Re:The curse of a new telescope

  • Bob
    Message 1 of 10 , May 5 8:16 AM
      Very clever TJ! Keep them coming.
      Bob

    • Tom Gwilym
      Message 2 of 10 , May 6 8:56 AM

        > It's an astronomer's duty to complain about the weather.

        Thanks for saying that! I fully agree. Some friends are getting tired of my b_tching about the weather constantly - but they aren't astronomers!

        Seattle has gotten worse every year for the last 4 years. The last 2 winters I got 2 chances at Orion. Now THAT is frustrating!

        Tom
        http://eas-astroblog.blogspot.com/

        > Tom P.

      • Tom Picciani
        Message 3 of 10 , May 6 10:22 AM
          Funny thing about weather. Up until a year or two ago I was having horrible luck with weather, and I'm talking about 18 years of observing! Then my boss did a wonderful thing, he bought me an umbrella. Since then the rain is much less frequent. in fact, in the last 2 vacations I've had 9 straight nights of clear skies.

          Moral of the story? Get someone to gift you an umbrella, preferrably a very colorful one.

          :)

          --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, "Tom Gwilym" <tegwilym@...> wrote:

          > > It's an astronomer's duty to complain about the weather.
          >

          > Thanks for saying that! I fully agree. Some friends are getting tired of my b_tching about the weather constantly - but they aren't astronomers!
          >
          > Seattle has gotten worse every year for the last 4 years. The last 2 winters I got 2 chances at Orion. Now THAT is frustrating!
          >
          > Tom
          > http://eas-astroblog.blogspot.com/
          >

          > > Tom P.

        • Curtis Croulet
          Message 4 of 10 , May 6 10:25 AM
            --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, "Tom Picciani" <tpicciani@...> wrote:

            > Funny thing about weather. Up until a year or two ago I was having horrible luck with weather, and I'm talking about 18 years of observing! Then my boss did a wonderful thing, he bought me an umbrella. Since then the rain is much less frequent. in fact, in the last 2 vacations I've had 9 straight nights of clear skies.
            >
            > Moral of the story? Get someone to gift you an umbrella, preferrably a very colorful one.
            >
            > :)

            I'm in California. The winter rainy season, such as it was, suddenly ended when I threw an umbrella into the car. The drought is my fault :-(
          • Don Singer
            Message 5 of 10 , May 7 7:54 AM
              Tom:

              I agree. I live in Portland. The weather the past late fall/Winter into early Spring has been lousy. If it isn't overcast (which has been most of the time), there is the Moon (funny how many of the clear nights have been during the bright Moon phases?); if there isn't the Moon there has been quite a bit of haze/moisture scattering light. We have had a few good nights, but they have been few and far between.

              Don

              --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, "Tom Gwilym" <tegwilym@...> wrote:

              > > It's an astronomer's duty to complain about the weather.
              >

              > Thanks for saying that! I fully agree. Some friends are getting tired of my b_tching about the weather constantly - but they aren't astronomers!
              >
              > Seattle has gotten worse every year for the last 4 years. The last 2 winters I got 2 chances at Orion. Now THAT is frustrating!
              >
              > Tom
              > http://eas-astroblog.blogspot.com/
              >

              > > Tom P.

            • Ron Brant
              Message 6 of 10 , May 7 8:04 AM
                Yep, I have a theory that the moon is tied to the marine layer here in San Diego.. Full moon, clear skies, no moon, marine layer!! Been a bad past year or so.
                rb
                I agree. I live in Portland. The weather the past late fall/Winter into early Spring has been lousy. If it isn't overcast (which has been most of the time), there is the Moon (funny how many of the clear nights have been during the bright Moon phases?); if there isn't the Moon there has been quite a bit of haze/moisture scattering light. We have had a few good nights, but they have been few and far between.

                Don

                --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, "Tom Gwilym" <tegwilym@...> wrote:

                > > It's an astronomer's duty to complain about the weather.
                >

                > Thanks for saying that! I fully agree. Some friends are getting tired of my b_tching about the weather constantly - but they aren't astronomers!
                >
                > Seattle has gotten worse every year for the last 4 years. The last 2 winters I got 2 chances at Orion. Now THAT is frustrating!
                >
                > Tom
                > http://eas-astroblog.blogspot.com/
                >

                > > Tom P.

              • Tom Gwilym
                Message 7 of 10 , May 7 9:10 AM
                  That's a black umbrella with glow in the dark stars painted on the inside. You have been fooled.

                  T.