Re: [ccd-newastro] CCD SBIG STL-11000M vs Apogee Alta U16M

  • mford@holtonks.net
    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 1 11:01 AM
      As far as workmanship, I would go with the SBIG. Some buddies of mine had
      ordered several Apogees and all had to go back to be repaired. I know that
      SBIG has been around for a long time and takes care of their customers. Just
      my two cents.

    • AVRYAuN@aol.com
      Message 2 of 12 , Sep 1 11:04 AM
        I've heard this before that the Apogee's often need repairs, though some
        think it's a better Astro camera. But, SBIG is said, like you say, to be more
        dependable. Probably the better value...........
        Thanks alot,
        Avery Golden

        Quoting AVRYAuN <_AVRYAuN@..._ (mailto:AVRYAuN@...) >:

        > New to group and am going to build my own observatory. I have a Meade
        > LX-200 16" and a Takahashi TAO-130. I'm going to start getting into
        > astrophotography and have a couple of questions:
        >
        > 1. If it was not about the money, I may be looking at the SBIG STL-
        > 11000M ccd camera or the Apogee Alta U16M (not considering FLI at this
        > moment). Which, in your opinion, offers the best color deep-sky
        > photography. Which gives the best "bang for your buck?"
        >
        > 2. I'm gonna need a permanent, fixed mount for my T-130, maybe one day
        > step up to a T-150. Any idea whose pier would work best with the TAK?
        >
        > Thank you,
        > Avery Golden
        > L.A.

        deal here.

      • sforster12
        Message 3 of 12 , Sep 1 1:17 PM
          Avery,

          If you can wait for your camera, SBIG has a new line of USB 2
          cameras, the STX series on the way.

          I love SBIG cameras, I have 5, but the 26 second downloads on my STL
          11000, with USB 1 are painful.

          Wait for the new cameras with the better cooling from SBIG.

          STU

        • AVRYAuN@aol.com
          Message 4 of 12 , Sep 1 2:54 PM
            Thanks alot, Stu. I'm gonna try to go to SBIG and personally see and have
            them explain their full line to me. Some have enjoyed the Apogee as a better
            camera, but seems to have some performance problems. The SBIG seems to be
            getting overall favorable reviews from other posts.
            Avery Golden

            --- In _ccd-newastro@ccd-newastroccd_ (mailto:ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com) ,
            AVRYAuN@... wrote:

            > I've heard this before that the Apogee's often need repairs, though
            some
            > think it's a better Astro camera. But, SBIG is said, like you say,
            to be more
            > dependable. Probably the better value....... dep
            > Thanks alot,
            > Avery Golden
            >

            > In a message dated 9/1/2008 11:01:59 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
            > mford@... writes:
            >

            > As far as workmanship, I would go with the SBIG. Some buddies of
            mine had
            > ordered several Apogees and all had to go back to be repaired. I
            know that
            > SBIG has been around for a long time and takes care of their
            customers. Just
            > my two cents.
            >
            > Quoting AVRYAuN <_AVRYAuN@.._AVRYAuN@..<WBR>._ _AVRY>:
            >
            > > New to group and am going to build my own observatory. I have a
            Meade
            > > LX-200 16" and a Takahashi TAO-130. I'm going to start getting
            into
            > > astrophotography and have a couple of questions:
            > >
            > > 1. If it was not about the money, I may be looking at the SBIG
            STL-
            > > 11000M ccd camera or the Apogee Alta U16M (not considering FLI
            at this
            > > moment). Which, in your opinion, offers the best color deep-sky
            > > photography. Which gives the best "bang for your buck?"
            > >
            > > 2. I'm gonna need a permanent, fixed mount for my T-130, maybe
            one day
            > > step up to a T-150. Any idea whose pier would work best with the
            TAK?

            > > Thank you,
            > > Avery Golden
            > > L.A.
            > >

            > ************ ************<WBR>**It's only a deal if it's where you
            your travel
            > deal here.
            > (_http://information.http://infohttp://infhttp://informatihttp://in_
            (http://information.travel.aol.com/deals?ncid=aoltrv00050000000047) )

            deal here.

          • Mike Sidonio
            Message 5 of 12 , Sep 2 1:07 AM
              --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, AVRYAuN@... wrote:

              > Thanks alot, Stu. I'm gonna try to go to SBIG and personally see
              and have
              > them explain their full line to me. Some have enjoyed the Apogee
              as a better
              > camera, but seems to have some performance problems. The SBIG
              seems to be
              > getting overall favorable reviews from other posts.
              > Avery Golden

              Why are you comparing the STL1100M with the Alta U16M they are very
              different chips and cameras..? You have a TOA so the field correction
              should eat the 16803 chip in the Alta but not so with the Meade.

              Why have you discounted FLI..?

              I have the FLI PL11002 and it has been a great camera.

              You might like to compare the STL11000M to the FLI PL11002 instead as
              they both use the same chip?

              The FLI downloads the full frame 11mega pixel Bin 1X1 image in just 1
              sec compared to 30 sec or so with the SBIG and with slightly less
              noise even I believe?

              The ProLine cools the chip to 60C below ambient while the SBIG only
              goes 40C, so no water and pumps are required for the ProLine on warm
              nights. I've used the same set of -35C darks for a year now with no
              problem, I can do this with a nightime temperature of up to 25C. The
              camera is bulky as a result of course to act as a heat sink, with
              three cooling fans wirring away too

              No desicant to replace in the ProLine either as it is filled with
              nobel gas, so ice-ups are very unlikely.

              The colour filter wheel CFW-2-7 that you would use with the PL11002
              is super smooth and super accurate for taking flats after changing
              filters ie they always return to the exact position.

              The images I get (I usually use 10min subs) are very clean after dark
              subtraction with no column defects (class 2 chip). the images are so
              clean that I can use "sum" in preprocessing rather than sigma reject
              median etc and I don't need to dither my sub frames (ie move each one
              slightly) so I think the ProLine architecture is getting the very
              best out of a KAI11002 chip?

              The ProLine has the Risidual Bulk Image fix for chips that suffer
              from this issue (RBI is basically a latent image remaining in
              subsequent images, a problem after imaging bright sources).

              All FLI cameras now come with internal chip masks to reduce the
              possibility of internal refections too (perhaps SBIG offer these too
              but I'm not sure?)

              The SBIG has the self guide of course but I think this extra is
              perhaps not that necessary really if the above improvements are
              important to you? In the 5 years I have been imaging without
              selfguide I have never really had a noticable issue, using a
              12" Meade LX200, Orion ED80 and AP Starfire, all using piggyback
              guiding..? Of course there are people who swear by selfguide, so
              perhaps there is something in it...?

              For your interest here is my latest imaging setup:

              http://www.pbase.com/strongmanmike2002/image/81003751/original

              and some images done with the PL11002:

              http://www.pbase.com/strongmanmike2002/recent_images

              Of course, I haven't used an STL11000M so I realise I can't compare
              directly. Please don't missunderstand my motives, the STL11000M is a
              fine, well used and successful platform now so it can deffinitely do
              the job, these are just a few thoughts to add to the mix about a
              newer version of a camera using the same chip, that you may not have
              considered? :-)

              Mike Sidonio
              www.pbase.com/strongmanmike2002
            • maxmsm
              Message 6 of 12 , Sep 2 9:34 AM
                Your missing FLI which has the best built cameras at persent. Also,
                Top service IMO. I have the Proline with the KAF 9000. It is the
                12u version of the KAF 16800. Their microline series is real nice
                too.

                Max

              • maxmsm
                Message 7 of 12 , Sep 2 9:50 AM
                  I agree in all respects. My FLI Proline KAF 9000 is Tops.

                  The new microline is getting some good reviews. It works with big
                  and small chips. The weight and size is very nice but slightly
                  weaker cooling specs than the proline with the largest chips. Price
                  is better than Proline too.

                  Max

                  --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Sidonio" <m.sidonio@...>
                  wrote:

> [...]
                  > selfguide I have never really had a noticable issue, using a
                  > 12" Meade LX200, Orion ED80 and AP Starfire, all using piggyback
                  > guiding..? Of course there are people who swear by selfguide, so
                  > perhaps there is something in it...?
                  >
                  > For your interest here is my latest imaging setup:
                  >
                  > http://www.pbase.com/strongmanmike2002/image/81003751/original
                  >
                  > and some images done with the PL11002:
                  >
                  > http://www.pbase.com/strongmanmike2002/recent_images
                  >
                  > Of course, I haven't used an STL11000M so I realise I can't
                  compare
                  > directly. Please don't missunderstand my motives, the STL11000M is
                  > fine, well used and successful platform now so it can deffinitely
                  do
                  > the job, these are just a few thoughts to add to the mix about a
                  > newer version of a camera using the same chip, that you may not

                • Neil Fleming
                  Message 8 of 12 , Sep 2 12:38 PM
                    Stu has a good point. However, you might want to
                    consider picking up a used SBIG on Astromart. When
                    the time comes, you can always resell it, if desired,
                    and recoup virtually all of your purchase price.

                    ...Neil

                    --- AVRYAuN@... wrote:

                    > Thanks alot, Stu. I'm gonna try to go to SBIG and
                    > personally see and have
                    > them explain their full line to me. Some have
                    > enjoyed the Apogee as a better
                    > camera, but seems to have some performance problems.
                    > The SBIG seems to be
                    > getting overall favorable reviews from other posts.
                    > Avery Golden
                    >

                    > In a message dated 9/1/2008 1:59:06 P.M. Pacific
                    > Daylight Time,
                    > SHFORSTER1@... writes:
                    >
                    > Avery,
                    >
                    > If you can wait for your camera, SBIG has a new line
                    > of USB 2
                    > cameras, the STX series on the way.
                    >
                    > I love SBIG cameras, I have 5, but the 26 second
                    > downloads on my STL
                    > 11000, with USB 1 are painful.
                    >
                    > Wait for the new cameras with the better cooling
                    > from SBIG.
                    >
                    > STU
                    >
                    > --- In _ccd-newastro@ccd-newastroccd_
                    > (mailto:ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com) ,
                    > AVRYAuN@... wrote:
                    > >
                    > > I've heard this before that the Apogee's often
                    > need repairs, though
                    > some
                    > > think it's a better Astro camera. But, SBIG is
                    > said, like you say,
                    > to be more
                    > > dependable. Probably the better value....... dep
                    > > Thanks alot,
                    > > Avery Golden

                    www.flemingastrophotography.com
                    Also check out the astro_narrowband Yahoo group!
                  • maxmsm
                    Message 9 of 12 , Sep 2 12:48 PM
                      > Stu has a good point. However, you might want to
                      > consider picking up a used SBIG on Astromart. When
                      > the time comes, you can always resell it, if desired,
                      > and recoup virtually all of your purchase price.
                      >
                      > ...Neil

                      Careful,

                      Resale prices tend to drop some more when a next generation camera
                      comes out. Still used cameras are often a good value.

                      Max
                    • klomperklaus
                      Message 10 of 12 , Sep 6 10:10 AM
                        For what it's worth, I have had an Alta U16M for almost a year now
                        (October) and it hasn't had to go back in once. It has been extremely
                        reliable. I really went through analysis paralysis for about a year
                        comparing just about everything and can tell you I am quite pleased
                        with my decision.

                        You can see some of the images I've taken with the Alta U16M at
                        http://astro.ihermans.com as well as equipment shots and such.

                        Hope this helps,

                        Jeff Herman

                      • Skyloverz@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 12 , Sep 6 10:44 AM
                          For what it's worth,

                          I've owned 4 FLI IMG 6303 cameras, FLI CM7 and CM8, 2 of FLI proline 16803,
                          and currently an FLI
                          proline 9000 and have NEVER had a significant problem with any of them. Each
                          one of the FLI cams I've owned performed flawlessly, and have THE BEST
                          cooling system available, with all 3 of the prolines giving the "cleanest" fits
                          files I've ever taken

                          I've also owned and operated many SBIG cameras, and a couple of Starlight
                          cams, thus

                          I speaketh from a wee bit o experience <g>

                          bruce karbal

                          In a message dated 9/6/2008 12:11:06 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
                          herman@... writes:

                          For what it's worth, I have had an Alta U16M for almost a year now
                          (October) and it hasn't had to go back in once. It has been extremely
                          reliable. I really went through analysis paralysis for about a year
                          comparing just about everything and can tell you I am quite pleased
                          with my decision.

                          You can see some of the images I've taken with the Alta U16M at
                          _http://astro.http://ashtt_ (http://astro.ihermans.com/) as well as
                          equipment shots and such.

                          Hope this helps,

                          Jeff Herman