Re: Light box for flats.

  • Bob
    Message 1 of 16 , Sep 4, 2008
      Hi Matt,

      I am interested in building a lightbox using the EL material as you
      described. I have a 12.5" 2800FL scope, and a 530mm 4" piggybacked
      scope. Do you know how large a panel I would need to make to flatfield
      both scopes at one time? And the farthest distance I can get away with
      for mounting the frame?

      This would be in a remote observatory. Thanks for the help!
      Rgds
      Bob

      --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, "Matt Williams" <mattw555@...> wrote:

      > Hi Dean, I just got a cheap frame with a plexiglass front
      > from WalMart and drilled out a small area at one end for
      > the wire to exit. You have to use some kind of
      > support mechanism. The Panel is thin and lightweight.
      >
      > I didn't cut mine, but the included directions say
      > that you can. The cut end must be sealed properly
      > to avoid shock. I believe the included directions
      > tell how to do it. If you have further questions about
      > cutting it to square, Glen (I think that's his name)
      > will know.
      >
      > The hookup is very straight forward. One wire from
      > the Panel to the inverter, and a separate wire from
      > the inverter to 110 volt outlet. I'm sure you could
      > use a power inverter if you wanted to hook it up
      > to a battery in the field.
      >
      > When you go to the "buy online" link, you will see
      > all the Panel and inverter choices. DEFINITELY DO NOT
      > get a split panel, as they have a line down the middle.
      > So when you order a Panel and inverter, you automatically
      > get the correct inverter. For instance, this is what I ordered:
      >
      > A4 Parallel Electrode Panel (8.27 x 11.69-inches) +
      > Inverter,<http://www.luminousfilm.com/shop/?catid=24&itemid=38&shop=1>
      >
      > If you want some pics (worth a thousand words), I can post
      > some when I get home from work.
      >
      > Matt
      >

      > On 8/28/08, Dean S <dean@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > So it arrives rolled up. But it flattens out well enough or do
      you need
      > > use some kind if stiff back for it?
      > >
      > > Did you cut yours down in size or leave it the way it came? I
      would want
      > > the 12 x 16 but cut it down square and saw something about leaving a
      > > factory
      > > edge for the contacts.
      > >
      > > And is hooking up the electric straightforward? Anyway to run it
      off of 12
      > > volt other than using an inverter?
      > >
      > > Lastly, which inverter did you purchase?
      > >
      > > Thanks,
      > > Dean

      and it is a

      <irvandestadt@...<irvandestadt%40hotmail.com>>

      > > In
      > > and
      > > it
      > > If
      > > other
      V, B,
      > > Clear

      <ccd-newastro%40yahoogroups.com><ccd-newastro%
      > > 40yahoogroups.com>"
      > > <lellulmercer@... <lellulmercer%40gmail.com><lellulmercer%
      > > 40gmail.com>

      <ccd-newastro%40yahoogroups.com><ccd-newastro%
      > > 40yahoogroups.com>

      > > considering
      > > following

      > > normally

    • Matt Williams
      Message 2 of 16 , Sep 4, 2008
        Hi Bob, unfortunately I am not going to be of much help as
        my setup calls for "strapping" the plexiglass frame to the
        front of the scope, so I have not experimented with distance
        between the frame and scope. It would certainly seem that
        the 15.8 x 22.5 would suffice (
        http://www.luminousfilm.com/shop/index_auto.php?shop=1&cart=37397&cat=1&itemid=40&
        )
        but I would really feel terrible if this did not work out. I have
        emailed Glen (the owner, I think) and he is very helpful.
        Good luck with your choice, and sorry I couldn't be more
        help. Sounds like you got a sweet setup! Matt
      • Bob
        Message 3 of 16 , Sep 4, 2008
          thanks Matt. The distance is important for the remote setup, as i
          either have to put the panel directly in front of the scope, on a
          stand, or more conveniently mount it on a wall, which is about 7 feet
          away.

          I guess i'll plan on the wall, but be prepared for the stand!

          thx,
          Bob

          --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, "Matt Williams" <mattw555@...> wrote:

          > Hi Bob, unfortunately I am not going to be of much help as
          > my setup calls for "strapping" the plexiglass frame to the
          > front of the scope, so I have not experimented with distance
          > between the frame and scope. It would certainly seem that
          > the 15.8 x 22.5 would suffice (

          http://www.luminousfilm.com/shop/index_auto.php?shop=1&cart=37397&cat=1&itemid=40&
          > )
          > but I would really feel terrible if this did not work out. I have
          > emailed Glen (the owner, I think) and he is very helpful.
          > Good luck with your choice, and sorry I couldn't be more
          > help. Sounds like you got a sweet setup! Matt

        • Sander Pool
          Message 4 of 16 , Sep 5, 2008
            Bob,

            think of what your scope does. It looks at an angle of the sky. Think of
            it as a cone. Unless you have a very fast system with short focal length
            your field of view is limited to a few degrees, right? Allowing for
            fudge factor it's safe to say the cone is so flat that within a few
            meters from your OTA the cone is still as wide as your aperture. What
            does this mean? Provided you aim your scope accurately and prevent stray
            light from entering just like when you take astro photos (ie. keep dew
            shield in place, darkness all around) you should have no problem looking
            at your light box from a distance.

            Sander