Re: PS CS3 and CS3 Extended

  • Kevin Nelson
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 1, 2008
      Larry,

      >So you believe Smart Filters are in the non extended version?

      I think so. Here's an expanded list of the features in CS4:

      http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop/photoshop/features/?view=topoverall

      And the top two features listed on that page.

      New Adjustments and Masks panels
      Easily access every tool for nondestructive adjustment of color and
      tone. Quickly adjust specific image areas with easier access to all
      the tools for creating and editing nondestructive masks.

      Nondestructive image editing
      Experiment without harming your original photo. Visualize different
      effects and manipulate objects using nondestructive Smart Filters and
      Smart Objects. Preserve color and tone details as you correct with
      intelligent Dodge, Burn, and Sponge tools.

      Kevin

      --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, "Larry Phillips" <llp41astro@...>
      wrote:

      > Kevin,
      > Thanks for the report. So you believe Smart Filters are in the non
      > extended version? From what I could read (which was not all that
      > much) you had to get the extended version to get Smart Filters.
      >
      > Larry
      >
      > --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, "Kevin Nelson" <knelson@>
      > wrote:
      > >
      > > It doesn't look to me like Photoshop CS4 Extended is worth the extra
      > > price over regular CS4 for most astronomical image processing.
      > >
      > > I'm still running CS2 but am looking forward to upgrading to CS4.
      > The
      > > main additions in CS4 Extended have to do with painting and
      > modifying
      > > 3D objects. There are some other nice features if you collect data
      > in
      > > Matlab.
      > >
      > > http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop/compare/
      > >
      > > The regular version of CS4 does have some significant upgrades over
      > > CS3. What I'm most excited about is the expanded use of
      > > non-destructive adjustment layers with the Adjustments panel and
      > Smart
      > > Filters. It has other new features that could prove interesting,
      > such
      > > as spherical alignment, better use of memory on 64-bit systems, and
      > > something called "High-resolution web display" that integrates with
      > > Flash to create zoomable images.
      > >
      > > http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop/photoshop/features/
      > >
      > > I suspect more useful features will be found as we all begin to
      > > explore CS4.
      > >
      > > Regards,
      > > Kevin
      > >
      > > --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, "Larry Phillips" <llp41astro@>
      > > wrote:
      > > >
      > > > I have asked this question on other sites but without any
      > response so
      > > > far.
      > > >
      > > > Can anyone explain whether the extended version of PS C3 has any
      > > > advantages for use with astro photos? The one item I can see in
      > the
      > > > literature is Smart Filters which are evidently only in the
      > Extended
      > > > version. There is a significant difference between the regular
      > version
      > > > upgrade and for the Extended version upgrade. I am getting ready
      > > > preorder CS4 which is due out in early November and did to decide
      > if
      > > > CS4 or CS4 Extended is the way to go.
      > > >
      > > > Larry

    • ralldredge2001
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 1, 2008
        To put your mind at ease, I have CS3 normal edition and it does have smart filters
        although they haven't found their way strongly into my processing. I agree with the earlier
        post that the extended version seems to contain things I wouldn't likely need like video
        processing and the mentioned 3-D rendering.

      • Larry Phillips
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 1, 2008
          Thanks for the confirmation.

          Larry

          --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, "ralldredge2001"
          <ralldredge@...> wrote:

          > To put your mind at ease, I have CS3 normal edition and it does
          have smart filters
          > although they haven't found their way strongly into my processing.
          I agree with the earlier
          > post that the extended version seems to contain things I wouldn't
          likely need like video
          > processing and the mentioned 3-D rendering.
          >
          > --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, "Larry Phillips" <llp41astro@>
          wrote:

          > > Kevin,
          > > Thanks for the report. So you believe Smart Filters are in the
          non
          > > extended version? From what I could read (which was not all that
          > > much) you had to get the extended version to get Smart Filters.
          > >
          > > Larry
          > >
          > > --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, "Kevin Nelson" <knelson@>
          > > wrote:
          > > >
          > > > It doesn't look to me like Photoshop CS4 Extended is worth the
          extra
          > > > price over regular CS4 for most astronomical image processing.
          > > >
          > > > I'm still running CS2 but am looking forward to upgrading to
          CS4.
          > > The
          > > > main additions in CS4 Extended have to do with painting and
          > > modifying
          > > > 3D objects. There are some other nice features if you collect
          data
          > > in
          > > > Matlab.
          > > >
          > > > http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop/compare/
          > > >
          > > > The regular version of CS4 does have some significant upgrades
          over
          > > > CS3. What I'm most excited about is the expanded use of
          > > > non-destructive adjustment layers with the Adjustments panel
          and
          > > Smart
          > > > Filters. It has other new features that could prove
          interesting,
          > > such
          > > > as spherical alignment, better use of memory on 64-bit systems,
          and
          > > > something called "High-resolution web display" that integrates
          with
          > > > Flash to create zoomable images.
          > > >
          > > > http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop/photoshop/features/
          > > >
          > > > I suspect more useful features will be found as we all begin to
          > > > explore CS4.
          > > >
          > > > Regards,
          > > > Kevin
          > > >
          > > > --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, "Larry Phillips"
          <llp41astro@>

          > > response so

          > > the
          > > Extended
          > > version
          > > if

        • Larry Phillips
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 1, 2008
            Kevin,
            Thanks for the follow up and it looks to me also that Smart Filters
            and Smart Objects are included. I have preordered CS4 and it is due
            to ship on Nov. 12.