Custom Tracking Rates

  • paul_lx200gps
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 1, 2009
      Hi All

      I have a mount controller that has the ability for me to enter a
      custom tracking rate for tracking comets. Could somebody tell me what
      is the best way to calculate the information given to me by TheSky6
      into the format required for my controller.

      TheSky6 RA rate (arcsec/sec) -0.1690
      TheSky6 Dec rate (arcsec/sec) 0.0546

      My controller requires the format of

      RA = Min - Sec - 1/100 sec per minute of time
      DEC = Deg - Min - sec/minute of time

      Hope somebody can help

      Regards
      -Paul
    • Chuck Faranda
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 1, 2009
        Out of curiosity, which controller are you using?

        Seconds in sidereal day = ~86164.

        Here's an example of how to set the Temma's custom tracking rates via the command protocols and my driver. It may help you figure out what you need.

        1. From TheSKy6, click Edit > Find.

        2. Enter desired object in the Find text box, and then click the Find button.

        3. On the Object Information dialog box report note the RA Rate (arcseconds/sec) and the Dec Rate (arcseconds/sec). For this example ra = -0.1690 and dec = 0.0546

        4. Compute the RA adjustment using the following equation: (TheSky6's RA Rate * (86164/15)) * -1. For this example, the value is ~970.

        5. Compute the Dec adjustment using the following equation: (TheSky6's Dec Rate * (86164/60)) * -1. For this example, the value is ~-78.

        6. Enter both values, then click Set.

        Regards,
        Chuck Faranda
        http://ccdastro.com

        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 1, 2009
          Hi

          The controller is the Pulsar controller for the G41/G42 mounts.

          -Paul