Re: CCD Camera Suggestions -

  • Jim Ferreira
    Message 1 of 16 , Mar 5, 2008
      Hi Dennis

      The Atik 16IC monochrome camera is a pretty good way to go (cooled,
      16 bit), though it will pretty much eat up your initial budget.

      Despite the good prices for entry level cameras like those you
      mention, there is still a lot more you need to invest in if you want
      to do seriuos imaging - monochrome, narrow-band or broadband color.

      What kind of scope and mount do you have? Are they up to the task of
      imaging? Are you planning to do non-guided imaging for starts?
      Eventually, your going to want to go to a guided system.....30 second
      sub-frames can leave much to be desired. Especially with larger
      aperture, longer focal length scopes.

      Good luck with your quest for fire!

      Jim
      Livermore CA
      http://www.lafterhall.com/ccd_imaging.html

      --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, "Dennis" <recla@...> wrote:

      > A bit of a newbie at this, and have a limited budget, so the SBIG
      > cameras and their like are a little out of my current price range.
      > But do have about $700 to spend on a color camera or B&W with set
      of
      > filters. What suggestions do you have? I've tried to find some
      > comparison reviews, but so far haven't found anything. It looks
      like
      > choices are Meade Deep Sky Imagers, the Orion Star Shooter, or the
      ETIK
      > cameras?
      > Anyone have any guidance, or suggestions?
      >
      > It is appreciated - Anyone here going to Golden State Star Party on
      the
      > 4th of July?
      >
      > Thanks
      >
      > Dennis

    • Jim Ferreira
      Message 2 of 16 , Mar 5, 2008
        Dennis, a lot really depends on the scope and mount you have and the
        kind of imaging you want to do. Also, the kind of skies you're
        typically going to be shooting under. If fighting light pollution is
        going to be a major issue, like shooting from your suburban backyard,
        then shooting single shot color is going to challenging - DSLR or
        cooled CCD, if not frustrating. A camera that is sensitive enough to
        shoot narrowband, like H-alpha may be a far more productive, and worth
        considering.

        Cheers,
        Jim
        Livermore CA
        http://www.lafterhall.com/ccd_imaging.html

        Or perhaps..

        > The better question I should have asked, would be.. Comparing a DSLR
        vs a
        > dedicated CCD Camera in the $500-$700 price range am I getting a
        better
        > imager and comparing all of them, which would be considered the best
        camera?

        > Dennis

      • dannysperry
        Message 3 of 16 , Mar 5, 2008
          Dennis,

          You might want to give that D70 a good work out! :) I've been using a
          DSLR for astro-imaging for about 3 years now. After using dedicated
          CCD cameras for about 4 years before that, I was really surprised at
          the results and the ease of processing with a DSLR.

          It's certainly not a substitute for a good, sensitive CCD camera but
          I think it's defintely something to consider for your budget.

          Here are some images I've taken with DSLRs. They're not the best
          images you'll find but I think they're OK given the amount of time I
          invested in each:

          Modified Canon 20D:
          http://www.californiastars.net/gallery/m008.m020_20d_fsq106.html
          http://www.californiastars.net/gallery/m017_20d_sv80s.html
          http://www.californiastars.net/gallery/m042_20d_toa130.html
          http://www.californiastars.net/gallery/ic434_20d_toa130.html
          http://www.californiastars.net/gallery/lunareclipse_20d_fsq106.html

          Unmodified Canon 40D:
          http://www.californiastars.net/gallery/ic434_40d_fsq106.html
          http://www.californiastars.net/gallery/m081.m082_40d_fsq106.html
          http://www.californiastars.net/gallery/m045_40d_fsq106.html
          http://www.californiastars.net/gallery/holmes_40d_200l_20071215.html

          I still use a dedicated astro CCD camera because you just can't beat
          certain models for narrowband imaging and overall sensitivity (I
          currently use an SBIG ST-10XME along with my Canon 40D). But I'll
          forever continue to use a DSLR too because they're so simple and fun.

          By the way, I was thinking about going up to the Shingletown Star
          Party but now I'm considering the GSSP instead. I'll let you know if
          I decide to go (I'd be coming up from the LA area).

          Best,
          Danny

          --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, "Dennis Recla" <recla@...> wrote:

          > Thanks Danny
          >

          > Well, that is a consideration, as I do have a Nikon D70 Camera.
          Although

          newastro@yahoogroups.com] On
          > Behalf Of dannysperry
          > Sent: Tuesday, March 04, 2008 11:08 PM
          > To: ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com
          > Subject: [ccd-newastro] Re: CCD Camera Suggestions -
          >

          > Hi Dennis,
          >
          > Have you considered a DSLR instead? You can get a great, multi-
          > purpose camera with a huge field of view for astrophotos.
          >
          > Just a thought.
          >
          > Best,
          > Danny
          > http://www.californ <http://www.californiastars.net/> iastars.net/
          >
          > --- In ccd-newastro@ <mailto:ccd-newastro%40yahoogroups.com>
          > yahoogroups.com, "Dennis" <recla@> wrote:
          > >
          > > A bit of a newbie at this, and have a limited budget, so the SBIG
          > > cameras and their like are a little out of my current price range.
          > > But do have about $700 to spend on a color camera or B&W with set
          > of
          > > filters. What suggestions do you have? I've tried to find some
          > > comparison reviews, but so far haven't found anything. It looks
          > like
          > > choices are Meade Deep Sky Imagers, the Orion Star Shooter, or
          the
          > ETIK
          > > cameras?
          > > Anyone have any guidance, or suggestions?
          > >
          > > It is appreciated - Anyone here going to Golden State Star Party
          on
          > the
          > > 4th of July?
          > >
          > > Thanks
          > >
          > > Dennis

        • Dennis
          Message 4 of 16 , Mar 5, 2008
            That's where the budget went.. I now have an Orion Atlas EQ-G mount
            which has replaced the original fork mount on my Celestron C8
            PowerStar. I also have a Celestron Comet Catcher RFT and been
            shopping for an 80mm ED to add to the collection. The ole fork mount,
            while clock driven was just too unstable even for basic photography
            using a modified CCD Computer Camera. The new mounting is SOLID and
            all controlled from my computer. Trying to make a decision on what I
            might do to upgrade to a better CCD camera.

            Dennis

            --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, "Jim Ferreira" <bakerst@...>
            wrote:

            > Hi Dennis
            >
            > The Atik 16IC monochrome camera is a pretty good way to go (cooled,
            > 16 bit), though it will pretty much eat up your initial budget.
            >
            > Despite the good prices for entry level cameras like those you
            > mention, there is still a lot more you need to invest in if you
            want
            > to do seriuos imaging - monochrome, narrow-band or broadband color.
            >
            > What kind of scope and mount do you have? Are they up to the task
            of
            > imaging? Are you planning to do non-guided imaging for starts?
            > Eventually, your going to want to go to a guided system.....30
            second
            > sub-frames can leave much to be desired. Especially with larger
            > aperture, longer focal length scopes.
            >
            > Good luck with your quest for fire!
            >
            > Jim
            > Livermore CA
            > http://www.lafterhall.com/ccd_imaging.html
            >

            > --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, "Dennis" <recla@> wrote:
            > >
            > > A bit of a newbie at this, and have a limited budget, so the SBIG
            > > cameras and their like are a little out of my current price range.
            > > But do have about $700 to spend on a color camera or B&W with set
            > of
            > > filters. What suggestions do you have? I've tried to find some
            > > comparison reviews, but so far haven't found anything. It looks
            > like
            > > choices are Meade Deep Sky Imagers, the Orion Star Shooter, or
            the
            > ETIK
            > > cameras?
            > > Anyone have any guidance, or suggestions?
            > >
            > > It is appreciated - Anyone here going to Golden State Star Party
            on
            > the
            > > 4th of July?
            > >
            > > Thanks
            > >
            > > Dennis

          • john walton
            Message 5 of 16 , Mar 5, 2008
              I have a DSI II PRO in the workshop

              I have a Canon 40D on the scope.

              The ATIK cameras are cooled so you will get a better sensitivity, but a much smaller field of view.

              Message 6 of 16 , Mar 5, 2008
                Funny this subject just came up as last night I finally got my MaximDL
                upgrade and DSLR plug-in and got my D70 hooked up and working. Can't wait
                to give it a try with just a lense. I know the Nikons are not the best as
                astro images but I will give it a try before going the 40D route.

                Dennis those sure are some nice images with both of those DSLR's.

                Dean

                > You might want to give that D70 a good work out! :) I've been using a
                > DSLR for astro-imaging for about 3 years now. After using dedicated
                > CCD cameras for about 4 years before that, I was really surprised at
                > the results and the ease of processing with a DSLR.
                >
                > It's certainly not a substitute for a good, sensitive CCD camera but
                > I think it's defintely something to consider for your budget.
                >
                > Here are some images I've taken with DSLRs. They're not the best
                > images you'll find but I think they're OK given the amount of time I
                > invested in each:
                >
                > Modified Canon 20D:
                > http://www.californiastars.net/gallery/m008.m020_20d_fsq106.html
                > http://www.californiastars.net/gallery/m017_20d_sv80s.html
                > http://www.californiastars.net/gallery/m042_20d_toa130.html
                > http://www.californiastars.net/gallery/ic434_20d_toa130.html
                > http://www.californiastars.net/gallery/lunareclipse_20d_fsq106.html
                >
                > Unmodified Canon 40D:
                > http://www.californiastars.net/gallery/ic434_40d_fsq106.html
                > http://www.californiastars.net/gallery/m081.m082_40d_fsq106.html
                > http://www.californiastars.net/gallery/m045_40d_fsq106.html
                > http://www.californiastars.net/gallery/holmes_40d_200l_20071215.html
                >
                > I still use a dedicated astro CCD camera because you just can't beat
                > certain models for narrowband imaging and overall sensitivity (I
                > currently use an SBIG ST-10XME along with my Canon 40D). But I'll
                > forever continue to use a DSLR too because they're so simple and fun.
                >
                > By the way, I was thinking about going up to the Shingletown Star
                > Party but now I'm considering the GSSP instead. I'll let you know if
                > I decide to go (I'd be coming up from the LA area).
                >
                > Best,
                > Danny
                > http://www.californiastars.net/
                >

                > --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, "Dennis Recla" <recla@...> wrote:
                > >
                > > Thanks Danny
                > >

                > > Well, that is a consideration, as I do have a Nikon D70 Camera.
                > Although
                > > from wandering web pages and looking at photographs, most appear to
                > have
                > > been made with dedicated CCD cameras. I have used the D70, but
                > wanting to
                > > see what are my other options in a dedicated camera. Or perhaps..
                > >
                > > The better question I should have asked, would be.. Comparing a
                > DSLR vs a
                > > dedicated CCD Camera in the $500-$700 price range am I getting a
                > better
                > > imager and comparing all of them, which would be considered the
                > best camera?
                > >

                > > Dennis
                > >

                > > _____

              • Dean S
                Message 7 of 16 , Mar 5, 2008
                  I meant Danny those are nice images you linked.

                  > Funny this subject just came up as last night I finally got my MaximDL
                  > upgrade and DSLR plug-in and got my D70 hooked up and working. Can't wait
                  > to give it a try with just a lense. I know the Nikons are not the best as
                  > astro images but I will give it a try before going the 40D route.
                  >
                  > Dennis those sure are some nice images with both of those DSLR's.
                  >
                  > Dean

                • maxmsm
                  Message 8 of 16 , Mar 5, 2008
                    Super images!

                    Max
                    --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, "Dean S" <dean@...> wrote:

                    > Funny this subject just came up as last night I finally got my
                    MaximDL
                    > upgrade and DSLR plug-in and got my D70 hooked up and working.
                    Can't wait
                    > to give it a try with just a lense. I know the Nikons are not the
                    best as
                    > astro images but I will give it a try before going the 40D route.
                    >
                    > Dennis those sure are some nice images with both of those DSLR's.
                    >
                    > Dean

                  • Mark Eburne
                    Message 9 of 16 , Mar 5, 2008
                      Danny I am interested in your answer about the DSLR. I own a Pentax
                      k10d and I am having a heck of a time focusing and finding the right
                      exposure.

                      Last night I was trying to take shots of Saturn and has iso at 100
                      and 400, exposure time from 1/2 second all the way to 30 seconds. It
                      was mounted on a tracking fork mount looking through a c11. The
                      images were crappy and I tried processing but with no luck.

                      I thought Saturn should be easy, at least possible but not last
                      night. Any thoughts on this.

                      I do have a DSI II and I have got good images from that.

                      I am not trying to say don't buy a DSLR, just looking for ideas to
                      help me get on track with it.

                      Mark

                      --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, "dannysperry" <danny@...> wrote:

                      > Hi Dennis,
                      >
                      > Have you considered a DSLR instead? You can get a great, multi-
                      > purpose camera with a huge field of view for astrophotos.
                      >
                      > Just a thought.
                      >
                      > Best,
                      > Danny
                      > http://www.californiastars.net/
                      >

                      > --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, "Dennis" <recla@> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > A bit of a newbie at this, and have a limited budget, so the
                      SBIG
                      > > cameras and their like are a little out of my current price
                      range.
                      > > But do have about $700 to spend on a color camera or B&W with
                      set
                      > of
                      > > filters. What suggestions do you have? I've tried to find some
                      > > comparison reviews, but so far haven't found anything. It looks
                      > like
                      > > choices are Meade Deep Sky Imagers, the Orion Star Shooter, or
                      the
                      > ETIK
                      > > cameras?
                      > > Anyone have any guidance, or suggestions?
                      > >
                      > > It is appreciated - Anyone here going to Golden State Star Party
                      on
                      > the
                      > > 4th of July?
                      > >
                      > > Thanks
                      > >
                      > > Dennis

                    • dannysperry
                      Message 10 of 16 , Mar 5, 2008
                        Hi Mark,

                        In my experience, solar system objects can actually be kind of tricky
                        with a DSLR. The first moon images I tried with one appeared blurry
                        even though I knew focus was good. It turned out that my exposures
                        were too long and I needed to use the mirror lock up (MLU) function
                        in the camera. This eliminated vibrations caused by the mirror
                        slapping up. Webcams, DSIs, SBIG cameras, and most other astro
                        cameras don't have this problem because they don't have a moving
                        mirror mechanism like DSLRs do. They use an electronic shutter or a
                        mechanical shutter that spins quietly and without causing any
                        vibration.

                        This problem isn't noticed in deep sky images because the total
                        exposure length (typically several minutes) tends to hide any
                        vibration that occurs in the first second or so of the exposure. It's
                        common in planetary images because the vibration caused by the mirror
                        may exist throughout the entire length of the short exposure. So,
                        engage the MLU function in the camera. :)

                        The focal length of the C11 also makes poor seeing conditions
                        extremely evident, especially with 1/2 second exposures. They're long
                        enough to allow seeing to cause some blurring and short enough to not
                        let the seeing-induced blur average out. I would try much shorter
                        exposures, say 1/30th, 1/60th, etc. The image may appear very dim but
                        if you take several exposures, align and stack them (with something
                        like Registax), then adjust their brightness/contrast levels, you
                        should be able to bring out the object quite nicely. Just like with a
                        webcam or the DSI, it helps to take many exposures then combine them.
                        If focus is good and seeing isn't horrible, you should be able to get
                        a pretty decent image.

                        If my only goal was planetary imaging, a DSLR would not be my first
                        choice. But you can still get great images of the solar system from
                        them.

                        I hope that helps.

                        Best,
                        Danny
                        http://www.californiastars.net/

                        --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, "Mark Eburne" <meburne@...>
                        wrote:

                        > Danny I am interested in your answer about the DSLR. I own a Pentax
                        > k10d and I am having a heck of a time focusing and finding the
                        right
                        > exposure.
                        >
                        > Last night I was trying to take shots of Saturn and has iso at 100
                        > and 400, exposure time from 1/2 second all the way to 30 seconds.
                        It
                        > was mounted on a tracking fork mount looking through a c11. The
                        > images were crappy and I tried processing but with no luck.
                        >
                        > I thought Saturn should be easy, at least possible but not last
                        > night. Any thoughts on this.
                        >
                        > I do have a DSI II and I have got good images from that.
                        >
                        > I am not trying to say don't buy a DSLR, just looking for ideas to
                        > help me get on track with it.
                        >
                        > Mark
                        >
                        > --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, "dannysperry" <danny@> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > Hi Dennis,
                        > >
                        > > Have you considered a DSLR instead? You can get a great, multi-
                        > > purpose camera with a huge field of view for astrophotos.
                        > >
                        > > Just a thought.
                        > >
                        > > Best,
                        > > Danny
                        > > http://www.californiastars.net/
                        > >

                        > > --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, "Dennis" <recla@> wrote:
                        > > >
                        > > > A bit of a newbie at this, and have a limited budget, so the
                        > SBIG
                        > > > cameras and their like are a little out of my current price
                        > range.
                        > > > But do have about $700 to spend on a color camera or B&W with
                        > set
                        > > of
                        > > > filters. What suggestions do you have? I've tried to find
                        some
                        > > > comparison reviews, but so far haven't found anything. It
                        looks
                        > > like
                        > > > choices are Meade Deep Sky Imagers, the Orion Star Shooter, or
                        > the
                        > > ETIK
                        > > > cameras?
                        > > > Anyone have any guidance, or suggestions?
                        > > >
                        > > > It is appreciated - Anyone here going to Golden State Star
                        Party
                        > on
                        > > the
                        > > > 4th of July?
                        > > >
                        > > > Thanks
                        > > >
                        > > > Dennis

                      • Mark Eburne
                        Message 11 of 16 , Mar 6, 2008
                          Danny thanks very much for your reply.

                          I am looking forward to tying your guideness out tonight. It make
                          perfect sence.

                          Thanks a lot.

                        • Jim Ferreira
                          Message 12 of 16 , Mar 7, 2008
                            Dennis, amazing images. Some of the best I have seen with a DSLR and
                            modest aperture scopes. Beautiful. Uh, the FSQ with a guidescope
                            had to be quite a load on the poor GM8. Makes the images all the
                            more impressive.

                            Great stuff!
                            Jim
                            Livermore CA