Dust On CCD?

  • kurt102602
    Message 1 of 19 , Aug 1, 2009
      Hi,

      I was taking some test background exposures last night and just discovered a "black hole" in the corner of my images (all images) that was not present before.

      Thinking it is dust on the CCD (as it is 1.4mm from CCD per a calc), I removed the front cover and blew off the CCD with a camera bulb. Unfortunately, this did not work and I can not visually see any dust on the CCD either.

      Could this be something else, or just a stubborn microscopic dust particle? It measures about 25 pixels high by 15 pixels wide.

      link to image:

      Kurt
    • Bill Logan
      Message 2 of 19 , Aug 1, 2009
        Kurt,

        My favorite weapon to find dust is to use a geologists "jewelers" eyepiece
        with 10 power magnification. The human can't see the dust, but with a
        "jewelers" eyepiece can. Also don't forget to look all along the optical
        train. The larger the black holes or donuts, the further away they are
        from the sensor. You can also take flats to eliminate the dust from your
        light frames.

        Carpe Noctem,

        Bill Logan
        http://loganobservatory.shutterfly.com/
        http://cleardarksky.com/c/LgnObAZkey.html?1

        > I was taking some test background exposures last night and just discovered
        > a "black hole" in the corner of my images (all images) that was not
        > present before.
        >
        > Thinking it is dust on the CCD (as it is 1.4mm from CCD per a calc), I
        > removed the front cover and blew off the CCD with a camera bulb.
        > Unfortunately, this did not work and I can not visually see any dust on
        > the CCD either.
        >
        > Could this be something else, or just a stubborn microscopic dust
        > particle? It measures about 25 pixels high by 15 pixels wide.
        >
        > link to image:

        > Thanks,
        >
        > Kurt
        >

        > ------------------------------------

      • Wodaski - Yahoo
        Message 3 of 19 , Aug 1, 2009
          It's probably not on the CCD, but on the cover glass just in front of
          the CCD.

          In my experience, it's extremely difficult to get dust motes off of
          the cover glass. More than any other surface, the cover glass seems to
          hold on to dust from static charge.

          I like to use a VERY bright light at an angle that lets me see dust
          better (get a reflection off of the offending surface, when it is
          really bright like that even tiny dust particles are easier to see).

          Even with the light, however, particles that are driving you mad can
          be invisible. I also keep a magnifying loupe handy, which can help a
          great deal.

          Because of static, I found that it worked best to use a small sable
          brush (a high-quality artistic painter's brush that is very soft and
          full) as a tiny 'broom' to herd up the dust motes and lift them out
          and over the edge of the cover slip without scratching it.

          One can use liquids but I was never brave enough for that down in the
          electronics.

          In any case, don't expect it to be simple or easy to clean a cover slip.

          And you have to ask yourself - if a flat will take care of it, is it
          really worth all the effort for a single dust mote?

          Ron W

          On Aug 1, 2009, at 8:49 AM, kurt102602 wrote:

          > Hi,
          >
          > I was taking some test background exposures last night and just
          > discovered a "black hole" in the corner of my images (all images)
          > that was not present before.
          >
          > Thinking it is dust on the CCD (as it is 1.4mm from CCD per a calc),
          > I removed the front cover and blew off the CCD with a camera bulb.
          > Unfortunately, this did not work and I can not visually see any dust
          > on the CCD either.
          >
          > Could this be something else, or just a stubborn microscopic dust
          > particle? It measures about 25 pixels high by 15 pixels wide.
          >
          > link to image:

          > Thanks,
          >
          > Kurt
          >

          > ------------------------------------

        • Eric Roel
          Message 4 of 19 , Aug 2, 2009
            Ron:
            A good way to get rid of dust motes from the chip cover glass or other components of an optical train, is to use an antistatic gun like the ones that were used by Hi-Fi aficionados to "clean" their 33 rpm acetate records. I have been using one of this antistatic ion guns for years to clean the clicks and pops of my old music records and also to clean my camera chips and optics. You just aim and pull the trigger several times near the chip and then blow with clean air all the particles that were held by static.
            This has kept my chips clean like new. I don´t know if they still sell these ion guns, they were not expensive.
            Best regards,
            Eric. (México)

            --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, Wodaski - Yahoo <yahoo@...> wrote:

            > It's probably not on the CCD, but on the cover glass just in front of
            > the CCD.
            >
            > In my experience, it's extremely difficult to get dust motes off of
            > the cover glass. More than any other surface, the cover glass seems to
            > hold on to dust from static charge.
            >
            > I like to use a VERY bright light at an angle that lets me see dust
            > better (get a reflection off of the offending surface, when it is
            > really bright like that even tiny dust particles are easier to see).
            >
            > Even with the light, however, particles that are driving you mad can
            > be invisible. I also keep a magnifying loupe handy, which can help a
            > great deal.
            >
            > Because of static, I found that it worked best to use a small sable
            > brush (a high-quality artistic painter's brush that is very soft and
            > full) as a tiny 'broom' to herd up the dust motes and lift them out
            > and over the edge of the cover slip without scratching it.
            >
            > One can use liquids but I was never brave enough for that down in the
            > electronics.
            >
            > In any case, don't expect it to be simple or easy to clean a cover slip.
            >
            > And you have to ask yourself - if a flat will take care of it, is it
            > really worth all the effort for a single dust mote?
            >
            > Ron W
            >
            > On Aug 1, 2009, at 8:49 AM, kurt102602 wrote:
            >
            > > Hi,
            > >
            > > I was taking some test background exposures last night and just
            > > discovered a "black hole" in the corner of my images (all images)
            > > that was not present before.
            > >
            > > Thinking it is dust on the CCD (as it is 1.4mm from CCD per a calc),
            > > I removed the front cover and blew off the CCD with a camera bulb.
            > > Unfortunately, this did not work and I can not visually see any dust
            > > on the CCD either.
            > >
            > > Could this be something else, or just a stubborn microscopic dust
            > > particle? It measures about 25 pixels high by 15 pixels wide.
            > >
            > > link to image:

            > > Thanks,
            > >
            > > Kurt
            > >

            > > ------------------------------------

          • Eric Roel
            Message 5 of 19 , Aug 2, 2009
              Ron:
              Found one antistatic ion gun that looks like the one I use. http://www.2spi.com/catalog/photo/zerostat.shtml
              Regards,
              Eric. (México)

              --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, "Eric Roel" <eroel@...> wrote:

              > Ron:
              > A good way to get rid of dust motes from the chip cover glass or other components of an optical train, is to use an antistatic gun like the ones that were used by Hi-Fi aficionados to "clean" their 33 rpm acetate records. I have been using one of this antistatic ion guns for years to clean the clicks and pops of my old music records and also to clean my camera chips and optics. You just aim and pull the trigger several times near the chip and then blow with clean air all the particles that were held by static.
              > This has kept my chips clean like new. I don´t know if they still sell these ion guns, they were not expensive.
              > Best regards,
              > Eric. (México)
              >

              > --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, Wodaski - Yahoo <yahoo@> wrote:
              > >
              > > It's probably not on the CCD, but on the cover glass just in front of
              > > the CCD.
              > >
              > > In my experience, it's extremely difficult to get dust motes off of
              > > the cover glass. More than any other surface, the cover glass seems to
              > > hold on to dust from static charge.
              > >
              > > I like to use a VERY bright light at an angle that lets me see dust
              > > better (get a reflection off of the offending surface, when it is
              > > really bright like that even tiny dust particles are easier to see).
              > >
              > > Even with the light, however, particles that are driving you mad can
              > > be invisible. I also keep a magnifying loupe handy, which can help a
              > > great deal.
              > >
              > > Because of static, I found that it worked best to use a small sable
              > > brush (a high-quality artistic painter's brush that is very soft and
              > > full) as a tiny 'broom' to herd up the dust motes and lift them out
              > > and over the edge of the cover slip without scratching it.
              > >
              > > One can use liquids but I was never brave enough for that down in the
              > > electronics.
              > >
              > > In any case, don't expect it to be simple or easy to clean a cover slip.
              > >
              > > And you have to ask yourself - if a flat will take care of it, is it
              > > really worth all the effort for a single dust mote?
              > >
              > > Ron W
              > >
              > > On Aug 1, 2009, at 8:49 AM, kurt102602 wrote:
              > >
              > > > Hi,
              > > >
              > > > I was taking some test background exposures last night and just
              > > > discovered a "black hole" in the corner of my images (all images)
              > > > that was not present before.
              > > >
              > > > Thinking it is dust on the CCD (as it is 1.4mm from CCD per a calc),
              > > > I removed the front cover and blew off the CCD with a camera bulb.
              > > > Unfortunately, this did not work and I can not visually see any dust
              > > > on the CCD either.
              > > >
              > > > Could this be something else, or just a stubborn microscopic dust
              > > > particle? It measures about 25 pixels high by 15 pixels wide.
              > > >
              > > > link to image:

              > > > Thanks,
              > > >
              > > > Kurt
              > > >

              > > > ------------------------------------

            • gary
              Message 6 of 19 , Aug 2, 2009
                Hello,
                Here is one here.

                Message 7 of 19 , Aug 2, 2009
                  Hello,
                  If you do a search, you can find them for $35.00 dollars. They say they can
                  be used for lenses.

                  A good way to get rid of dust motes from the chip cover glass or other
                  components of an optical train, is to use an antistatic gun like the ones
                  that were used by Hi-Fi aficionados to "clean" their 33 rpm acetate records.
                  I have been using one of this antistatic ion guns for years to clean the
                  clicks and pops of my old music records and also to clean my camera chips
                  and optics. You just aim and pull the trigger several times near the chip
                  and then blow with clean air all the particles that were held by static.
                  This has kept my chips clean like new. I don´t know if they still sell these
                  ion guns, they were not expensive.
                  Best regards,
                  Eric. (México)

                  --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, Wodaski - Yahoo <yahoo@...> wrote:

                  > It's probably not on the CCD, but on the cover glass just in front of
                  > the CCD.
                  >
                  > In my experience, it's extremely difficult to get dust motes off of
                  > the cover glass. More than any other surface, the cover glass seems to
                  > hold on to dust from static charge.
                  >
                  > I like to use a VERY bright light at an angle that lets me see dust
                  > better (get a reflection off of the offending surface, when it is
                  > really bright like that even tiny dust particles are easier to see).
                  >
                  > Even with the light, however, particles that are driving you mad can
                  > be invisible. I also keep a magnifying loupe handy, which can help a
                  > great deal.
                  >
                  > Because of static, I found that it worked best to use a small sable
                  > brush (a high-quality artistic painter's brush that is very soft and
                  > full) as a tiny 'broom' to herd up the dust motes and lift them out
                  > and over the edge of the cover slip without scratching it.
                  >
                  > One can use liquids but I was never brave enough for that down in the
                  > electronics.
                  >
                  > In any case, don't expect it to be simple or easy to clean a cover slip.
                  >
                  > And you have to ask yourself - if a flat will take care of it, is it
                  > really worth all the effort for a single dust mote?
                  >
                  > Ron W
                  >
                  > On Aug 1, 2009, at 8:49 AM, kurt102602 wrote:
                  >
                  > > Hi,
                  > >
                  > > I was taking some test background exposures last night and just
                  > > discovered a "black hole" in the corner of my images (all images)
                  > > that was not present before.
                  > >
                  > > Thinking it is dust on the CCD (as it is 1.4mm from CCD per a calc),
                  > > I removed the front cover and blew off the CCD with a camera bulb.
                  > > Unfortunately, this did not work and I can not visually see any dust
                  > > on the CCD either.
                  > >
                  > > Could this be something else, or just a stubborn microscopic dust
                  > > particle? It measures about 25 pixels high by 15 pixels wide.
                  > >
                  > > link to image:
                  > >
                  > > http://groups.yahoo
                  com/group/ccd-newastro/photos/album/592601023/pic/1857107179/view?picmode=&mo
                  e=tn&order=ordinal&start=1&count=20&dir=asc

                  > > Thanks,
                  > >
                  > > Kurt

                • gary
                  Message 8 of 19 , Aug 2, 2009
                    HELLO,
                    I FOUND THIS ONE FOR $30.00.
                    http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?accstwek&1253445677

                    > A good way to get rid of dust motes from the chip cover glass or other
                    components of an optical train, is to use an antistatic gun like the ones
                    that were used by Hi-Fi aficionados to "clean" their 33 rpm acetate records.
                    I have been using one of this antistatic ion guns for years to clean the
                    clicks and pops of my old music records and also to clean my camera chips
                    and optics. You just aim and pull the trigger several times near the chip
                    and then blow with clean air all the particles that were held by static.
                    > This has kept my chips clean like new. I don´t know if they still sell
                    these ion guns, they were not expensive.
                    > Best regards,
                    > Eric. (México)
                    >

                    > --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, Wodaski - Yahoo <yahoo@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > It's probably not on the CCD, but on the cover glass just in front of
                    > > the CCD.
                    > >
                    > > In my experience, it's extremely difficult to get dust motes off of
                    > > the cover glass. More than any other surface, the cover glass seems to
                    > > hold on to dust from static charge.
                    > >
                    > > I like to use a VERY bright light at an angle that lets me see dust
                    > > better (get a reflection off of the offending surface, when it is
                    > > really bright like that even tiny dust particles are easier to see).
                    > >
                    > > Even with the light, however, particles that are driving you mad can
                    > > be invisible. I also keep a magnifying loupe handy, which can help a
                    > > great deal.
                    > >
                    > > Because of static, I found that it worked best to use a small sable
                    > > brush (a high-quality artistic painter's brush that is very soft and
                    > > full) as a tiny 'broom' to herd up the dust motes and lift them out
                    > > and over the edge of the cover slip without scratching it.
                    > >
                    > > One can use liquids but I was never brave enough for that down in the
                    > > electronics.
                    > >
                    > > In any case, don't expect it to be simple or easy to clean a cover slip.
                    > >
                    > > And you have to ask yourself - if a flat will take care of it, is it
                    > > really worth all the effort for a single dust mote?
                    > >
                    > > Ron W
                    > >
                    > > On Aug 1, 2009, at 8:49 AM, kurt102602 wrote:
                    > >
                    > > > Hi,
                    > > >
                    > > > I was taking some test background exposures last night and just
                    > > > discovered a "black hole" in the corner of my images (all images)
                    > > > that was not present before.
                    > > >
                    > > > Thinking it is dust on the CCD (as it is 1.4mm from CCD per a calc),
                    > > > I removed the front cover and blew off the CCD with a camera bulb.
                    > > > Unfortunately, this did not work and I can not visually see any dust
                    > > > on the CCD either.
                    > > >
                    > > > Could this be something else, or just a stubborn microscopic dust
                    > > > particle? It measures about 25 pixels high by 15 pixels wide.
                    > > >
                    > > > link to image:
                    > > >
                    > > > http://groups.yahoo
                    com/group/ccd-newastro/photos/album/592601023/pic/1857107179/view?picmode=&mo
                    e=tn&order=ordinal&start=1&count=20&dir=asc

                    > > > Thanks,
                    > > >
                    > > > Kurt

                  • Wodaski - Yahoo
                    Message 9 of 19 , Aug 2, 2009
                      What an excellent idea. Static has always made that job so difficult;
                      this is great way around that.

                      Ron W

                    • Sander Pool
                      Message 10 of 19 , Aug 2, 2009
                        Hi,

                        I had some pretty horrible contamination on my CCD when I first got it.
                        Not something I wanted to live with no matter how well flats work. I
                        ended up using First Contact which is pretty good stuff even if it's not
                        quite so magical as the marketing literature would have you believe :)

                        I haven't had my camera open in many months but whenever I had a dust
                        speck on it I would clean it like this:

                        - blow with compressed 'air' from a can
                        - cut a 1cm wide strip from an old credit card or hotel key
                        - deposit 1 drop of the spray FC (thin) on the CCD cover glass
                        - use the plastic strip to gently scrape the surface, this loosens all
                        debris and suspends it in the FC. You can skip this if you are positive
                        the dirt is not stuck but then if it was the air would have taken care
                        of it, right?
                        - make sure the FC covers the entire surface, adding a bit more FC if needed
                        - let dry
                        - use supplied pull tab to remove the dried FC right before closing the
                        camera

                        My flats are flawless.

                        Sander

                        PS http://www.photoniccleaning.com/
                      • Doug Spalding
                        Message 11 of 19 , Aug 2, 2009
                          All this discussion about dust on the CCD has been very timely. I was trying to image M57 last night at F/10 through a C11 scope using an Orion DSCI II. Instead of seeing the normal ring I saw a black ring. For a while I though there was something wrong with my color control. Then I realized it had to be something wrong with the CCD or in the telescope optics. Trying different things I realized I had a problem with the CCD. Then this morning I read this thread. I was actually able to see the speck on the surface of the protective glass cover with my naked eye but I also used a jewelers magnifier. In my case, blowing air with a camera air bulb didn't work but the camera lens brush did remove the speck. Thank you everyone for helping me solve this problem so quickly even though I hadn't even posted a message yet. I love the Yahoo help groups!

                          Doug Spalding
                        • ec welch
                          Message 12 of 19 , Aug 2, 2009
                            Eric,

                            Thanks for the info on the anti-static gun. I just ordered one and am
                            sure it will be very useful. However, I build my own cameras and have
                            access to the ccd chip surface. The anti-reflection coating and/or
                            silicon surface is a very efficient attractor of dust,etc. It is also
                            sensitive to most everything. Physical contact with the surface and use
                            of solvents should be strictly avoided unless specifically allowed by
                            the chip maker. The chip is also quite sensitive to electrostatic
                            charge, which is generated by the anti-static gun. The stated charge of
                            1.5 Coulombs can generate voltages high enough to damage the ccd chip,
                            especially the very small capacitance junction that converts the small
                            signal charge to a voltage.
                            Regards,
                            EC

                          • ec welch
                            Message 13 of 19 , Aug 2, 2009
                              Sandor,
                              The lead wires from the ccd chip to the insert able package are very
                              small and delicate and can easily be broken with compressed air. Consult
                              chip maker before trying this.
                              EC

                              Sander Pool wrote:
                              > Hi,
                              >
                              > I had some pretty horrible contamination on my CCD when I first got it.
                              > Not something I wanted to live with no matter how well flats work. I
                              > ended up using First Contact which is pretty good stuff even if it's not
                              > quite so magical as the marketing literature would have you believe :)
                              >
                              > I haven't had my camera open in many months but whenever I had a dust
                              > speck on it I would clean it like this:
                              >
                              > - blow with compressed 'air' from a can
                              > - cut a 1cm wide strip from an old credit card or hotel key
                              > - deposit 1 drop of the spray FC (thin) on the CCD cover glass
                              > - use the plastic strip to gently scrape the surface, this loosens all
                              > debris and suspends it in the FC. You can skip this if you are positive
                              > the dirt is not stuck but then if it was the air would have taken care
                              > of it, right?
                              > - make sure the FC covers the entire surface, adding a bit more FC if needed
                              > - let dry
                              > - use supplied pull tab to remove the dried FC right before closing the
                              > camera
                              >
                              > My flats are flawless.
                              >
                              > Sander
                              >
                              > PS http://www.photoniccleaning.com/

                            • Dave Bailey
                              Message 14 of 19 , Aug 2, 2009
                                Would a $20 Anti-Static ION Hair Dryer accomplish the same thing?
                                Dave Bailey

                                > A good way to get rid of dust motes from the chip cover glass or other components of an optical train, is to use an antistatic gun like the ones that were used by Hi-Fi aficionados to "clean" their 33 rpm acetate records. I have been using one of this antistatic ion guns for years to clean the clicks and pops of my old music records and also to clean my camera chips and optics. You just aim and pull the trigger several times near the chip and then blow with clean air all the particles that were held by static.
                                > This has kept my chips clean like new. I don´t know if they still sell these ion guns, they were not expensive.
                                > Best regards,
                                > Eric. (México)
                                >

                                > --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, Wodaski - Yahoo <yahoo@> wrote:
                                > >
                                > > It's probably not on the CCD, but on the cover glass just in front of
                                > > the CCD.
                                > >
                                > > In my experience, it's extremely difficult to get dust motes off of
                                > > the cover glass. More than any other surface, the cover glass seems to
                                > > hold on to dust from static charge.
                                > >
                                > > I like to use a VERY bright light at an angle that lets me see dust
                                > > better (get a reflection off of the offending surface, when it is
                                > > really bright like that even tiny dust particles are easier to see).
                                > >
                                > > Even with the light, however, particles that are driving you mad can
                                > > be invisible. I also keep a magnifying loupe handy, which can help a
                                > > great deal.
                                > >
                                > > Because of static, I found that it worked best to use a small sable
                                > > brush (a high-quality artistic painter's brush that is very soft and
                                > > full) as a tiny 'broom' to herd up the dust motes and lift them out
                                > > and over the edge of the cover slip without scratching it.
                                > >
                                > > One can use liquids but I was never brave enough for that down in the
                                > > electronics.
                                > >
                                > > In any case, don't expect it to be simple or easy to clean a cover slip.
                                > >
                                > > And you have to ask yourself - if a flat will take care of it, is it
                                > > really worth all the effort for a single dust mote?
                                > >
                                > > Ron W
                                > >
                                > > On Aug 1, 2009, at 8:49 AM, kurt102602 wrote:
                                > >
                                > > > Hi,
                                > > >
                                > > > I was taking some test background exposures last night and just
                                > > > discovered a "black hole" in the corner of my images (all images)
                                > > > that was not present before.
                                > > >
                                > > > Thinking it is dust on the CCD (as it is 1.4mm from CCD per a calc),
                                > > > I removed the front cover and blew off the CCD with a camera bulb.
                                > > > Unfortunately, this did not work and I can not visually see any dust
                                > > > on the CCD either.
                                > > >
                                > > > Could this be something else, or just a stubborn microscopic dust
                                > > > particle? It measures about 25 pixels high by 15 pixels wide.
                                > > >
                                > > > link to image:

                                > > > Thanks,
                                > > >
                                > > > Kurt

                              • Sander Pool
                                Message 15 of 19 , Aug 3, 2009
                                  Since I wrote I cleaned the *cover glass* I think it should be clear
                                  that I did not clean the CCD surface itself but the glass Sony put on
                                  top of it. There's nothing delicate about neither the cover glass nor
                                  the pins that connect the package to the PCB. Besides, the power of a
                                  can of 'air' isn't that great anyway, I didn't use a shop compressor.
                                  That would be a bad idea for several reasons.Thanks for your concern and
                                  yes, I talked to QHY before cleaning my camera.

                                  Sander

                                  EC wrote:

                                  >Sandor,
                                  >The lead wires from the ccd chip to the insert able package are very
                                  small and delicate and can easily be broken with compressed air. Consult
                                  chip maker before trying this.
                                  EC
                                • Douglas B. George
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Aug 3, 2009
                                    Sander Pool wrote:
                                    > There's nothing delicate about neither the cover glass nor
                                    > the pins that connect the package to the PCB. Besides, the power of a
                                    > can of 'air' isn't that great anyway, I didn't use a shop compressor.

                                    Just for the record... if you have a CCD that does NOT have a coverglass (some
                                    don't), then DO NOT use compressed air. You will blow the bond wires off the chip.

                                    Doug

                                    -----------------------------------

                                    Doug George
                                    dgeorge@...

                                    Diffraction Limited
                                    Makers of Cyanogen Imaging Products
                                    http://www.cyanogen.com

                                    100 Craig Henry Dr., Suite 202
                                    Ottawa, Ontario,
                                    Canada, K2G 5W3

                                    Phone: (613) 225-2732
                                    Fax: (613) 225-9688

                                    Message 17 of 19 , Aug 3, 2009
                                      What's the recommended cleaning method for chips w/o coverglass?
                                      thanks

                                      On Mon, Aug 3, 2009 at 7:28 AM, Douglas B. George <dg@...> wrote:

                                      > Sander Pool wrote:
                                      > > There's nothing delicate about neither the cover glass nor
                                      > > the pins that connect the package to the PCB. Besides, the power of a
                                      > > can of 'air' isn't that great anyway, I didn't use a shop compressor.
                                      >
                                      > Just for the record... if you have a CCD that does NOT have a coverglass
                                      > (some
                                      > don't), then DO NOT use compressed air. You will blow the bond wires off
                                      > the chip.
                                      >
                                      > Doug
                                      >
                                      > -----------------------------------
                                      >
                                      > Doug George
                                      > dgeorge@... <dgeorge%40cyanogen.com>
                                      >
                                      > Diffraction Limited
                                      > Makers of Cyanogen Imaging Products
                                      > http://www.cyanogen.com
                                      >
                                      > 100 Craig Henry Dr., Suite 202
                                      > Ottawa, Ontario,
                                      > Canada, K2G 5W3
                                      >
                                      > Phone: (613) 225-2732
                                      > Fax: (613) 225-9688

                                    • ec welch
                                      Message 18 of 19 , Aug 3, 2009
                                        Ben,
                                        Don't touch until you have contacted the maker for advice.
                                        EC
                                        PS
                                        Even the cover glass, if coated, can be scratched or otherwise damaged
                                        by solvents, Q tips, lens cloths etc. ALWAYS contact the maker before
                                        attempting any cleaning. I may sound overcautious but I learned my
                                        lesson the hard way.
                                        EC

                                        Ben Lutch wrote:
                                        > What's the recommended cleaning method for chips w/o coverglass?
                                        > thanks
                                        >
                                        > On Mon, Aug 3, 2009 at 7:28 AM, Douglas B. George <dg@...> wrote:
                                        >

                                        >> Sander Pool wrote:
                                        >>
                                        >>> There's nothing delicate about neither the cover glass nor
                                        >>> the pins that connect the package to the PCB. Besides, the power of a
                                        >>> can of 'air' isn't that great anyway, I didn't use a shop compressor.
                                        >>>
                                        >> Just for the record... if you have a CCD that does NOT have a coverglass
                                        >> (some
                                        >> don't), then DO NOT use compressed air. You will blow the bond wires off
                                        >> the chip.
                                        >>
                                        >> Doug
                                        >>
                                        >> -----------------------------------
                                        >>
                                        >> Doug George
                                        >> dgeorge@... <dgeorge%40cyanogen.com>
                                        >>
                                        >> Diffraction Limited
                                        >> Makers of Cyanogen Imaging Products
                                        >> http://www.cyanogen.com
                                        >>
                                        >> 100 Craig Henry Dr., Suite 202
                                        >> Ottawa, Ontario,
                                        >> Canada, K2G 5W3
                                        >>
                                        >> Phone: (613) 225-2732
                                        >> Fax: (613) 225-9688

                                      • maxmsm
                                        Message 19 of 19 , Aug 4, 2009
                                          I like this a lot. http://www.visibledust.com/

                                          The brush is called the Artic butterfly. Dust clings to it by increasing the static charge( spinning the brush with small motor).

                                          Max