Re: Best guide camera?

  • hvb356
    Message 1 of 35 , Oct 3, 2008
      The SBIG ST-402ME + a 60 mm Tak make a good combo with 67'x 45' FOV and
      5.25" image scale.
      http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3163/2734321305_2b563b836e_o.jpg
      The setup shown gives me, what I want: sensitivity and reliability.
      I don't know, if this is the best guide camera, but I measure guide
      errors of < 0.6" rms with a Tak mount and get round stars with my
      imaging scope.

      Hartmut

      --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, "xfactor2015" <nav-deep@...> wrote:

      > I know its over the $800 budget, but what do you think about using the
      > SBIG ST-402ME as a guider?
      >
      > Thanks
      > Nav

    • j_kammlade
      Message 35 of 35 , Oct 8, 2008
        The QHY, Orion and Starfish all use the same chip; Micron 1/2inch
        MT9M001, 1280*1024, 5.2um x 5.2um square

        There are other differences which you will need to research, which
        are enabled by on-board processors on at least the Starfish.

        SBIG 402s aren't the most extreme examples of guiders I've heard
        about. I read about a guy using an ST-10, (an old model) for a
        guider camera.

        --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, "bradandmargie"
        <brad.chamberlain@...> wrote:

        > Frank,
        >
        > I hope I'm not chiming in too late on this thread and repeating a
        > previously voiced recommendation but my qhy6 is a wonderful guide
        > camera. I also have the Orion guider (qhy5) but find the qhy6 to
        be
        > far more sensitive. They both do their job but the extra
        sensitivity
        > from the qhy6 means far more stars to select from.
        >
        > http://www.qhyccd.com/QHY6.html
        >

        > Brad
        >
        > --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, "Michael Perata" <michael@>
        > wrote:
        > >
        > > Actually, the ST-402 is $1,700 with a Class 1 chip and filter
        > wheels.
        > >
        > > The reason for the -15C cooling is not only for guiding, but
        also
        > for
        > > scientific/imaging purposes. The ST-402 is excellent for
        photometric
        > > purposes and that is my ultimate goal.
        > >
        > > In the meantime, guiding at -15c allows using a Mag 14 star
        which is
        > > often important if you guide through the OTA.
        > >
        > > I also use a 5 second guide exposure to even out "seeing" issues
        > and I
        > > found the Starfish got way too noisy at that exposure.
        > >
        > > Michael
        > >
        > > --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, Sander Pool <sander@> wrote:
        > > >

        > > > Golly, if you guys spend close to $1000 on a guide cam I can
        only
        > > > imagine what gets spent on all the other goodies :) A -15C
        guide
        > > cam? Wow.
        > > >
        > > > Sander

        > to the