Re: Lightbox question

  • ftherrmann
    Message 1 of 27 , Feb 28, 2002
      You can make it any shape you want as long as your getting good
      results.

      Fred

      --- In ccd-newastro@y..., Thomas Boerner <thboerner@e...> wrote:
      > I made a light box that uses two seperate pieces of milk plastic
      with
      > a two inch seperation. I use one five watt bulb painted black
      connected
      > to a 115 volt power supply. I place this over my LX200-10" telescope
      > which is connected to my ST-7e camera and get great flats.
      > Why does the light box have to be square, why not round?
      > Tom
      >

      > ftherrmann wrote:
      > >
      > > I posted the flat file, but had to downsize it because of server
      size
      > > constraints. It's in the files area under the
      name "clearflat.fit".
      > > It's about 800k big.
      > >
      > > Fred
      > >
      > > --- In ccd-newastro@y..., "ftherrmann" <ftherrmann@y...> wrote:
      > > > Randy,
      > > >
      > > > Take it from an unbiased source.. YES! You would most
      > > > definitely benefit from the "LiteBox" !
      > > >
      > > > I'm sure Ron's done a study on pixel deviations and will jump
      > > > right in with some empirical data he's collected. However just
      > > based
      > > > on my own casual observations the 200 numbers sound a little
      > > > high.. I just looked at one of my clear flats I took last week
      > > and
      > > > I'm seeing deviation between 50 and 60 in any given area. I'll
      > > post
      > > > a the flat which was taken with my FSQ, litebox and ST8E. It's
      a 1
      > > > bin file so be ready to spend a little time on the download. :-
      )

      > > > Fred

      > > get
      (a "homemade" QC

      http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

    • Gerald Melino
      Message 2 of 27 , Mar 1 4:41 AM
        Not only does it not ha e to be square, a round one is easier to construct.
        See http://www.melino.org/astronomy/light_box.html

        ftherrmann wrote:

        > I posted the flat file, but had to downsize it because of server size
        > constraints. It's in the files area under the name "clearflat.fit".
        > It's about 800k big.
        >
        > Fred
        >
        > --- In ccd-newastro@y..., "ftherrmann" <ftherrmann@y...> wrote:
        > > Randy,
        > >
        > > Take it from an unbiased source.. YES! You would most
        > > definitely benefit from the "LiteBox" !
        > >
        > > I'm sure Ron's done a study on pixel deviations and will jump
        > > right in with some empirical data he's collected. However just
        > based
        > > on my own casual observations the 200 numbers sound a little
        > > high.. I just looked at one of my clear flats I took last week
        > and
        > > I'm seeing deviation between 50 and 60 in any given area. I'll
        > post
        > > a the flat which was taken with my FSQ, litebox and ST8E. It's a 1
        > > bin file so be ready to spend a little time on the download. :-)
        > >
        > > Fred
        > >

        > > --- In ccd-newastro@y..., "randy_nulman" <rjnulman@w...> wrote:
        > > > The calibrated images appear OK, but I always wonder if I would
        > get
        > > > better results if I considered Fred's lightbox. (a "homemade" QC
        > > > question)<g>
        > > >
        > > > Thanks,
        > > > Randy

        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      • Timothy P. Long
        Message 3 of 27 , Mar 1 9:17 PM
          I have two ideas for 'light boxes' that fill fit inside the dust cover.
          I have not been able to try either of them as yet, but for posterity,
          here they are:

          1. A circle of electroluminescent panel (and possibly extra
          diffusion). Problem: can't find anyone to supply the panels
          2. Spray the inside of the dust cover (or, if you don't want to
          mess with your cover, a sheet of wood or something) with luminous paint

          If anyone tries either of these, with positive or negative results,
          please let me know.

          --Tim

          ftherrmann wrote:

          > I posted the flat file, but had to downsize it because of server
          size
          > constraints. It's in the files area under the name "clearflat.fit".
          > It's about 800k big.
          >
          > Fred
          >
          > --- In ccd-newastro@y..., "ftherrmann" <ftherrmann@y...> wrote:
          > > Randy,
          > >
          > > Take it from an unbiased source.. YES! You would most
          > > definitely benefit from the "LiteBox" !
          > >
          > > I'm sure Ron's done a study on pixel deviations and will jump
          > > right in with some empirical data he's collected. However just
          > based
          > > on my own casual observations the 200 numbers sound a little
          > > high.. I just looked at one of my clear flats I took last week
          > and
          > > I'm seeing deviation between 50 and 60 in any given area. I'll
          > post
          > > a the flat which was taken with my FSQ, litebox and ST8E. It's a
          1
          > > bin file so be ready to spend a little time on the download. :-)
          > >
          > > Fred
          > >

          > > --- In ccd-newastro@y..., "randy_nulman" <rjnulman@w...> wrote:
          > > > The calibrated images appear OK, but I always wonder if I would
          > get
          > > > better results if I considered Fred's lightbox. (a "homemade"
          QC
          > > > question)<g>
          > > >
          > > > Thanks,
          > > > Randy

          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=217097.1902236.3397169.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=1705
          082829:HM/A=960173/R=0/*http:/service.bfast.com/bfast/click?bfmid=291508
          49&siteid=39249818&bfpage=moneyyahoo4>

          <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=217097.1902236.3397169.1261774/D=egrou
          pmail/S=1705082829:HM/A=960173/rand=489769253>

          <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

        • bjohns7764@aol.com
          Message 4 of 27 , Mar 1 10:55 PM
            Tim,

            Quite some time ago, I did do the glow-in-the-dark paint idea on the inside
            of my LX200 scope cover. Actually, it was a cake pan that fit quite well, so
            that counts. <G> It worked, more or less, but not nearly so well as my light
            box. Exposure times, just for grayscale images, was quite long. So long, in
            fact, that even with my F6.3 scope, I barely managed a flat field frame in
            the time that the paint would emit light. As for color, no chance. It seems
            to emit a relatively narrow band somewhere around the green, and as for red
            and blue, it couldn't get the job done at all.

            About the only thing I gained out of playing with it was to find that a 12"
            cake pan can make a very nice cover for a 10" scope. <G>

            Bruce Johnston

            <http://members.aol.com/ccdastro>

            In a message dated 3/2/02 12:18:32 AM Eastern Standard Time,
            Tim@... writes:

            > I have two ideas for 'light boxes' that fill fit inside the dust cover.
            > I have not been able to try either of them as yet, but for posterity,
            > here they are:
            >

            > 1. A circle of electroluminescent panel (and possibly extra
            > diffusion). Problem: can't find anyone to supply the panels
            > 2. Spray the inside of the dust cover (or, if you don't want to
            > mess with your cover, a sheet of wood or something) with luminous paint
            >

            > If anyone tries either of these, with positive or negative results,
            > please let me know.
            >
            > --Tim

          • usdelnet.joet1/pop4.dellepro.com
            Message 5 of 27 , Apr 10, 2002
              All it takes is money!

              http://www.edmundoptics.com/IOD/DisplayProduct.cfm?productid=1393

              JoeT

              Message 6 of 27 , Apr 11, 2002
                I'd found that site but unfortunately the ELP they supply is only 5x8
                rectangle. I need a 12" disc. Find me a source with a large enough panel
                and I'll be there! I don't think that cutting and pasting pieces
                together is going to give me a very flat field, so it doesn't seem worth
                bothering. Also, at $155 per sheet, it would be kind of expensive to cut
                up 4 sheets of the stuff.

                Maybe one day I'll get my hands on an old broken laptop and I'll be able
                to cannibalize the display for spare parts.

                --Tim

                Message 7 of 27 , Apr 16, 2002
                  Hi
                  I am making a light box and have not seen any information on how much light
                  to use.
                  I am kind of new to CCDing so forgive the question if it has been covered
                  many times before.
                  I have a 12" LX200 and a SBIG ST-8E. The box I am building is 16" square and
                  20" deep.
                  I am using 2 layers of milky plastic. I want to use 12V to power it.
                  Anybody already done
                  this and have any good suggestions on wattage?

                  Any help would be appreciated.
                  Gene Kahn
                  gdkahn@...

                • jilouus
                  Message 8 of 27 , Apr 17, 2002
                    I placed eight white leds around the opening of the box, recessed into
                    3" long plastic tubes so that the light is reflected off of the back
                    of the box through the difusion screens. The leds were placed so that
                    there was one in each of the four corners and one in the middle of
                    each flat side. They are powered with a 9 volt flat pack battery so I
                    don't have to worry about another cord. Unlike light bulbs, leds
                    don't get hot and rarely ever fail.

                    The leds are the Radio Shack Jumbo Superbright and are wired in
                    parallel. Each led has a forward voltage of 1.85 volts and the
                    forward current is 20 milliamps (0.02 amps). If you were using a 9
                    volt battery, you would need a resistance of:

                    R = (9 - 1.85) / (8 * 0.02)
                    R = 44.6875 ohms or ~ 50 ohms

                    A 50 ohm, 1/4 watt resistor will work fine and the battery will last a
                    very long time. I had to place the led into tubes because they were
                    reflecting off the sides of the box and causing patterns in the flats.
                    If you want variable brightness, just wire a 1000 or 5000 ohm
                    potentiometer in series with the LEDs and the resistor

                    I used the light box design found here:
                    http://www.pyros.com/astrovideos/html/build_a_light_box.html

                    Have fun,
                    Charlie

                    --- In ccd-newastro@y..., Gene Kahn <gdkahn@p...> wrote:
                    > Hi
                    > I am making a light box and have not seen any information on how
                    much light
                    > to use.
                    > I am kind of new to CCDing so forgive the question if it has been
                    covered
                    > many times before.
                    > I have a 12" LX200 and a SBIG ST-8E. The box I am building is 16"
                    square and
                    > 20" deep.
                    > I am using 2 layers of milky plastic. I want to use 12V to power it.
                    > Anybody already done
                    > this and have any good suggestions on wattage?
                    >
                    > Any help would be appreciated.
                    > Gene Kahn
                    > gdkahn@p...

                  • Eric Mouquet