Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

6 & 8 inch Ritchey-Chretiens.....

Expand Messages
  • Jim Ferreira
    This is an interesting development. Don t know anything about the optics except for what is posted, but I do view this as possibly the beginning of an
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 1, 2008
    • 0 Attachment
      This is an interesting development. Don't know anything about the
      optics except for what is posted, but I do view this as possibly the
      beginning of an interesting trend in CCD imaging scopes.

      Does anyone immediately see advantages and/or disadvantages to smaller
      aperture R/C systems for imaging?

      http://www.astronomics.com/main/category.asp/catalog_name/Astronomics/ca
      tegory_name/U5QNWB3RKWWL8N3EL99F9DX9A0/Page/1

      Jim
      Livermore CA
    • sforster12
      Jim, I called Astronomics, and the scopes aren t ready yet. They are still finallizing the carbon fiber tube. There are no specs out there re: back focus,
      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 1, 2008
      • 0 Attachment
        Jim,

        I called Astronomics, and the scopes aren't ready yet.

        They are still finallizing the carbon fiber tube.

        There are no specs out there re: back focus, quality of focuser, size
        of flat field and so on.

        I was going to offer to be a beta tester.

        I'll let someone else spend the $$ and check out their images before I
        bite.

        I can't imagine a 6" scope that will cover an STL 11000 chip.

        STU

        --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, "Jim Ferreira" <bakerst@...> wrote:
        >
        > This is an interesting development. Don't know anything about the
        > optics except for what is posted, but I do view this as possibly the
        > beginning of an interesting trend in CCD imaging scopes.
        >
        > Does anyone immediately see advantages and/or disadvantages to
        smaller
        > aperture R/C systems for imaging?
        >
        >
        http://www.astronomics.com/main/category.asp/catalog_name/Astronomics/ca
        > tegory_name/U5QNWB3RKWWL8N3EL99F9DX9A0/Page/1
        >
        > Jim
        > Livermore CA
        >
      • flyrcairplanes
        It almost sounds to good to be true. Like you I would love to hear some input from people in the know. Jeff ... smaller ...
        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 1, 2008
        • 0 Attachment
          It almost sounds to good to be true. Like you I would love to hear
          some input from people in the know.

          Jeff

          --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, "Jim Ferreira" <bakerst@...>
          wrote:
          >
          > This is an interesting development. Don't know anything about the
          > optics except for what is posted, but I do view this as possibly the
          > beginning of an interesting trend in CCD imaging scopes.
          >
          > Does anyone immediately see advantages and/or disadvantages to
          smaller
          > aperture R/C systems for imaging?
          >
          >
          http://www.astronomics.com/main/category.asp/catalog_name/Astronomics/ca
          > tegory_name/U5QNWB3RKWWL8N3EL99F9DX9A0/Page/1
          >
          > Jim
          > Livermore CA
          >
        • Neil Fleming
          Yes, this interesting, indeed. I think my main concern would be the large central obstruction at this size. I have little experience with these, however. ...
          Message 4 of 10 , Jun 1, 2008
          • 0 Attachment
            Yes, this interesting, indeed.

            I think my main concern would be the large central
            obstruction at this size. I have little experience
            with these, however.

            ...Neil

            --- Jim Ferreira <bakerst@...> wrote:

            > This is an interesting development. Don't know
            > anything about the
            > optics except for what is posted, but I do view this
            > as possibly the
            > beginning of an interesting trend in CCD imaging
            > scopes.
            >
            > Does anyone immediately see advantages and/or
            > disadvantages to smaller
            > aperture R/C systems for imaging?
            >
            >
            http://www.astronomics.com/main/category.asp/catalog_name/Astronomics/ca
            > tegory_name/U5QNWB3RKWWL8N3EL99F9DX9A0/Page/1
            >
            > Jim
            > Livermore CA
            >
            >


            www.flemingastrophotography.com
            Direct from Boston - brilliant diamonds in pea soup
            Also check out the astro_narrowband Yahoo group!
          • Jim Ferreira
            I would think it would be far less of an issue for deep sky imaging than for lunar/planetary imaging, but I suppose excessive diffraction could rob the system
            Message 5 of 10 , Jun 2, 2008
            • 0 Attachment
              I would think it would be far less of an issue for deep sky imaging
              than for lunar/planetary imaging, but I suppose excessive diffraction
              could rob the system of contrast.

              Jim
              Livermore CA


              >
              > Yes, this interesting, indeed.
              >
              > I think my main concern would be the large central
              > obstruction at this size. I have little experience
              > with these, however.
              >
              > ...Neil
              >
              > --- Jim Ferreira <bakerst@...> wrote:
              >
              > > This is an interesting development. Don't know
              > > anything about the
              > > optics except for what is posted, but I do view this
              > > as possibly the
              > > beginning of an interesting trend in CCD imaging
              > > scopes.
              > >
              > > Does anyone immediately see advantages and/or
              > > disadvantages to smaller
              > > aperture R/C systems for imaging?
              > >
              > >
              >
              http://www.astronomics.com/main/category.asp/catalog_name/Astronomics/
              ca
              > > tegory_name/U5QNWB3RKWWL8N3EL99F9DX9A0/Page/1
              > >
              > > Jim
              > > Livermore CA
              > >
              > >
            • Mike Siniscalchi
              I ve seen those and was not able to get any technical specs when I called. I m putting my money on an 10 R/C from DeepSky Instruments (RC10C) for not much
              Message 6 of 10 , Jun 2, 2008
              • 0 Attachment
                I've seen those and was not able to get any technical specs when I
                called. I'm putting my money on an 10" R/C from DeepSky Instruments
                (RC10C) for not much more $$$$. At least I was able to get the
                technical details from their web site and email plus it's made in the
                USA.

                Mike Siniscalchi
                http://www.helixgate.net


                --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, "flyrcairplanes"
                <jeffabbyben@...> wrote:
                >
                > It almost sounds to good to be true. Like you I would love to hear
                > some input from people in the know.
                >
                > Jeff
                >
                > --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, "Jim Ferreira" <bakerst@>
                > wrote:
                > >
                > > This is an interesting development. Don't know anything about
                the
                > > optics except for what is posted, but I do view this as possibly
                the
                > > beginning of an interesting trend in CCD imaging scopes.
                > >
                > > Does anyone immediately see advantages and/or disadvantages to
                > smaller
                > > aperture R/C systems for imaging?
                > >
                > >
                >
                http://www.astronomics.com/main/category.asp/catalog_name/Astronomics/
                ca
                > > tegory_name/U5QNWB3RKWWL8N3EL99F9DX9A0/Page/1
                > >
                > > Jim
                > > Livermore CA
                > >
                >
              • Michael Bieler
                The 6 shouldn t cover the 11000. It is designed for the budgetary imagers in mind with smaller cameras and such. The focuser is a typical crayford on the 6
                Message 7 of 10 , Jun 2, 2008
                • 0 Attachment
                  The 6" shouldn't cover the 11000. It is designed for the budgetary
                  imagers in mind with smaller cameras and such. The focuser is a
                  typical crayford on the 6" and a non CF tube. The 8" and larger use a
                  FT and a CF tube as well as quartz optics.

                  Mike

                  On Jun 1, 2008, at 7:12 PM, sforster12 wrote:

                  > Jim,
                  >
                  > I called Astronomics, and the scopes aren't ready yet.
                  >
                  > They are still finallizing the carbon fiber tube.
                  >
                  > There are no specs out there re: back focus, quality of focuser, size
                  > of flat field and so on.
                  >
                  > I was going to offer to be a beta tester.
                  >
                  > I'll let someone else spend the $$ and check out their images before I
                  > bite.
                  >
                  > I can't imagine a 6" scope that will cover an STL 11000 chip.
                  >
                  > STU
                  >
                  > --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, "Jim Ferreira" <bakerst@...>
                  > wrote:
                  >>
                  >> This is an interesting development. Don't know anything about the
                  >> optics except for what is posted, but I do view this as possibly the
                  >> beginning of an interesting trend in CCD imaging scopes.
                  >>
                  >> Does anyone immediately see advantages and/or disadvantages to
                  > smaller
                  >> aperture R/C systems for imaging?
                  >>
                  >>
                  > http://www.astronomics.com/main/category.asp/catalog_name/Astronomics/ca
                  >> tegory_name/U5QNWB3RKWWL8N3EL99F9DX9A0/Page/1
                  >>
                  >> Jim
                  >> Livermore CA
                  >>
                  >
                  >
                  >
                  > ------------------------------------
                  >
                  >
                  >
                  >
                • sforster12
                  Mike, I ll await your report on the DSI scope. Are you getting the version with the corrector? STU ... the ... hear ... possibly ...
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jun 2, 2008
                  • 0 Attachment
                    Mike,

                    I'll await your report on the DSI scope.

                    Are you getting the version with the corrector?

                    STU
                    --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Siniscalchi"
                    <helixgate@...> wrote:
                    >
                    >
                    >
                    > I've seen those and was not able to get any technical specs when I
                    > called. I'm putting my money on an 10" R/C from DeepSky Instruments
                    > (RC10C) for not much more $$$$. At least I was able to get the
                    > technical details from their web site and email plus it's made in
                    the
                    > USA.
                    >
                    > Mike Siniscalchi
                    > http://www.helixgate.net
                    >
                    >
                    > --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, "flyrcairplanes"
                    > <jeffabbyben@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > It almost sounds to good to be true. Like you I would love to
                    hear
                    > > some input from people in the know.
                    > >
                    > > Jeff
                    > >
                    > > --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, "Jim Ferreira" <bakerst@>
                    > > wrote:
                    > > >
                    > > > This is an interesting development. Don't know anything about
                    > the
                    > > > optics except for what is posted, but I do view this as
                    possibly
                    > the
                    > > > beginning of an interesting trend in CCD imaging scopes.
                    > > >
                    > > > Does anyone immediately see advantages and/or disadvantages to
                    > > smaller
                    > > > aperture R/C systems for imaging?
                    > > >
                    > > >
                    > >
                    >
                    http://www.astronomics.com/main/category.asp/catalog_name/Astronomics/
                    > ca
                    > > > tegory_name/U5QNWB3RKWWL8N3EL99F9DX9A0/Page/1
                    > > >
                    > > > Jim
                    > > > Livermore CA
                    > > >
                    > >
                    >
                  • Mike Siniscalchi
                    Hi Stu, Yes. Even though the camera I use now doesn t need it I want to make sure the FOV is flat when I can upgrade to a larger sensor. Mike Siniscalchi
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jun 2, 2008
                    • 0 Attachment
                      Hi Stu,

                      Yes. Even though the camera I use now doesn't need it I want to make
                      sure the FOV is flat when I can upgrade to a larger sensor.

                      Mike Siniscalchi
                      http://www.helixgate.net


                      --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, "sforster12" <SHFORSTER1@...>
                      wrote:
                      >
                      > Mike,
                      >
                      > I'll await your report on the DSI scope.
                      >
                      > Are you getting the version with the corrector?
                      >
                      > STU
                      > --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Siniscalchi"
                      > <helixgate@> wrote:
                      > >
                      > >
                      > >
                      > > I've seen those and was not able to get any technical specs when
                      I
                      > > called. I'm putting my money on an 10" R/C from DeepSky
                      Instruments
                      > > (RC10C) for not much more $$$$. At least I was able to get the
                      > > technical details from their web site and email plus it's made in
                      > the
                      > > USA.
                      > >
                      > > Mike Siniscalchi
                      > > http://www.helixgate.net
                      > >
                      > >
                      > > --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, "flyrcairplanes"
                      > > <jeffabbyben@> wrote:
                      > > >
                      > > > It almost sounds to good to be true. Like you I would love to
                      > hear
                      > > > some input from people in the know.
                      > > >
                      > > > Jeff
                      > > >
                      > > > --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, "Jim Ferreira"
                      <bakerst@>
                      > > > wrote:
                      > > > >
                      > > > > This is an interesting development. Don't know anything
                      about
                      > > the
                      > > > > optics except for what is posted, but I do view this as
                      > possibly
                      > > the
                      > > > > beginning of an interesting trend in CCD imaging scopes.
                      > > > >
                      > > > > Does anyone immediately see advantages and/or disadvantages
                      to
                      > > > smaller
                      > > > > aperture R/C systems for imaging?
                      > > > >
                      > > > >
                      > > >
                      > >
                      >
                      http://www.astronomics.com/main/category.asp/catalog_name/Astronomics/
                      > > ca
                      > > > > tegory_name/U5QNWB3RKWWL8N3EL99F9DX9A0/Page/1
                      > > > >
                      > > > > Jim
                      > > > > Livermore CA
                      > > > >
                      > > >
                      > >
                      >
                    • Jim Ferreira
                      Say, Mike. Do you has specs on weight and overall size for the 6 inch? Restricted as I am to lightweight equipment and modest size CCD imager, the 6 inch is
                      Message 10 of 10 , Jun 3, 2008
                      • 0 Attachment
                        Say, Mike. Do you has specs on weight and overall size for the 6
                        inch? Restricted as I am to lightweight equipment and modest size CCD
                        imager, the 6 inch is certainly very interesting.

                        Thanks
                        Jim
                        Livermore CA



                        > The 6" shouldn't cover the 11000. It is designed for the budgetary
                        > imagers in mind with smaller cameras and such. The focuser is a
                        > typical crayford on the 6" and a non CF tube. The 8" and larger use
                        a
                        > FT and a CF tube as well as quartz optics.
                        >
                        > Mike
                      Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.