Re: NGC 6744 in Pavo and Galactic Cirrus dust

  • marcjousset
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 2, 2008
      Hi Mike,

      Thanks for sharing this image deep and sharp. Very beautiful galaxy.

      Marc

      --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Sidonio" <m.sidonio@...>
      wrote:

      > This image is of a nice widish field around the beautifull spiral
      NGC
      > 6744 in Pavo.
      >
      > I wanted to go much deeper over the two days but I lost a number
      of
      > subs (and precious time investigating) due to mechanically routed
      > guide issues (later rectified), and friggin satellites! - they
      were
      > doing it on purpose I am sure, plus the seeing was atrocious most
      of
      > the time and poor the rest pluuuuus it was very windy with strong
      > scary gusts, so the faint stuff has basically been smeared...
      >
      > Never the less... I was very happy to reveal that lovely Galactic
      > Cirrus dust again and while not as extensive, due to much less
      > exposure time and the above conditions, like in my deep Cen A
      image
      > it is all over the field, like smoke.
      >
      > Perhaps a bit blue for some of you (I seem to lean toward a blue
      > feel) and as I do, I went easy on the noise reduction again .
      >
      > anyway here it is:
      >
      > Full Frame 70% size (5meg)
      >
      > http://www.pbase.com/strongmanmike2002/image/103969309/original
      >
      > Crop of main galaxy (2.3meg)
      >
      > http://www.pbase.com/strongmanmike2002/image/103969154/original
      >
      > Enahanced Luminance to show extent of Galactic Cirrus dust (1meg):
      >
      > http://www.pbase.com/strongmanmike2002/image/103969838/original
      >
      > aaaand for those who wish to, here is the whole shabbang 13.5meg
      full
      > frame full res image, to swim around in counting all the
      background
      > galaxies :
      >
      > http://www.pbase.com/strongmanmike2002/image/103970854/original
      >
      > Cheers
      >
      > Mike

    • Mike Sidonio
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 3, 2008
        --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, Sander Pool <sander@...> wrote:

        > I am soooo jealous that I can't attempt this beauty myself. Wonderful
        image!

        > Sander

        Ah Sander..I'm sorry but NGC 6744 is just the start of it! LOL :-)

        Glad you liked the image.

        Mike
      • Mike Sidonio
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 3, 2008
          --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, "marcjousset" <mj.astro@...> wrote:

          > Hi Mike,
          >
          > Thanks for sharing this image deep and sharp. Very beautiful galaxy.
          >
          > Marc

          You're very welcome Marc glad you enjoyed it. Although spectacularly
          beautiful, NGC 6744 is not seen very much on northern hemisphere
          dominated astro sights I guess, there are so many rather unknown jewels
          down here! :-)

          Mike
        • Hemalata Bansode
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 11, 2008