Re: NGC1977 - Mark (new upload)

  • Eddy
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 31, 2008
      --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, "Mark de Regt" <deregt@...> wrote:

      > Eddy,
      >
      > Quite a bit better. A Gaussian blur of the color layer can really help
      > reduce the color noise which shows through; you've done well.
      >
      > The IDAS filter, to me, isn't worth the loss of signal. I found
      that I had
      > to do twice the exposure time to get the same amount of signal; it's
      easier
      > and quicker to process out the gradients than it is to get twice as much
      > exposure time. YMMV, but you're not going to get detailed, noise-free
      > pictures without a great deal of clean signal.
      >
      > Nice work.
      >
      > --Mark

      Thank you, Mark.

      I will have to try it once without the IDAS LPS, but I am so used to
      it that am a bit scared wasting a nights work not using it and having
      to deal with a severe gradient due to LP.
      I have 4 street lights around my house. I do cut hem once in a while
      and reconnect them when my session is over. I know it is not legal
      doing so, but I live in a "remote" area traffic wise. Almost no cars
      are passing here. So it is not a big deal. But the other street lights
      are still having a nefast effect on imaging.

      But I guess, with practice I will learn to deal with light pollution
      gradients. If not, I will have to convert completely to narrowband
      imaging.

      Cheers,
      Eddy
    • Dale
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 31, 2008
        Much better! I was going to ask you if you were using a light
        pollution filter,but Mark beat me to it. He's absolutly right about
        not needing it. I image in a light polluted area and used a filter at
        first.Not any more. Take lots and lots of subframes to combine.
        Consider 4 to 10 hrs of luminence and then a couple hrs each of RGB
        binned. Looks like your doing just fine on processing. Have fun.
        Dale

        > Hi,
        >
        > Thanks for your positive critique. I've been busy re-processing the
        > image and I took a completely different approach.
        >
        > I know that my imaging site is not the best one due to the light
        > pollution even using a IDAS LPS filter. This filters helps a lot,
        but
        > still.
        >
        > I applied the GradentXTerminator to each channel and than once again
        > on the complete LRGB. There seems to be an improvement. I also
        blurred
        > the RGB image quite a lot before adding it to the luminance. I do
        see
        > an improvement, but I have to cut down on the stretching. Otherwise
        > that noise is coming back. The only thing that I could do in order
        > increase a bit more detail in the nebula was selecting the nebula
        with
        > the polygon lasso tool, expanding and feathering it. Than I applied
        > some curves and levels to it.
        >
        > Personally I find there is an improvement, but please keep the
        > critique coming. I learned a lot in redoing the image and am
        starting
        > to get a better feel for what is happening in Photoshop. I still
        have
        > to learn a lot...
        >
        > Here's the new link: http://tinyurl.com/2pwsjy
        >
        > Cheers,
        > Eddy

      • Eddy
        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 1, 2008
          --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, "Dale" <nraider217@...> wrote:

          > Much better! I was going to ask you if you were using a light
          > pollution filter,but Mark beat me to it. He's absolutly right about
          > not needing it. I image in a light polluted area and used a filter at
          > first.Not any more. Take lots and lots of subframes to combine.
          > Consider 4 to 10 hrs of luminence and then a couple hrs each of RGB
          > binned. Looks like your doing just fine on processing. Have fun.
          > Dale

          Thanks Dale.

          I will try this. I hope the weather remains fine today, so can get out
          again...

          Eddy