Re: Windows XP-PRO-64Bit - Issues?

  • Michael Perata
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 1, 2009
      My $0.02

      I have been running XP x64 SP2 on my HP AMD Turion64 x2 4Gb laptop
      for over a year now and I have not had one crash. The only driver I
      can't find is for the card reader. I have tried Vista 64 Ultimate and
      there is too much overhead for my comfort level.

      I do not use the laptop at the telescope as most tasks there can be
      accomplished with an insignificant machine. The only programs I have
      tried with x64 to install that failed were security programs
      (intrusion, firewalls, cleaners, etc.).

      As for SBIG building 64 bits driver, so what? They would have done
      better for their customers by building USB 2.x driver upgrades.

      I run PS CS4 in a 64 bit space and CCD Inspector in a 64 bit space
      and while I have not timed either program they do appear to be
      snappier.

      You will have a problem with x64 drivers, but you can find most
      drivers you need on the Server 2003 OS (same program). If you do opt
      to go x64 then I would make sure you have the SP2 disk available.
      There are lot of upgrades, especially for drivers, that will make
      life a lot easier.

      Best of all, using x64 for a couple of years gets you past Vista and
      into Windows 7. ;>)

      Michael in San Jose
      Ross Creek Observsatory

      --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, "Rick Wiggins" <rickwiggins@...>
      wrote:

      > Hi guys,
      > I am building a new computer to replace an old and dead one. I am
      using
      > parts collected during recent sales and I have a Core2-DOu 2.4GHz
      Intel
      > processor, four (2Gig) 800MHz DDR2 memory sticks, and an ASUS P5N32-
      SLI