Re: Difference Between the Orion EON ED80 APO and the Skywatcher ED 80 APO

  • Kevin Rasso
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 28, 2009
      Curtis,

      Bill brings up a very important consideration...weight! I too piggy back a WO ZS 80EDII on my 10" LX200. These scopes are almost identical to what you are considering. I have zero issues with counter balance, but the Losmandy system wasn't cheap either. In your final price, also consider the cost of attachment.

      As to your original question, I have not imaged with either scope you have mentioned, but I have looked through them visually. Both are very nice scopes, the fit and finish seems to be the difference. The EON's focuser seemed a little smoother to me, as did the rotator. One caution on using doublets...you have to make sure to focus between filters (even with triplets most people check focus). The color correction is not as precise for imaging. Visually, there are no distracters in either of the scopes you are considering.

      I can also attest to the AT-66ED. My friend has one, and it makes great wide fields, but for a guider it may be aperture-limited on your mount. You can see our setups at

      http://lowcountrystargazers.org/astrophotos.aspx

      By no means am I an expert, but I'm working on it! :) YMMV

      Best of luck,
      Kevin