Re: OT: Remote Access with Satellite Internet

  • Robert
    Message 1 of 7 , May 4 6:16 AM
      Steve,

      How do you want to access your pc? Do you want to use remote desktop
      control? Where is the NAT in your setup? Does the hughes dish give
      you a publicly addressable IP?

      So elaborate some on the questions. If the hughes connection gives
      you a public ip. One that is available to the internet that anyone
      can see and your NAT is inside your network like using a home router
      then you can configure the dynamic dns entry with NO-IP to your
      public address. Then in your router you can go and enter in port
      forwarding addresses to translate RDC requests to the correct
      computer.

      Now if you dont have a public IP with the hughes connection then your
      going to need some software in between. Like go to my pc or webx etc
      that can give you remote control over a web connection.

      Robert

      --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, "Steve Reilly" <sreilly@...>
      wrote:

      > I have been working to get the observatory automated and have just
      a few
      > issues to resolve. I find myself traveling more these days and want
      to be
      > bale to call up the observatory and start an imaging session when
      weather
      > permits. The software is configured and runs well but the remote
      connection
      > is the last piece. I have Hughes Satellite Internet due to my
      location. I'm
      > told that NO-IP won't work because there is a NAT in front of my
      connection
      > and that blocks remote connections. Is anyone doing this with
      satellite and
      > if so, how did you get remote connections, software/hardware?
      >

      > Thanks,
      >

      > Steve

    • Rick Wiggins
      Message 2 of 7 , May 6 3:55 PM
        Hi Steve,
        I have been operating my remote observatory with a VSAT satellite
        service for nearly two years. There are a couple of things to be
        wary of in this setup. First is whether you can get a fixed IP. It
        is much better if you can get the fixed IP, but if you can't then
        run a DDNS sevice, which gives you a fixed URL or virtual fixed IP.

        Second is to get a good router so that you can set up all your port
        forwarding and use you r router as a diagnostic tool when
        troubleshooting your system remotely.

        Most important is to consider the satellite service and its affects
        on your system. Your Ping time will be 900msec or worse and may have
        quite a bit of variability. The TCPIP Internet will be spoofed by
        the satellite Gateway, so this gives things like encryption and VPN
        sevices the fits.

        I have found that certain Remote software works better with teh
        satellite link. I can not get Remote Desktop to work reliably due to
        the embedded encryption. I have found that PCAnywhere Version 10.5
        is very robust with the satellite link. This is a really oldie but
        goodie that you can still buy on e-bay for $10-$20. Radmin also
        seems to work well. There may be others.

        When running a remote observatory over a satellite link, the most
        unrelaible part of your system will be the link itself (assuming
        that you designed your observatory correctly and mitigated the usual
        problems, such as closing when it cloulds up or rains). The point
        here is to know right now that your link will drop out at the most
        inopportune moment, and so design your system accordingly.

        Fell free to contact me more more details if you desire.
        Thanks, Rick

        wrote:

        > I have been working to get the observatory automated and have just
        a few
        > issues to resolve. I find myself traveling more these days and
        want to be
        > bale to call up the observatory and start an imaging session when
        weather
        > permits. The software is configured and runs well but the remote
        connection
        > is the last piece. I have Hughes Satellite Internet due to my
        location. I'm
        > told that NO-IP won't work because there is a NAT in front of my
        connection
        > and that blocks remote connections. Is anyone doing this with
        satellite and
        > if so, how did you get remote connections, software/hardware?
        >

        > Thanks,
        >

        > Steve

      • Bob Denny
        Message 3 of 7 , May 9 9:00 PM
          > I believe there are companies that offer [DDNS] service for a fee.

          ACP customers get a static or dynamic DNS domain free of charge, in
          the my-sky.com domain, which has virtually any name still available.

          -- Bob