New images from a new observatory

  • Don
    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 1, 2009
      Hi,

      It has been quite a long time since I posted an image on this forum. Due to a variety of things, I haven�t done any serious imaging for the last couple of years. I�ve recently completed an observatory at my new residence on the outskirts of Denton, TX and hopefully I now will be �back in the game�. The observatory is being automated with the intention of being able to control it over the Internet. Not quite there yet, but getting closer. The skies are not great at the Texas location, (The Dallas light dome is a problem.) but compared to my south Florida residence, it�s almost like being at a �Dark Site�! At any rate, here are a couple of recent images.

      M64

      http://www.waid-observatory.com/m064-2009-06-17.html

      M107

      http://www.waid-observatory.com/m107-2009-06-21.html

      Click on the images to view at higher resolutions.

      Having not done much processing for the last couple of years, I feel like a �newbie�. Skills sure �atrophy� quickly! Things seem to be coming back with a little processing �exercise�. Hopefully it�s like riding a bicycle, one never really forgets how.

      Thanks for looking,

      Best to all,

      Don Waid

      http://www.waid-observatory.com

    • Mike Dodd
      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 1, 2009
        Don wrote:
        > [...] I’ve recently completed an observatory at
        > my new residence on the outskirts of Denton, TX and hopefully I now
        > will be “back in the game”. [...]

        > http://www.waid-observatory.com/m064-2009-06-17.html
        > http://www.waid-observatory.com/m107-2009-06-21.html

        > Having not done much processing for the last couple of years, I feel
        > like a “newbie”. Skills sure “atrophy” quickly! Things seem to be
        > coming back with a little processing “exercise”. Hopefully it’s like
        > riding a bicycle, one never really forgets how.

        Nice work, Don. Congratulations on your new remote observatory, and
        welcome back to the world of imaging.

        Mike Dodd
        Montpelier, VA USA
        http://astronomy.mdodd.com
      • Don
        Message 3 of 11 , Jul 1, 2009
          Mike,

          Thanks for taking the time to look at my images and for commenting. Getting
          use again out of my "toys" is a real joy.

          I'm trying to get a reliable Internet connection in my observatory even as
          we speak. WiFi connection was too slow and intermittent. The observatory
          is about a hundred and twenty-five feet from my WiFi router. I'm working on
          direct Ethernet wiring now.

          Thanks again,

          Don Waid
          http://www.waid-observatory.com

          >> [...] I’ve recently completed an observatory at
          >> my new residence on the outskirts of Denton, TX and hopefully I now
          >> will be “back in the game”. [...]
          >
          >> http://www.waid-observatory.com/m064-2009-06-17.html
          >> http://www.waid-observatory.com/m107-2009-06-21.html
          >
          >> Having not done much processing for the last couple of years, I feel
          >> like a “newbie”. Skills sure “atrophy” quickly! Things seem to be
          >> coming back with a little processing “exercise”. Hopefully it’s like
          >> riding a bicycle, one never really forgets how.
          >
          > Nice work, Don. Congratulations on your new remote observatory, and
          > welcome back to the world of imaging.
          > --
          > Mike
          >
          > Mike Dodd
          > Montpelier, VA USA
          > http://astronomy.mdodd.com
          >

          > ------------------------------------

        • Mike Dodd
          Message 4 of 11 , Jul 1, 2009
            Don wrote:
            > I'm trying to get a reliable Internet connection in my observatory even as
            > we speak. WiFi connection was too slow and intermittent. The observatory
            > is about a hundred and twenty-five feet from my WiFi router. I'm working on
            > direct Ethernet wiring now.

            That's what I found, and a direct 100 Mbps Ethernet connection is what
            I use. The cable is buried in plastic conduit about a foot underground.
            Before I buried it, a nearby lightning strike induced voltage that
            zapped several ports in an Ethernet switch inside the house, plus the
            Ethernet port in the observatory computer. IMO, buried cable is the best
            way to go.

            Mike
            -----

            Mike Dodd
            Montpelier, VA USA
            http://astronomy.mdodd.com
          • Don
            Message 5 of 11 , Jul 1, 2009
              Mike,

              I also ran the Ethernet cable from the observatory to the house in pvc
              electrical conduit. I think the direct connection will solve my connection
              and speed problems. I will look for a surge protection solution to help
              protect the system. I don't know if it will protect against a direct
              lightening strike! <g>

              Don

              >> I'm trying to get a reliable Internet connection in my observatory even
              >> as
              >> we speak. WiFi connection was too slow and intermittent. The
              >> observatory
              >> is about a hundred and twenty-five feet from my WiFi router. I'm working
              >> on
              >> direct Ethernet wiring now.
              >
              > That's what I found, and a direct 100 Mbps Ethernet connection is what
              > I use. The cable is buried in plastic conduit about a foot underground.
              > Before I buried it, a nearby lightning strike induced voltage that
              > zapped several ports in an Ethernet switch inside the house, plus the
              > Ethernet port in the observatory computer. IMO, buried cable is the best
              > way to go.
              >
              > Mike
              > -----
              >
              > Mike Dodd
              > Montpelier, VA USA
              > http://astronomy.mdodd.com
              >

              > ------------------------------------

            • Robert Gillette
              Message 6 of 11 , Jul 2, 2009
                Don,

                Have you tried the new N-standard WiFi? I use a LinkSys N-standard router at my house, and it provides a reliable signal at my cabin and observatory 450 feet out in a field. I did have to put the receiver device -- it looks like a large thumb drive -- outside, on a USB extender cable (and protected from weather inside a plastic bag), but this set-up has worked reliably now for about eight months, even through heavy maple foliage between house and field.

                Rgds,

                Bob Gillette

                --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, "Don" <don@...> wrote:

                > Mike,
                >
                > I also ran the Ethernet cable from the observatory to the house in pvc
                > electrical conduit. I think the direct connection will solve my connection
                > and speed problems. I will look for a surge protection solution to help
                > protect the system. I don't know if it will protect against a direct
                > lightening strike! <g>
                >
                > Don

              • MarkK
                Message 7 of 11 , Jul 2, 2009
                  Chiefland Fall Star Party November 9th - 15th 2009
                  Star Party Electrical Note: All attendees will have "Astro-Electric"
                  included in your registration fees. "Astro-Electric" means electricity to
                  power telescopes, imagers, and associated astronomy equipment -- not space
                  heaters, refrigerators, and big screen TV's
                  Additionally, there are 11 - 30A and 2 - 50A RV Electrical hookups available
                  for an additional cost of $65 that can be reserved on a first come,
                  first-served basis - please note your registration form accordingly.

                  New Star Party Raffle
                  Complete Set (9) of Takahashi Oculars
                  LE - 2.8ED, 3.6ED, 5ED, 7.5ED, 10ED, 12.5ED, 24ED, 30ED, 50ED
                  from Texas <http://www.takahashiamerica.com> Nautical Repair / Takahashi
                  Raffle Tickets are $10 or 6 for $50

                  http://www.chieflandstarpartygroup.com/events.htm

                • Don
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jul 2, 2009
                    Bob,

                    I use the N standard LinkSys at my residence in Florida and it does seem to
                    be more reliable than the "DSL provided" WiFi modem/router. I ran the
                    Ethernet cable to my house (Texas location) when I built when I built the
                    observatory but just hadn't "fished" the wire into my computer room. I just
                    completed the hookup yesterday and tested it last night. It seems to be
                    working very well now. I feel that a "wired" connection is faster and more
                    reliable than the WiFi connection.

                    Thanks for taking the time to comment and for your suggestion.

                    Best,

                    Don W.

                    > Have you tried the new N-standard WiFi? I use a LinkSys N-standard router
                    > at my house, and it provides a reliable signal at my cabin and observatory
                    > 450 feet out in a field. I did have to put the receiver device -- it
                    > looks like a large thumb drive -- outside, on a USB extender cable (and
                    > protected from weather inside a plastic bag), but this set-up has worked
                    > reliably now for about eight months, even through heavy maple foliage
                    > between house and field.
                    >
                    > Rgds,
                    >
                    > Bob Gillette
                    >

                    > --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, "Don" <don@...> wrote:
                    >>
                    >> Mike,
                    >>
                    >> I also ran the Ethernet cable from the observatory to the house in pvc
                    >> electrical conduit. I think the direct connection will solve my
                    >> connection
                    >> and speed problems. I will look for a surge protection solution to help
                    >> protect the system. I don't know if it will protect against a direct
                    >> lightening strike! <g>
                    >>
                    >> Don

                  • maxmsm
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jul 2, 2009
                      What model I have trouble at 120 feet with my linksys N?

                      Max

                      --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, "Robert Gillette" <tekic545@...> wrote:

                      > Don,
                      >
                      > Have you tried the new N-standard WiFi? I use a LinkSys N-standard router at my house, and it provides a reliable signal at my cabin and observatory 450 feet out in a field. I did have to put the receiver device -- it looks like a large thumb drive -- outside, on a USB extender cable (and protected from weather inside a plastic bag), but this set-up has worked reliably now for about eight months, even through heavy maple foliage between house and field.
                      >
                      > Rgds,
                      >
                      > Bob Gillette
                      >

                      > --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, "Don" <don@> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > Mike,
                      > >
                      > > I also ran the Ethernet cable from the observatory to the house in pvc
                      > > electrical conduit. I think the direct connection will solve my connection
                      > > and speed problems. I will look for a surge protection solution to help
                      > > protect the system. I don't know if it will protect against a direct
                      > > lightening strike! <g>
                      > >
                      > > Don

                    • Bob Birket
                      Message 10 of 11 , Jul 4, 2009
                        Hi Don,
                        Both the images look great. Do you have any pics of the new observatory?

                        Bob Birket

                        Message 11 of 11 , Jul 5, 2009
                          Max,

                          Sorry for the slow reply. I use a LinkSys WRT160N router. It may penetrate our house walls better than others as we live in an 1850s frame house with no foil-backed insulation in the walls.

                          I should clarify that I use the Wi-Fi link for Internet access from my cabin, 450 feet from the house, but not to run the observatory which is 30 feet from the cabin. For that I use a USB hub connected to the cabin by three USB extender cables.

                          Bob