M42 processing

  • David Bailey
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 21, 2009
      Is there a document or tutorial that describes how to combine short
      exposures that resolve the Trapezium, and longer exposures that get
      faint nebulosity, into an image that shows both?
      Dave Bailey
    • Mike Dodd
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 21, 2009
        David Bailey wrote:
        > Is there a document or tutorial that describes how to combine short
        > exposures that resolve the Trapezium, and longer exposures that get
        > faint nebulosity, into an image that shows both?

        Adam Block's CCDStack tutorial DVD explains this. Essentially you remove
        blooms in the long-exposure (combined) image, set the removed pixels to
        "missing" (empty) data, normalize the long and short images, then
        combine to get the unbloomed stars from the short-exposure image.

        Mike Dodd
        Montpelier, VA USA
        http://astronomy.mdodd.com
      • gyouman
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 21, 2009
          Goto;

          http://www.astropix.com/HTML/J_DIGIT/COMP2.HTM

          --

          Glen Youman
          Penryn, California

        • Adam Block
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 22, 2009
            Hi,

            Please note, the two methods below are completely different.
            One of the nice things about the substitution of normalized pixel values (from short exposures) is that it is *real* data you are replacing. I would add that it actually takes fewer steps to perform in CCDStack than the method illustrated by Jerry in Photoshop.

            I produced a video tutorial to this effect and handed it out during last year's AIC meeting. I did a *much* better job of demonstrating the method. The resulting image I created is here:

            http://www.caelumobservatory.com/gallery/m42.shtml

            If there is interest in making this tutorial available as a small way to support the nascent SkyCenter- please let me know.

            Thanks,
            Adam

            *> Is there a document or tutorial that describes how to combine short
            *> exposures that resolve the Trapezium, and longer exposures that get
            *> faint nebulosity, into an image that shows both?
            *> Dave Bailey
            *>
            *> _
            *--
            *
            *Glen Youman
            *Penryn, California
            *http://www.astrophotos.net
            *
            *
            *
            *[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
            *
            *
          • Vicent Peris Baixauli
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 22, 2009
              Hello Dave,

              I have made a script for PixInsight that allows us to make a *linear* HDR composition in a completely automatized way. Let me show you this example:

              http://pteam.pixinsight.com/forum-images/HDRscript/m42_hdr_text.jpg

              The raw images are at the bottom. The resulting image is processed automatically. The only thing you must indicate to the script is which files you want combine. The script will sort the images and compose the HDR image. And if you want, it will compress the dynamic range through my HDR-Wavelet algorithm.

              For achieving good results, you need aligned and *properly* calibrated images.

              Please, read the post I wrote in the PixInsight forum regarding the script. I talk about the HDR composition algorithm and show some results:

              http://www.pixinsight.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=913

              Good luck!
              Vicent.

              To: ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com

              Message 6 of 6 , Feb 28, 2009
                Thanks to Mike, Adam, Vincent and Glen for responding.

                I don't have PixInsight so elected to follow Glen's suggestion and try Jerry Lodriguss' routine for compositing 2 different exposures.
                I had 10 X 0.5second and 10 X 60 second exposures of each RGB filter. I ran out of time that one clear night before getting LUM exposures. The final RGB came out pretty well. The Trapezium shows distinctly and the overlay blends in. Good enough for one night.

                Thanks for helping.
                Dave Bailey