Re: Question regarding false signature on Boltwood Monitor

  • Frank S Barnes III
    Message 1 of 4 , May 1, 2009
      Hi Rick,

      If your Boltwood has been in operation for awhile, you might
      try plugging and unplugging your data/power cable, and anemometer cable
      a few times to make sure the pins are making good contact. If the top
      of the sensor is clean, then try reloading the firmware file and then
      recycle the power to the unit. When you go back to the site, take some
      Q-Tips with you so if you need to clean the sensor head you can do it
      easily. HTH ......

      >On 1 May 2009 11:58:07 -0000, ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com wrote:

      >1a. Question regarding false signature on Boltwood Monitor
      > Posted by: "Rick Wiggins" rickwiggins@... meunage
      > Date: Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:21 pm ((PDT))
      >
      >Hi members,
      >I have a question for those using Boltwood or similar cloud monitors. I am getting what I believe to be a false signature on my cloud monitor. For the past two days, the monitor is showing very cloudy (reading around 0 to -2 when it would normally read around -38 to -40 for clear conditions. I know the sky is clear and humidity is moderate so I should be seeing typical clear readings. There is a second signature that indicates wetness and this has happened both days around dawn and dusk, been intermittent, and lasted around one hour each time.
      >
      >Has anyone had this happen?
      >
      >I was guessing that maybe a bird used the tube as a public restroom and possibly left a feather as a tip also. I might guess the wetness reading as a re-moistening of the excrement by dew that drys after an hour or so in the morning and evening.
      >
      >I will not be able to confirm any theory until I revisit the site.
      >
      >Any thoughts?
      >
      >Thanks, Rick

      Clear Skies ......

      Klaatu Barada Nikto ...

      Frank S (Sandy) Barnes III
      TwinOaks Observatory
      http://www.skyimager.com
      SBarnes@...
    • Rick Wiggins
      Message 2 of 4 , May 1, 2009
        Hi,
        Thanks to Frank and Chuck for your advice. I will hope that a re-powering and cleaning fix the problem. Unfortunately it failed the day after I left the site, so it may be a few weeks before I return.
        C'est La Vie!
        Thanks again guys,
        Rick