RE: [ccd-newastro] Ice Crystals

    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 1, 2000
      Those are almost certainly icing. There is a desiccant inside the camera
      that is used to dry the chamber where the chip is located. There is a large
      brass plug, removable from outside the camera, that contains the desiccant.
      You can remove the brass plug, bake it in an oven for several hours, cool
      it, and then replace it in the camera. Your camera should have come with a
      black plug, no desiccant, but you can put it in the camera to keep dust out
      of the chip chamber.

      You can get the specific details of the desiccant recharging process in the
      docs that came with your camera, or contact SBIG for any assistance you
      require.

      Ron Wodaski
      The New Astronomy Book Site - http://www.newastro.com

      Message 2 of 11 , Nov 1, 2000
        I had a case where the o-ring that seals the chip chamber was kinked at the
        time the chamber was closed, and this allowed moisture to get in big time.
        The camera had to go back to SBIG for examination, and they figured out what
        had happened right away and fixed it quickly and easily.

        Message 3 of 11 , Nov 1, 2000
          Thanks Ron,
          I had a hunch those were crystals. Funny thing, after I raised the camera to ambient temp, then waited for the frost and crystals to leave, it worked great all night for the next 8 hrs.

          Joe

          On 11/1/00 at 12:09 AM Ron Wodaski wrote:

          >Those are almost certainly icing. There is a desiccant inside the camera
          >that is used to dry the chamber where the chip is located. There is a large
          >brass plug, removable from outside the camera, that contains the desiccant.
          >You can remove the brass plug, bake it in an oven for several hours, cool
          >it, and then replace it in the camera. Your camera should have come with a
          >black plug, no desiccant, but you can put it in the camera to keep dust out
          >of the chip chamber.
          >
          >You can get the specific details of the desiccant recharging process in the
          >docs that came with your camera, or contact SBIG for any assistance you
          >require.
          >
          >Ron Wodaski
          >The New Astronomy Book Site - http://www.newastro.com

          Joseph Marietta
          jmarietta@...
          http://www.astrodoc.com
          Message 4 of 11 , Nov 1, 2000
            That can happen. Once you condense out the moisture, it seems to stay away
            for a while. Not sure why that would be, but that was my experience when I
            had that crimped o-ring.

            Ron Wodaski
            The New Astronomy Book Site - http://www.newastro.com

            I had a hunch those were crystals. Funny thing, after I raised the camera to
            ambient temp, then waited for the frost and crystals to leave, it worked
            great all night for the next 8 hrs.

            Joe

            On 11/1/00 at 12:09 AM Ron Wodaski wrote:

            >Those are almost certainly icing. There is a desiccant inside the camera
            >that is used to dry the chamber where the chip is located. There is a large
            >brass plug, removable from outside the camera, that contains the desiccant.
            >You can remove the brass plug, bake it in an oven for several hours, cool
            >it, and then replace it in the camera. Your camera should have come with a
            >black plug, no desiccant, but you can put it in the camera to keep dust out
            >of the chip chamber.
            >
            >You can get the specific details of the desiccant recharging process in the
            >docs that came with your camera, or contact SBIG for any assistance you
            >require.
            >
            >Ron Wodaski
            >The New Astronomy Book Site - http://www.newastro.com

            Joseph Marietta
            jmarietta@...
            http://www.astrodoc.com

          • Joe Marietta
            Message 5 of 11 , Nov 1, 2000
              Thanks again Ron,
              Will I be able to tell if the O-ring is crimped. I have never opened that camber before.
              Joe

              Joseph Marietta
              jmarietta@...
              http://www.astrodoc.com
              Message 6 of 11 , Nov 1, 2000
                I did not want to open that part of the camera, as I did not want to take a
                risk of contaminating the chip. You need to expose the chip to the air in
                order to see what's what.

                The best test would be recharge the desiccant, and then see if it stays dry.
                If it does, then you just needed to recharge. If it quickly frosts up again,
                you have an air leak into that chamber, and the camera needs service.

                Joseph Marietta
                jmarietta@...
                http://www.astrodoc.com

              • Joe Marietta
                Message 7 of 11 , Nov 1, 2000
                  Oh,
                  Ron, I think I am confused, you are speaking of a chamber that if opened would air-contaminate the CCD, I thought when you used the word camber, you were speaking of the plug and chamber where the desiccant lives.... so opening the camber or compartment (for lack of a better word) will NOT expose the CCD chip to air correct?

                  I as well would feel very uncomfortable opening the CCD chamber...

                  Thanks

                  Joe

                  Joseph Marietta
                  jmarietta@...
                  http://www.astrodoc.com
                  Message 8 of 11 , Nov 1, 2000
                    Removing the cylinder that holds the desiccant DOES expose the chip to air,
                    but briefly. There is a matching black cylinder that you immediately put in
                    place of the brass one. In addition, the brass cylinder is quite long, and
                    99% of it is _inside_ the camera, so the route to the inner chamber is
                    rather protected.

                    On the other hand, to open the chip chamber to see the o-ring, you must
                    remove the camera cover, adjust the shutter to expose the chip chamber, and
                    then take the cover off of the inner chip chamber. When you do this, the
                    chip is staring you in the face; you could scratch it with a fingernail if
                    you chose to. <g>

                    You have no access to the chip at all when removing and replacing the
                    desiccant.

                    Joseph Marietta
                    jmarietta@...
                    http://www.astrodoc.com

                  • Joe Marietta
                    Message 9 of 11 , Nov 1, 2000
                      Ok,
                      I understand it now, Thanks for taking the extra time in explaining it Ron. I truly appreciate it.
                      joe

                      Joseph Marietta
                      jmarietta@...
                      http://www.astrodoc.com