Re: Nikon lenses for astrophotography

  • Frank and Jocelyn
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 5, 2009
      180mm f/2.8 ED

      Frank

      --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, Admilson <admilson_p@...> wrote:

      > Hello guys,
      >
      > I am looking for a good Nikon lens for wide field astrophotography with a 15.2x15.2mm chip.
      > Focal length should between 180mm to 300mm. Any recommendations from your side?
      >
      > Thanks a lot.
      >
      > Admilson
      > http://www.adm- astronomy. com

    • CurtisC
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 6, 2009
        --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, "RASVP" <rasvp@...> wrote:

        > I have the 180mm f/2.8 and 300mm f/4 lenses and both are very nice. I use them stopped down (180mm at f/4, 300mm at f/5.6) with the ST-10XME and STL-11000M. You can find images taken with them at my Web site at:
        > http://www.alsonwongastro.com/

        You can't use these lenses with the filter wheel on the ST-10XME, can you?
      • RASVP
        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 6, 2009
          --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, "CurtisC" <calypte@...> wrote:

          > --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, "RASVP" <rasvp@> wrote:
          > >
          > > I have the 180mm f/2.8 and 300mm f/4 lenses and both are very nice. I use them stopped down (180mm at f/4, 300mm at f/5.6) with the ST-10XME and STL-11000M. You can find images taken with them at my Web site at:
          > > http://www.alsonwongastro.com/
          >
          > You can't use these lenses with the filter wheel on the ST-10XME, can you?

          Yes, they can be used with the filter wheel, but you need the Mandel adapter to be able to bring the lenses to focus:
          http://www.galaxyimages.com/ccdwidefield.html
        • Admilson
          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 9, 2009
            Hi,

            thank you for this very interesting information! In the setup shown do
            I still need the SBIG Nikon adapter or is there other one?

            Best
            Admilson

            Message 5 of 9 , Nov 9, 2009
              You do not need the SBIG Nikon adapter if you use the Mandel adapter. The Mandel adapter has a Nikon bayonet mount.