Progress on the book/Running Man Nebula

  • KSBTK@HOME
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 31, 2000
      Good Morning Ron:

      Taking a break from imaging here. Is Chapter 6 in the book complete at this
      point? It seems to me that the last time I printed it out, the chapter was
      not yet done.

      A quick question - I am trying to image the Running Man nebula (NGC 1977)
      but don't seem to be picking up the nebulosity of the nebula. Any hints?

      Clear skies,
      Kevin
      ksbtk@...
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 1, 2000
        No, I have some edits to apply to chapter six, and I have to add the T-Shirt
        method if I haven't already. Most of the chapter content is subject to
        change until final editing, too.

        Length of exposure will help. Sections are fairly dim, and getting a longer
        exposure will do the trick. I haven't done this particular one, but I did
        try once and noticed the same issue. I'll get to it if and when we get some
        clear skies, if the fog doesn't roll in before Orion gets high enough.

        Ron Wodaski
        The New Astronomy Book Site - http://www.newastro.com

        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 1, 2000
          Hello Kevin,
          I imaged ngc1977 this last weekend with the mx5-c. I don't recall
          seeing the nebulosity in the 60sec. exposures. This image can be seen
          at:
          http://mysky.org/mysky/index.mpl?id=14198&group=alt.binaries.pictures.astro
          It's the sum of 10 60sec. exposures.

          "KSBTK@HOME" wrote:

          > Good Morning Ron:
          >
          > Taking a break from imaging here. Is Chapter 6 in the book complete at this
          > point? It seems to me that the last time I printed it out, the chapter was
          > not yet done.
          >
          > A quick question - I am trying to image the Running Man nebula (NGC 1977)
          > but don't seem to be picking up the nebulosity of the nebula. Any hints?
          >
          > Clear skies,
          > Kevin
          > ksbtk@...

          Clear skies,
          John N. Gretchen III
          Port O'Connor TX
          http://www.tisd.net/~jng3/
        • KSBTK@HOME
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 1, 2000
            Good afternoon John:

            A very nice image. I ran exposures up to 2 minutes last night and could not
            seem to capture any great deal of nebulosity. Maybe once I process them,
            more will be evident.

            I'd like to see more of your images with the mx5-c, John.

            Clear skies,
            Kevin
            ksbtk@...

            From: "John Gretchen" <jng3@...>

            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 1, 2000
              Thats it! Wow, ten minute exposures. Oh to have dark skies. :)

              Clear skies,
              Kevin
              ksbtk@...

              From: "Ron Wodaski" <ronw@...>

              Message 6 of 7 , Nov 1, 2000
                Try this image; two 10-minute exposures combined:

                http://www.bizvis.demon.co.uk/hfo/n1977.htm

                From: "John Gretchen" <jng3@...>

                Message 7 of 7 , Nov 1, 2000
                  Thanks Kevin,
                  My more recent images can be seen at:
                  http://mysky.org/mysky/index.mpl?keyword=John+Gretchen&binary_only=1&limit=50

                  My web page has some earlier images:
                  http://www.tisd.net/~jng3/stars/

                  I'm still very new at this and have only recently started using a mount
                  more suited for imaging. I think when you process your images the nebula
                  will show up.

                  --
                  Clear skies,
                  John N. Gretchen III