > Thanks,
      > >
      > > Eddie

    • Douglas B. George
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 2, 2009
        Frank and Jocelyn wrote:
        > Is there a way to do this in MaximDL?

        View menu Information Window - can show FWHM in pixels or arc-seconds.

        See http://www.cyanogen.com/help/maximdl/HID_VIEW_INFORMATION.htm

        Doug

        --

        Doug George
        dgeorge@...

        Diffraction Limited
        Makers of Cyanogen Imaging Products
        http://www.cyanogen.com/

        100 Craig Henry Dr., Suite 202
        Ottawa, Ontario,
        Canada, K2G 5W3

        Phone: (613) 225-2732
        Fax: (613) 225-9688
      • eroelmx
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 2, 2009
          Eddie:
          I own the STV (a now defunct SBIG guider). This setup can calculate optical quality and also seeing conditions. Go to SBIG site and look in the download section for the STV manual, on page 25 they explain the way it does it, but also send you to an appendix where the formulas and calculations are.
          Hope this helps,
          Eric. (México)

          --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, "epavlu" <eddie@...> wrote:

          > Hello - I'm new to this group. I've read "The New CCD Astronomy" and I want to measure the seeing conditions where I image. I use CCDSoft. Is there a way, by using images that I've taken, to measure the FWHM of a star in the image?
          >
          > I know all the details of my setup so I can calculate the image scale (ST-402 9x9 microns, AP 155 f7 should be 1.7 arcsec/pix).
          >
          > Thanks,
          >
          > Eddie

        • epavlu
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 3, 2009
            Thank you (all) for your comments.

            I've been working with Tom Bisque over the past few days. We are trying
            to figure out why Research | Insert WCS is not working for me with
            CCDSoft and The Sky6.

            I also downloaded the SBIG STV manual - interesting reading about the
            STV measures "seeing".

            Eddie