Images Critique

  • Jeff MacQuarrie
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 1, 2008
      I have recently gotten back to ccd imaging with a newer setup. For
      years I was imaing with a Cookbook camera and a 16' Newtonian. I got
      so-so results using very short subexposures.

      I have recently been using a WO FLT110 f/7 refractor, SXV-H9
      monochrome ccd mounted on a Losmandy G11. I have also recently begun
      to make progress with autoguiding with this setup and so have been
      taking 2 or 3 minute subs.

      I could use some honest critique of how I might improve my image
      processing. I have MaximDL, AIP4Win and Astroart but have primarily
      been using MaximDL lately.

      Here are links to two recent images.

      http://www.astroimages.org/m16.html

      http://www.astroimages.org/m20.html

      Also, be aware that I'm colorblind...so I try as best as possible to
      stick to by the numbers calibrated color but I may have overdone
      saturation since I see bright colors better. M16 looks to me like
      the background in the lower left may be off.

      The links also show the Luminance version used.

      My primary approach has been to gamma stretch the luminance several
      iterations followed by an unsharp mask or other highpass filter. For
      these nebula, I have also performed a weak smooth on the nebula
      region. I like that Maxim allows the filters to be applied to a
      restricted pixel range so that I can smooth the nebula without
      smoothing the stars, etc.

      In these cases, I then did the color combine in AIP4WIN since it has
      a more comprehensive color tool. I then import the result into Paint
      Shop X2 and perform some final adjusting such as darkening the
      background, edge preserving smooth and saturation increase. I've
      also tried doing a luminance layer by splitting the color image into
      HSL components and then paste the original luminance over the L and
      reassembling.

      Thanks for any helpful recommendations anyone can provide.

      Thanks very much.

      Jeff
    • Ron Brant
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 1, 2008
        WOW! a 16' (foot) Newt. Must be nice!!:>)

        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 1, 2008
          Turns out that wasn't the only typo. The correct image links are:

          http://www.astroimages.org/ccd/m16.html

          http://www.astroimages.org/ccd/m20.html

          Jeff

          --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, "Ron Brant" <brant.r.d@...>
          wrote:

          > WOW! a 16' (foot) Newt. Must be nice!!:>)

        • Wodaski - Yahoo
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 1, 2008
            I was pretty envious of that 16' Newt myself. <G>

            The lower left of the image isn't background; there's nebulosity there (and
            almost everywhere else, too). It's just dimmer, and won't be clear or easily
            handled without more data collection time. You can see this more clearly in
            the luminance than in the color.

            Ron W

            wrote:

            > WOW! a 16' (foot) Newt. Must be nice!!:>)

          • Jeff MacQuarrie
            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 1, 2008
              Thanks for the reply Ron. I knew there was nebulosity there, I was
              just afraid the color balance was way off due to my being chrominance-
              challenged so to speak.

              I'll spend some more time with your book/site looking for means to
              improve.

              Jeff

              --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, "Wodaski - Yahoo" <yahoo@...>