Which software supports WCS insertion into 32bit FITS

  • drgert1
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 3, 2008
      Hi All,

      For a mosaic project I need to automatically insert plate coordinates
      (and preferrably some polynomial distortion coefficients) into the
      fits header of my pre processed and stacked sub frames. The sub frames
      are produced by CCDStack and are in 32bit FITS format to preserve data
      accuracy.
      So far the following attempts have failed.

      1. CCDStack has no feature for astrometry and WCS insertion.

      2. Astrometrica. Reads 32bit FITS, does a nice job in star matching
      but output FITS is truncated to 16bit

      3. CCDSoft. Fails to read 32bit FITS from CCDStack.

      4. AstroArt4. No automated reference star matching.

      Not tried yet:
      SExtractor & imWCS from WCSTools (Linux)

      What experience do others in the field have?

      Thanks & Clear Skies,
      Gert
    • Charles Hemann
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 3, 2008
        This program created by the European Space Administration (ESA) allows you to
        manipulate fits images you might try it.

        http://www.spacetelescope.org/projects/fits_liberator/

        Charles Hemann
        Director
        AISD Planetarium
        chemann@...

        --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, "drgert1" <drgert1@...> wrote:

        > Hi All,
        >
        > For a mosaic project I need to automatically insert plate coordinates
        > (and preferrably some polynomial distortion coefficients) into the
        > fits header of my pre processed and stacked sub frames. The sub frames
        > are produced by CCDStack and are in 32bit FITS format to preserve data
        > accuracy.
        > So far the following attempts have failed.
        >
        > 1. CCDStack has no feature for astrometry and WCS insertion.
        >
        > 2. Astrometrica. Reads 32bit FITS, does a nice job in star matching
        > but output FITS is truncated to 16bit
        >
        > 3. CCDSoft. Fails to read 32bit FITS from CCDStack.
        >
        > 4. AstroArt4. No automated reference star matching.
        >
        > Not tried yet:
        > SExtractor & imWCS from WCSTools (Linux)
        >
        > What experience do others in the field have?
        >
        > Thanks & Clear Skies,
        > Gert

      • Douglas B. George
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 3, 2008
          Charles,

          MaxIm DL will do this.

          Doug

          -----------------------------------

          Doug George
          dgeorge@...

          Diffraction Limited
          Makers of Cyanogen Imaging Products
          http://www.cyanogen.com

          100 Craig Henry Dr., Suite 202
          Ottawa, Ontario,
          Canada, K2G 5W3

          Phone: (613) 225-2732
          Fax: (613) 225-9688

          -----------------------------------
        • Jim Cadien
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 3, 2008
            Gert,
            I use sextractor and imwcs all the time, in an automated fashion for
            my drift scan images.
            Both work really well. If you have a fairly good idea of the wcs, the
            imwcs works great. It requires
            an external catalogue, such as USNO, and will go out and get the
            appropriate section from an
            internet source. I have it on my computer which makes it much faster.

            Good luck,
            Jim

            On Wed, Dec 3, 2008 at 11:35 AM, drgert1 <drgert1@...> wrote:
            > Hi All,
            >
            > For a mosaic project I need to automatically insert plate coordinates
            > (and preferrably some polynomial distortion coefficients) into the
            > fits header of my pre processed and stacked sub frames. The sub frames
            > are produced by CCDStack and are in 32bit FITS format to preserve data
            > accuracy.
            > So far the following attempts have failed.
            >
            > 1. CCDStack has no feature for astrometry and WCS insertion.
            >
            > 2. Astrometrica. Reads 32bit FITS, does a nice job in star matching
            > but output FITS is truncated to 16bit
            >
            > 3. CCDSoft. Fails to read 32bit FITS from CCDStack.
            >
            > 4. AstroArt4. No automated reference star matching.
            >
            > Not tried yet:
            > SExtractor & imWCS from WCSTools (Linux)
            >
            > What experience do others in the field have?
            >
            > Thanks & Clear Skies,
            > Gert

          • drgert1
            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 3, 2008
              Hi Jim,

              Indeed drift scan is an application where you can't extract FITS
              header coordinates easily. Do you have setup tips or other helpful
              information to get me started?

              Thanks & Clear Skies,

              Gert