New TEC 140mm Apo

  • ngc73312001
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 2 6:08 PM
      Hi Ron (and anyone reading this):

      I wanted to ask you if you know anything about the new TEC 140mm Apo
      now being advertised by ATWB. I am currently on their waiting list for
      the William Optics 110mm Apo, but am stunned to find that a new scope,
      by the same people who made the lenses for the W.O. 110mm, is
      available for only $4,000 U.S. It is listed as consisting of an
      "Aplanatic oiled triplet with ED glass with two other ones" --- the
      last phrase, "with two other ones," is what makes me wonder ...

      Anyway, if anyone knows anything about the quality of the triplet lens
      in this new scope, please post your comments.
      (TEC's website address is <www.telescopengineering.com> for those
      interested in persuing any more information.)

      Thank you in advance,

      Neil Lemke
      <nc.lem@...>
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 2 7:17 PM
        I only know TEC by their reputation, which has been very good. There are
        many nonfluorite high quality APOs out there; they would normally use a
        mixture of ED/SD and other glasses. You usually don't need more than one
        low-dispersion element in a triplet to get APO results.

        But I can't speak very specifically to this scope, as I haven't tried one or
        seen an interferometer report.

        Ron Wodaski
        The New CCD Astronomy
        http://www.newastro.com