Hybrid imaging

  • Tom Diana
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 30, 2008
      Hello,

      I was uncertain where to post this message due to the equipment and
      processing used. I recalled reading some earlier posts referring to
      various hybrid imaging methods; so this seemed to be the best choice.

      I have taken images with a number of CCD cameras and modified digital
      SLRs, depending on the target and scope. I now have an Orion 120ED
      with Moonlight focuser, Atik 16HR and Canon 400D (Hap Griffin
      modified) and have recently experimented with a combination of the two
      cameras. I use the CCD for Ha imaging and the Canon for color data.
      I like the Canon for this purpose because it is much simpler than
      combining RGB filters and ensures good color balance.

      Here are the results I obtained over the past two weeks:

      www.astronomyphotos.com/VeilSegment.htm
      www.astronomyphotos.com/NGC6960.htm

      The processing steps are described there but feel free to ask any
      additional questions and make critical comments.

      Tom
    • Tom Diana
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 1, 2008
        I just wanted to clean up the links to my photos:

        http://www.astronomyphotos.com/VeilSegment.htm
        http://www.astronomyphotos.com/NGC6960.htm

        Tom

        --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, "Tom Diana" <tomdiana@...> wrote:

        > Hello,
        >
        > I was uncertain where to post this message due to the equipment and
        > processing used. I recalled reading some earlier posts referring to
        > various hybrid imaging methods; so this seemed to be the best choice.
        >
        > I have taken images with a number of CCD cameras and modified digital
        > SLRs, depending on the target and scope. I now have an Orion 120ED
        > with Moonlight focuser, Atik 16HR and Canon 400D (Hap Griffin
        > modified) and have recently experimented with a combination of the two
        > cameras. I use the CCD for Ha imaging and the Canon for color data.
        > I like the Canon for this purpose because it is much simpler than
        > combining RGB filters and ensures good color balance.
        >
        > Here are the results I obtained over the past two weeks:
        >
        > www.astronomyphotos.com/VeilSegment.htm
        > www.astronomyphotos.com/NGC6960.htm
        >
        > The processing steps are described there but feel free to ask any
        > additional questions and make critical comments.
        >
        > Tom

      • alex
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 2, 2008
          Hi Tom I had exactly the same idea of hybrid if you are pigybacking 2 scopes , to use CCD for luminance/detail and DSLR for color and wide filed and than combine the 2, with modern software tools should work

          your links to the pictures don' t work :-(

          ALex