Re: Sky Quality Meters

  • astrokattner
    Message 1 of 28 , Sep 30 9:28 PM
      As everyone says, you will do better with the L version. I have the LE version permanently mounted and the Knightware software running each night and uploaded live to the internet. Works great, haven't touched it in months. you can see it here:

      www.putmanmountainobservatory.com

      clear skies,

      Ken

      --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, "astromahoney" <pj.mahoney@...> wrote:

      > Hi,
      >
      > I am thinking of buying a sky quality meter and have been looking at the SQM and the SQM-L meters. I am a bit confused as to which one to purchase.
      >
      > The info on the SQM-L quotes "The SQM-L is better suited for astronomy and dark sky enthusiasts. It has a lens to narrow the field of view so that street lights and buildings or trees do not affect the reading very much".
      >
      > But I thought that it would be necessary to include any street light etc., pollution to get a more accurate reading. Or probably I'm not understanding the proper use of the meter.
      >
      > Can anyone put me right please....
      >
      > Regards to all,
      >
      > Paul
      > London, UK

    • Arne Danielsen
      Message 2 of 28 , Oct 1, 2009
        Hello Ken,

        I have the original SQM version and have just ordered the SQM-LE for
        permanent installation in my observatory.

        I was wondering what how you have solved weather-proofing your SQM-LE?

        Best regards,
        Arne
        --
        Arne Danielsen
        Brages vei 2

        Priv: +47 64 95 10 12
        Mob: +47 90 19 77 99

        E-mail: arne@...
        Web: http://astrophile.net/
        Twitter: http://twitter.com/adanielsen
        N59°36'18" E10°45'40" A84m

        > As everyone says, you will do better with the L version. I have the LE
        > version permanently mounted and the Knightware software running each night
        > and uploaded live to the internet. Works great, haven't touched it in
        > months. you can see it here:
        >
        > www.putmanmountainobservatory.com
        >
        > clear skies,
        >
        > Ken
        >

        > --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, "astromahoney" <pj.mahoney@...>
        > wrote:
        >>
        >> Hi,
        >>
        >> I am thinking of buying a sky quality meter and have been looking at the
        >> SQM and the SQM-L meters. I am a bit confused as to which one to
        >> purchase.
        >>
        >> The info on the SQM-L quotes "The SQM-L is better suited for astronomy
        >> and dark sky enthusiasts. It has a lens to narrow the field of view so
        >> that street lights and buildings or trees do not affect the reading very
        >> much".
        >>
        >> But I thought that it would be necessary to include any street light
        >> etc., pollution to get a more accurate reading. Or probably I'm not
        >> understanding the proper use of the meter.
        >>
        >> Can anyone put me right please....
        >>
        >> Regards to all,
        >>
        >> Paul
        >> London, UK
        >>

        > ------------------------------------

      • ET
        Message 3 of 28 , Oct 1, 2009
          Hi Ken,

          Nice to see you here :-) I am waiting for the delivery of one SQM-LE unit. How difficult is it to install the device via Ethernet cable ?

          How did you solve the enclosure problem in order to leave it outside all the time ?

          By the way I am still with the Losmandy G11 mounts :-)

          regards Rainer

          > As everyone says, you will do better with the L version. I have the LE version permanently mounted and the Knightware software running each night and uploaded live to the internet. Works great, haven't touched it in months. you can see it here:
          >
          > www.putmanmountainobservatory.com
          >
          > clear skies,
          >
          > Ken
          >

          > --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, "astromahoney" <pj.mahoney@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Hi,
          > >
          > > I am thinking of buying a sky quality meter and have been looking at the SQM and the SQM-L meters. I am a bit confused as to which one to purchase.
          > >
          > > The info on the SQM-L quotes "The SQM-L is better suited for astronomy and dark sky enthusiasts. It has a lens to narrow the field of view so that street lights and buildings or trees do not affect the reading very much".
          > >
          > > But I thought that it would be necessary to include any street light etc., pollution to get a more accurate reading. Or probably I'm not understanding the proper use of the meter.
          > >
          > > Can anyone put me right please....
          > >
          > > Regards to all,
          > >
          > > Paul
          > > London, UK

        • Christopher J Abissi
          Message 4 of 28 , Oct 1, 2009
            Ken,

            Interesting site. Have you any pictures of the sky quality meter
            installation and how you weather proof it? Any general shots of your
            observatory?

            Chris A.

            --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com <mailto:ccd-newastro%40yahoogroups.com>
            , "astromahoney" <pj.mahoney@...> wrote:

            > Hi,
            >
            > I am thinking of buying a sky quality meter and have been looking at the
            SQM and the SQM-L meters. I am a bit confused as to which one to purchase.

            > The info on the SQM-L quotes "The SQM-L is better suited for astronomy and
            dark sky enthusiasts. It has a lens to narrow the field of view so that
            street lights and buildings or trees do not affect the reading very much".

            > But I thought that it would be necessary to include any street light etc.,
            pollution to get a more accurate reading. Or probably I'm not understanding
            the proper use of the meter.

            > Can anyone put me right please....
            >
            > Regards to all,
            >
            > Paul
            > London, UK

            database 4474 (20091001) __________

            http://www.eset.com

          • Rainer
            Message 5 of 28 , Oct 2, 2009
              Hi,

              Anthony from SQM send me a PDF showing how he did it. Just ask him.

              I am at the moment testing the SQM-LE and with some tibing laying around I will make an enclosure.

              I did not order the 5V power adapter as I have a 5V 60W power supply in my Observatory and from there I will take a long cable and power the SQM-LE. I also did not order the 6feet Ethernet cable as it is too short for my location of PC and SQM-LE.

              As soon as I have the enclosure done I will post some images.

              regards Rainer

              --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, "Christopher J Abissi" <cabissi@...> wrote:

              > Ken,
              >

              > Interesting site. Have you any pictures of the sky quality meter
              > installation and how you weather proof it? Any general shots of your
              > observatory?
              >

              > Chris A.

            • garyemc
              Message 6 of 28 , Oct 2, 2009
                Ken,

                How did you get the current weather info to display on your site? Does all that come from the weather underground?

                Thanks!
                gary

                --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, "astrokattner" <kattnerk@...> wrote:

                > As everyone says, you will do better with the L version. I have the LE version permanently mounted and the Knightware software running each night and uploaded live to the internet. Works great, haven't touched it in months. you can see it here:
                >
                > www.putmanmountainobservatory.com
                >
                > clear skies,
                >
                > Ken
              • Christopher J Abissi
                Message 7 of 28 , Oct 2, 2009
                  Thanks, Rainer.

                  I will contact Anthony. I was wondering if it could tolerate being exposed
                  over a clear night of imaging despite dew formation or does it need to be
                  enclosed even for that. I only really care while the roof is open so I was
                  hoping to install in my roll-off observatory and use it for readings only
                  when the roof is open. If I need an enclosure, then it belongs outside with
                  the cloud and weather sensors when I get them all installed.

                  Chris A.

                  Message 8 of 28 , Oct 2, 2009
                    --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, "ET" <rsbfoto@...> wrote:

                    > Hi Ken,
                    >
                    > Nice to see you here :-) I am waiting for the delivery of one SQM-LE unit. How difficult is it to install the device via Ethernet cable ?
                    >
                    > How did you solve the enclosure problem in order to leave it outside all the time ?
                    >
                    > By the way I am still with the Losmandy G11 mounts :-)
                    >
                    > regards Rainer

                    Rainer, to directly hookup a SQM-LE to a computer all you need is a cross-over ethernet cable. Either make you own or buy one at the store. If the meter is going to be integrated into an obsevatory where remote computers are already in place, there probably is already a ethrnet DHCP server connecting everything. Then all you need is a vacant port on the switch or router.

                    I too would like to hear of users solution for weather proofing a SQM meter for remote or backyard observatories. Is it simply a matter of using the same solutions for all-sky cameras?

                    Keith

                    Keith
                  • Rainer
                    Message 9 of 28 , Oct 3, 2009
                      Hi Chris,

                      The SQM-LE when it is running produces itself some heat so if you want to use it only when the roof is open I would dare to say that you will not need an enclosure as the self produced heat will be more then enough to protect the circuit from getting humid,

                      BUT, yes but DO NOT TURN IT OFF after closing your roff.

                      Keep it running and so there is no chance of forming dew inside.

                      If you run it and then when you close the roff you power it off the SQM-LE, the humidity content inside will be relatively higher then outside. (WARM AIR CAN CARRY MORE HUMIDITY THEN COLD AIR) When the SQM-LE then cools down you will get condensation inside !

                      It is easy to make a test with the SQM-LE running while your roof is open. With the software you can monitor the temperature of the SQM-LE and if you also monitor your ambient temperature via a weatherstation you will surely also have the temperature of the dew point. In the moment the SQM-LE temperature does get the same as the Dew Point then you will start to be carefull. :-)

                      regards Rainer

                      --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, "Christopher J Abissi" <cabissi@...> wrote:

                      > Thanks, Rainer.
                      >

                      > I will contact Anthony. I was wondering if it could tolerate being exposed
                      > over a clear night of imaging despite dew formation or does it need to be
                      > enclosed even for that. I only really care while the roof is open so I was
                      > hoping to install in my roll-off observatory and use it for readings only
                      > when the roof is open. If I need an enclosure, then it belongs outside with
                      > the cloud and weather sensors when I get them all installed.
                      >

                      > Chris A.

                    • astrokattner
                      Message 10 of 28 , Oct 3, 2009
                        Hola Rainer,

                        I have missed your good humor, but I still lurk over at Losmandy!
                        Anthony over at Unihedron has a design for an enclosure, which it looks like he sent you. I opted for a video camera housing with fans to circulate the air because it can get to 105F during the summer. I have uploaded some photos I sent to Arne offline in the Astrokattner folder in this forum. You can see from there how to do it. Looks like the G11 has some good new worm designs, but what a lot of work.

                        --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, "ET" <rsbfoto@...> wrote:

                        > Hi Ken,
                        >
                        > Nice to see you here :-) I am waiting for the delivery of one SQM-LE unit. How difficult is it to install the device via Ethernet cable ?
                        >
                        > How did you solve the enclosure problem in order to leave it outside all the time ?
                        >
                        > By the way I am still with the Losmandy G11 mounts :-)
                        >
                        > regards Rainer
                        >

                        > > As everyone says, you will do better with the L version. I have the LE version permanently mounted and the Knightware software running each night and uploaded live to the internet. Works great, haven't touched it in months. you can see it here:
                        > >
                        > > www.putmanmountainobservatory.com
                        > >
                        > > clear skies,
                        > >
                        > > Ken
                        > >

                        > > --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, "astromahoney" <pj.mahoney@> wrote:
                        > > >
                        > > > Hi,
                        > > >
                        > > > I am thinking of buying a sky quality meter and have been looking at the SQM and the SQM-L meters. I am a bit confused as to which one to purchase.
                        > > >
                        > > > The info on the SQM-L quotes "The SQM-L is better suited for astronomy and dark sky enthusiasts. It has a lens to narrow the field of view so that street lights and buildings or trees do not affect the reading very much".
                        > > >
                        > > > But I thought that it would be necessary to include any street light etc., pollution to get a more accurate reading. Or probably I'm not understanding the proper use of the meter.
                        > > >
                        > > > Can anyone put me right please....
                        > > >
                        > > > Regards to all,
                        > > >
                        > > > Paul
                        > > > London, UK

                      • astrokattner
                        Message 11 of 28 , Oct 3, 2009
                          I uploaded some pics in the Astrokattner folder on this forum for you to see how to do it.

                          best regards,

                          Ken

                          --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, "Christopher J Abissi" <cabissi@...> wrote:

                          > Ken,
                          >

                          > Interesting site. Have you any pictures of the sky quality meter
                          > installation and how you weather proof it? Any general shots of your
                          > observatory?
                          >

                          > Chris A.

                        • astrokattner
                          Message 12 of 28 , Oct 3, 2009
                            Keith,

                            I posted some pics, see other posts. One thing to consider for the housing if you live in cold or wet environment. See if you can get a housing that is fan heated during cold spells. The heat will prevent condensation and fog on the camera housing window. I believe the all sky camera enclosures are heated as well. I used a housing from videotec.com. I used their cheapest, non heated version (since it is hot where I am); I added a PoE adapter so I would only need one cable and then I added some small 5volt computer fans to keep it cool.

                            Hope this helps,

                            Ken

                            --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, "Keith" <keith.myers@...> wrote:

                            > --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, "ET" <rsbfoto@> wrote:
                            > >
                            > > Hi Ken,
                            > >
                            > > Nice to see you here :-) I am waiting for the delivery of one SQM-LE unit. How difficult is it to install the device via Ethernet cable ?
                            > >
                            > > How did you solve the enclosure problem in order to leave it outside all the time ?
                            > >
                            > > By the way I am still with the Losmandy G11 mounts :-)
                            > >
                            > > regards Rainer
                            >
                            > Rainer, to directly hookup a SQM-LE to a computer all you need is a cross-over ethernet cable. Either make you own or buy one at the store. If the meter is going to be integrated into an obsevatory where remote computers are already in place, there probably is already a ethrnet DHCP server connecting everything. Then all you need is a vacant port on the switch or router.
                            >
                            > I too would like to hear of users solution for weather proofing a SQM meter for remote or backyard observatories. Is it simply a matter of using the same solutions for all-sky cameras?
                            >
                            > Keith
                            >

                            > Keith

                          • astrokattner
                            Message 13 of 28 , Oct 3, 2009
                              Hi Gary,

                              Actually the opposite. The weather underground data comes from the site. The site is in a remote area about 250 miles from where I live, but it has a small storage facility, power and internet. The data from the weather station (Davis Vantage Pro)is collected at the site and then uploaded to my webpage via ftp. The computer also uploads the data to weather underground to their personal weather station section. They have an applet that will display live weather data on your web page so I use that too. It's the white box with the WU logo. You can watch wind speed and direction change in real time.

                              Hope this helps,

                              Ken

                              --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, "garyemc" <garyemc@...> wrote:

                              > Ken,
                              >
                              > How did you get the current weather info to display on your site? Does all that come from the weather underground?
                              >
                              > Thanks!
                              > gary
                              >
                              > --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, "astrokattner" <kattnerk@> wrote:
                              > >
                              > > As everyone says, you will do better with the L version. I have the LE version permanently mounted and the Knightware software running each night and uploaded live to the internet. Works great, haven't touched it in months. you can see it here:
                              > >
                              > > www.putmanmountainobservatory.com
                              > >
                              > > clear skies,
                              > >
                              > > Ken

                            • Christopher J Abissi
                              Message 14 of 28 , Oct 3, 2009
                                Rainer,

                                Thanks for that information. What you say makes a lot of sense. I plan to
                                run it on a separate machine that will also run the lightning detection,
                                cloud sensor and weather station software for my website so it will always
                                stay on, but the only relevant readings will be when the roof is off there
                                SQM-LE.

                                Chris A.

                                The SQM-LE when it is running produces itself some heat so if you want to
                                use it only when the roof is open I would dare to say that you will not need
                                an enclosure as the self produced heat will be more then enough to protect
                                the circuit from getting humid,

                                BUT, yes but DO NOT TURN IT OFF after closing your roff.

                                Keep it running and so there is no chance of forming dew inside.

                                If you run it and then when you close the roff you power it off the SQM-LE,
                                the humidity content inside will be relatively higher then outside. (WARM
                                AIR CAN CARRY MORE HUMIDITY THEN COLD AIR) When the SQM-LE then cools down
                                you will get condensation inside !

                                It is easy to make a test with the SQM-LE running while your roof is open.
                                With the software you can monitor the temperature of the SQM-LE and if you
                                also monitor your ambient temperature via a weatherstation you will surely
                                also have the temperature of the dew point. In the moment the SQM-LE
                                temperature does get the same as the Dew Point then you will start to be
                                carefull. :-)

                                regards Rainer

                                --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com <mailto:ccd-newastro%40yahoogroups.com>
                                , "Christopher J Abissi" <cabissi@...> wrote:

                                > Thanks, Rainer.
                              • Keith
                                Message 15 of 28 , Oct 3, 2009
                                  Ken, thanks for posting the photos. Just what I was looking for.

                                  Keith

                                  --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, "astrokattner" <kattnerk@...> wrote:

                                  > Keith,
                                  >
                                  > I posted some pics, see other posts. One thing to consider for the housing if you live in cold or wet environment. See if you can get a housing that is fan heated during cold spells. The heat will prevent condensation and fog on the camera housing window. I believe the all sky camera enclosures are heated as well. I used a housing from videotec.com. I used their cheapest, non heated version (since it is hot where I am); I added a PoE adapter so I would only need one cable and then I added some small 5volt computer fans to keep it cool.
                                  >
                                  > Hope this helps,
                                  >
                                  > Ken
                                • bil
                                  Message 16 of 28 , Oct 4, 2009
                                    Ken
                                    I was thinking of installing a Sky Meter also.
                                    Does a PoE come in different voltage outputs? What voltage does the Sky Meter run on? Never heard of a PoE until today.(sounds like a good idea)
                                    Also I am currently building a DSI All Sky Cam, and it was my understanding that the fan in a heated video housing, only comes on when the temperature outside is to hot.

                                    Thanks
                                    Bill
                                    BTW that Video housing look like it would work great.

                                    --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, "astrokattner" <kattnerk@...> wrote:

                                    > Keith,
                                    >
                                    > I posted some pics, see other posts. One thing to consider for the housing if you live in cold or wet environment. See if you can get a housing that is fan heated during cold spells. The heat will prevent condensation and fog on the camera housing window. I believe the all sky camera enclosures are heated as well. I used a housing from videotec.com. I used their cheapest, non heated version (since it is hot where I am); I added a PoE adapter so I would only need one cable and then I added some small 5volt computer fans to keep it cool.
                                    >
                                    > Hope this helps,
                                    >
                                    > Ken
                                    >

                                    > --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, "Keith" <keith.myers@> wrote:
                                    > >

                                    > > --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, "ET" <rsbfoto@> wrote:
                                    > > >
                                    > > > Hi Ken,
                                    > > >
                                    > > > Nice to see you here :-) I am waiting for the delivery of one SQM-LE unit. How difficult is it to install the device via Ethernet cable ?
                                    > > >
                                    > > > How did you solve the enclosure problem in order to leave it outside all the time ?
                                    > > >
                                    > > > By the way I am still with the Losmandy G11 mounts :-)
                                    > > >
                                    > > > regards Rainer
                                    > >
                                    > > Rainer, to directly hookup a SQM-LE to a computer all you need is a cross-over ethernet cable. Either make you own or buy one at the store. If the meter is going to be integrated into an obsevatory where remote computers are already in place, there probably is already a ethrnet DHCP server connecting everything. Then all you need is a vacant port on the switch or router.
                                    > >
                                    > > I too would like to hear of users solution for weather proofing a SQM meter for remote or backyard observatories. Is it simply a matter of using the same solutions for all-sky cameras?
                                    > >
                                    > > Keith
                                    > >

                                    > > Keith

                                  • garyemc
                                    Message 17 of 28 , Oct 4, 2009
                                      Ken,

                                      Got it. The actual data is coming from the Davis Vantage Pro. I like the information it displays.

                                      Thanks!
                                      gary

                                      --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, "astrokattner" <kattnerk@...> wrote:

                                      > Hi Gary,
                                      >
                                      > Actually the opposite. The weather underground data comes from the site. The site is in a remote area about 250 miles from where I live, but it has a small storage facility, power and internet. The data from the weather station (Davis Vantage Pro)is collected at the site and then uploaded to my webpage via ftp. The computer also uploads the data to weather underground to their personal weather station section. They have an applet that will display live weather data on your web page so I use that too. It's the white box with the WU logo. You can watch wind speed and direction change in real time.
                                      >
                                      > Hope this helps,
                                      >
                                      > Ken
                                    • astrokattner
                                      Message 18 of 28 , Oct 4, 2009
                                        Hi Bill,

                                        The PoE outputs 5 volt. I think there is a 12 volt version too. The brand I use is Linksys and I bought it from Amazon. I have copied beloow a portion of a FAQ from the Unihedron website that explains it and gives you the model number.

                                        The fan in a heated video housing can come on when too hot and when too cold. Videotec makes both types. In the too cold situation, the fan comes on to circulate the heat and exchange the air so you don't get condensation. They call it a "fan assisted" heater. I think the all sky camera that SBIG makes, there is no fan, just heat. In my situation, I just needed the fan.

                                        Even with the fan, the temperatures have reached almost 150F inside my enclosure. SQM did fine all summer, although this is near the upper limit of its operating range, I believe.

                                        Best regards,

                                        Ken

                                        Here's the FAQ:

                                        How can I reduce the wiring to the SQM-LE?
                                        A PoE system can be used to transmit "Power Over the Ethernet" cable to the SQM-LE. A PoE system consists of two units:

                                        The PoE Injector puts power into an Ethernet cable.
                                        The PoE Splitter gets the power from the Ethernet cable.
                                        The PoE Injector would be located near the router, and the PoE splitter is located near the SQM-LE.

                                        The PoE soution is very handy if you do not have an electrical outlet near the SQM-LE. You can just run the Ethernet cable to the PoE Splitter then short wires come from the splitter to the SQM-LE.

                                        There are two models that we have tested successfully:
                                        DWL-P200 made by D-Link
                                        WAPPOE made by Linksys

                                        --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, "bil" <billsnyder51@...> wrote:

                                        > Ken
                                        > I was thinking of installing a Sky Meter also.
                                        > Does a PoE come in different voltage outputs? What voltage does the Sky Meter run on? Never heard of a PoE until today.(sounds like a good idea)
                                        > Also I am currently building a DSI All Sky Cam, and it was my understanding that the fan in a heated video housing, only comes on when the temperature outside is to hot.
                                        >
                                        > Thanks
                                        > Bill
                                        > BTW that Video housing look like it would work great.
                                        >

                                        > --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, "astrokattner" <kattnerk@> wrote:
                                        > >
                                        > > Keith,
                                        > >
                                        > > I posted some pics, see other posts. One thing to consider for the housing if you live in cold or wet environment. See if you can get a housing that is fan heated during cold spells. The heat will prevent condensation and fog on the camera housing window. I believe the all sky camera enclosures are heated as well. I used a housing from videotec.com. I used their cheapest, non heated version (since it is hot where I am); I added a PoE adapter so I would only need one cable and then I added some small 5volt computer fans to keep it cool.
                                        > >
                                        > > Hope this helps,
                                        > >
                                        > > Ken
                                        > >

                                        > > --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, "Keith" <keith.myers@> wrote:

                                        > > > Rainer, to directly hookup a SQM-LE to a computer all you need is a cross-over ethernet cable. Either make you own or buy one at the store. If the meter is going to be integrated into an obsevatory where remote computers are already in place, there probably is already a ethrnet DHCP server connecting everything. Then all you need is a vacant port on the switch or router.
                                        > > >
                                        > > > I too would like to hear of users solution for weather proofing a SQM meter for remote or backyard observatories. Is it simply a matter of using the same solutions for all-sky cameras?
                                        > > >
                                        > > > Keith
                                        > > >

                                        > > > Keith

                                      • Rainer
                                        Message 19 of 28 , Oct 5, 2009
                                          HI Ken,

                                          Really very interesting. I went anothr route and just did not order the power adapter as I have plenty of adapters and I am running 2 cales to the SQM-LE. So the housing can be kept smaller.

                                          I will be using a 3" PVC pipe end as well as a coupling and in there it fit nicely.

                                          About the tempeature range nothing is mentioned. In the instruction manual they mention that the temperature sensor range is from -40°C up to +125°C but surely that is not the allowed temperature range for the device.

                                          regards Rainer

                                        • Rainer
                                          Message 20 of 28 , Oct 5, 2009
                                            Hi,

                                            Just got the info from Anthony that the SQM-LE works fine up to +85°C which are about +185°F

                                            regards Rainer
                                          • astrokattner
                                            Message 21 of 28 , Oct 5, 2009
                                              Thanks Rainer,

                                              This summer mine reached +55C during the day and it has worked without a flaw. I have left it running on an XP machine with the Reader Pro software running continuously for months. Never a problem.

                                              Now, if someone would just turn out the lights....