RE: [ccd-newastro] Re: Lightbox question

  • Gerald Melino
    Message 1 of 27 , Mar 1, 2002
      Not only does it not ha e to be square, a round one is easier to construct.
      See http://www.melino.org/astronomy/light_box.html
      Message 2 of 27 , Mar 1, 2002
        I have two ideas for 'light boxes' that fill fit inside the dust cover.
        I have not been able to try either of them as yet, but for posterity,
        here they are:

        1. A circle of electroluminescent panel (and possibly extra
        diffusion). Problem: can't find anyone to supply the panels
        2. Spray the inside of the dust cover (or, if you don't want to
        mess with your cover, a sheet of wood or something) with luminous paint

        If anyone tries either of these, with positive or negative results,
        please let me know.

        --Tim

        ftherrmann wrote:

        > I posted the flat file, but had to downsize it because of server
        size
        > constraints. It's in the files area under the name "clearflat.fit".
        > It's about 800k big.
        >
        > Fred
        >
        > --- In ccd-newastro@y..., "ftherrmann" <ftherrmann@y...> wrote:
        > > Randy,
        > >
        > > Take it from an unbiased source.. YES! You would most
        > > definitely benefit from the "LiteBox" !
        > >
        > > I'm sure Ron's done a study on pixel deviations and will jump
        > > right in with some empirical data he's collected. However just
        > based
        > > on my own casual observations the 200 numbers sound a little
        > > high.. I just looked at one of my clear flats I took last week
        > and
        > > I'm seeing deviation between 50 and 60 in any given area. I'll
        > post
        > > a the flat which was taken with my FSQ, litebox and ST8E. It's a
        1
        > > bin file so be ready to spend a little time on the download. :-)
        > >
        > > Fred
        > >

        > > --- In ccd-newastro@y..., "randy_nulman" <rjnulman@w...> wrote:
        > > > The calibrated images appear OK, but I always wonder if I would
        > get
        > > > better results if I considered Fred's lightbox. (a "homemade"
        QC
        > > > question)<g>
        > > >
        > > > Thanks,
        > > > Randy

        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=217097.1902236.3397169.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=1705
        082829:HM/A=960173/R=0/*http:/service.bfast.com/bfast/click?bfmid=291508
        49&siteid=39249818&bfpage=moneyyahoo4>

        <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=217097.1902236.3397169.1261774/D=egrou
        pmail/S=1705082829:HM/A=960173/rand=489769253>

        <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

      • bjohns7764@aol.com
        Message 3 of 27 , Mar 1, 2002
          Tim,

          Quite some time ago, I did do the glow-in-the-dark paint idea on the inside
          of my LX200 scope cover. Actually, it was a cake pan that fit quite well, so
          that counts. <G> It worked, more or less, but not nearly so well as my light
          box. Exposure times, just for grayscale images, was quite long. So long, in
          fact, that even with my F6.3 scope, I barely managed a flat field frame in
          the time that the paint would emit light. As for color, no chance. It seems
          to emit a relatively narrow band somewhere around the green, and as for red
          and blue, it couldn't get the job done at all.

          About the only thing I gained out of playing with it was to find that a 12"
          cake pan can make a very nice cover for a 10" scope. <G>

          Bruce Johnston

          <http://members.aol.com/ccdastro>

          In a message dated 3/2/02 12:18:32 AM Eastern Standard Time,
          Tim@... writes:

          > I have two ideas for 'light boxes' that fill fit inside the dust cover.
          > I have not been able to try either of them as yet, but for posterity,
          > here they are:
          >

          > 1. A circle of electroluminescent panel (and possibly extra
          > diffusion). Problem: can't find anyone to supply the panels
          > 2. Spray the inside of the dust cover (or, if you don't want to
          > mess with your cover, a sheet of wood or something) with luminous paint
          >

          > If anyone tries either of these, with positive or negative results,
          > please let me know.
          >
          > --Tim

        • usdelnet.joet1/pop4.dellepro.com
          Message 4 of 27 , Apr 10, 2002
            All it takes is money!

            http://www.edmundoptics.com/IOD/DisplayProduct.cfm?productid=1393

            JoeT

            Message 5 of 27 , Apr 11, 2002
              I'd found that site but unfortunately the ELP they supply is only 5x8
              rectangle. I need a 12" disc. Find me a source with a large enough panel
              and I'll be there! I don't think that cutting and pasting pieces
              together is going to give me a very flat field, so it doesn't seem worth
              bothering. Also, at $155 per sheet, it would be kind of expensive to cut
              up 4 sheets of the stuff.

              Maybe one day I'll get my hands on an old broken laptop and I'll be able
              to cannibalize the display for spare parts.

              --Tim

              Message 6 of 27 , Apr 16, 2002
                Hi
                I am making a light box and have not seen any information on how much light
                to use.
                I am kind of new to CCDing so forgive the question if it has been covered
                many times before.
                I have a 12" LX200 and a SBIG ST-8E. The box I am building is 16" square and
                20" deep.
                I am using 2 layers of milky plastic. I want to use 12V to power it.
                Anybody already done
                this and have any good suggestions on wattage?

                Any help would be appreciated.
                Gene Kahn
                gdkahn@...

              • jilouus
                Message 7 of 27 , Apr 17, 2002
                  I placed eight white leds around the opening of the box, recessed into
                  3" long plastic tubes so that the light is reflected off of the back
                  of the box through the difusion screens. The leds were placed so that
                  there was one in each of the four corners and one in the middle of
                  each flat side. They are powered with a 9 volt flat pack battery so I
                  don't have to worry about another cord. Unlike light bulbs, leds
                  don't get hot and rarely ever fail.

                  The leds are the Radio Shack Jumbo Superbright and are wired in
                  parallel. Each led has a forward voltage of 1.85 volts and the
                  forward current is 20 milliamps (0.02 amps). If you were using a 9
                  volt battery, you would need a resistance of:

                  R = (9 - 1.85) / (8 * 0.02)
                  R = 44.6875 ohms or ~ 50 ohms

                  A 50 ohm, 1/4 watt resistor will work fine and the battery will last a
                  very long time. I had to place the led into tubes because they were
                  reflecting off the sides of the box and causing patterns in the flats.
                  If you want variable brightness, just wire a 1000 or 5000 ohm
                  potentiometer in series with the LEDs and the resistor

                  I used the light box design found here:
                  http://www.pyros.com/astrovideos/html/build_a_light_box.html

                  Have fun,
                  Charlie

                  --- In ccd-newastro@y..., Gene Kahn <gdkahn@p...> wrote:
                  > Hi
                  > I am making a light box and have not seen any information on how
                  much light
                  > to use.
                  > I am kind of new to CCDing so forgive the question if it has been
                  covered
                  > many times before.
                  > I have a 12" LX200 and a SBIG ST-8E. The box I am building is 16"
                  square and
                  > 20" deep.
                  > I am using 2 layers of milky plastic. I want to use 12V to power it.
                  > Anybody already done
                  > this and have any good suggestions on wattage?
                  >
                  > Any help would be appreciated.
                  > Gene Kahn
                  > gdkahn@p...

                • Eric Mouquet