C/2007 N3 Lulin and Visualization Tips

  • Dennis Persyk
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 1, 2008
      C/2007 N3 Lunin is a magnitude 11.8 comet in Sagittarius. I imaged it
      four days ago under poor conditions so I tried again last night. I
      was able to make only a small improvement. This comet is starting to
      annoy me!

      On my web page linked below I've included an illustrative example of
      how to relate a camera image to a planetarium program display of
      similar scale. The camera captures so many more stars than the
      planetarium program depicts that picking out similar star patterns is
      difficult.

      I had a lot of difficulty doing this when I first started imaging, so
      I've posted this little exercise/example to help others that have
      similar visualization problems.

      There is also a comet track star map illustrating why one should use
      current coordinates to locate the comet. It is literally a "moving
      target".

      Images, associated data, and imaging notes at
      http://home.att.net/~dpersyk/new.htm

      Thank you for visiting my site.

      Clear skies,

      Dennis Persyk
      Igloo Observatory Home Page http://dpersyk.home.att.net
      Hampshire, IL

      Pier Design Paper: http://home.att.net/~dpersyk/Pier_Design.htm
    • Wodaski - Yahoo
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 1, 2008
        Dennis,

        Where would we be without your beautifully prepared reports on comets?
        You've been posting these for a long time, and I just wanted to say how much
        I enjoy the work that you do. Nicely done!

[...]

      • Dennis Persyk
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 1, 2008
          Thank you for your kind words, Ron. They mean a lot to me. I'm
          thankful that I can share images of these faint solar system nomads
          with the group.

          Clear skies,

          Dennis

          --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, "Wodaski - Yahoo" <yahoo@...>