Re: ngc1333 -- Cluster in Perseus

  • marcjousset
    Message 1 of 18 , Jan 3, 2008
      hello Mike,

      I think that the streaking feature in your image is due to a
      gradient removal tool. Do you used a such tool ?

      Marc

      --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, Michael Sherick
      <michaelsherick@...> wrote:

      > Hello Folks,
      >
      > A couple of images to share with you.
      >
      > One is of a reflection nebula, ngc1333 imaged in LRGB sequence
      with the TMB152 and STL6303. As you may notice, the image has some
      diagonal streaking, which I believe may be some internal reflection
      in the scope or adapter. In any case, I hope you find the active
      core of this image interesting.

      > http://www.imagingtheheavens.com/ngc1333-LRGB-2.jpg
      >
      > The second image was taken this evening (10 frame panorama) -- a
      sunset from our observation deck at the Sagrada Observatory looking
      out over Las Cruces, New Mexico. I never get tired of the beautiful
      sunrises and sunsets here in New Mexico.

      > http://www.imagingtheheavens.com/Las_Cruces/Sagrada-1-2-08.jpg
      >
      > Regards,
      > Mike Sherick
      > JMSM Observatory
      > www.imagingtheheavens.com

    • salgiambruno
      Message 2 of 18 , Jan 4, 2008
        Mike,

        I'm jealous. Can I come live with you in New Mexico?
      • Michael Sherick
        Message 3 of 18 , Jan 7, 2008
          Hello Folks,

          Here is the outcome of a short imaging session done this morning of M13, taken remotely from our JMSM Observatory. This was imaged in LRGB with the TMB152 and STL6303.

          http://www.imagingtheheavens.com/Clus/M13-LRGB-1-7-08.jpg

          I'm looking forward to working more on this object in the near future.

          Regards,
          Mike Sherick
          JMSM Observatory
          www.imagingtheheavens.com

        • Neil Fleming
          Message 4 of 18 , Jan 7, 2008
            Wow. I didn't think that was even possible at this
            time of year!

            ...Neil

            --- Michael Sherick <michaelsherick@...> wrote:

            > Hello Folks,
            >
            > Here is the outcome of a short imaging session
            > done this morning of M13, taken remotely from our
            > JMSM Observatory. This was imaged in LRGB with the
            > TMB152 and STL6303.

            http://www.imagingtheheavens.com/Clus/M13-LRGB-1-7-08.jpg

            > I'm looking forward to working more on this object
            > in the near future.
            >
            > Regards,
            > Mike Sherick
            > JMSM Observatory
            > www.imagingtheheavens.com

            > removed]

            www.flemingastrophotography.com
            Also check out the astro_narrowband Yahoo group!
          • Michael Sherick
            Message 5 of 18 , Jan 7, 2008
              Hi Neil. It is if you start imaging at 5am in the morning :-)

              Neil Fleming <neilfleming@...> wrote:
              Wow. I didn't think that was even possible at this
              time of year!

              ...Neil

              --- Michael Sherick <michaelsherick@...> wrote:

              > Hello Folks,
              >
              > Here is the outcome of a short imaging session
              > done this morning of M13, taken remotely from our
              > JMSM Observatory. This was imaged in LRGB with the
              > TMB152 and STL6303.

              http://www.imagingtheheavens.com/Clus/M13-LRGB-1-7-08.jpg

              > I'm looking forward to working more on this object
              > in the near future.
              >
              > Regards,
              > Mike Sherick
              > JMSM Observatory
              > www.imagingtheheavens.com

              > removed]

              www.flemingastrophotography.com
              Also check out the astro_narrowband Yahoo group!

            • Mark de Regt
              Message 6 of 18 , Jan 7, 2008
                Mike,

                I enjoy your pictures, and am so glad you're getting good use out of your
                remarkable setup.

                In the spirit of the group, I hope you don't mind if I make some suggestions
                for making the image (and, by extension, other images) even better.

                First, I do understand that we all have different goals in mind for this
                hobby, so if I'm going overboard for your tastes, just ignore what I say.
                <g>

                Anyway, a quick look at your picture showed me some things worth examining.
                So I copied your picture into Photoshop, and pushed the levels way up. That
                showed a mottled background, with brightly-colored patches throughout. I've
                never seen something like this, so I can't guess what it is; I doubt it's
                light-pollution gradients. Perhaps the short exposure times (I'm guessing
                short from your description) are causing a lot of noise in your color
                images. Do you have any ideas?

                Also, there are quite a few green and blue spots in the image, perhaps from
                using old darks, or perhaps flipping raw images before doing a dark subtract
                (this may also explain the mottling)? If the spots were in all colors, I
                would suspect that perhaps you weren't using a good statistical combine to
                eliminate cosmic ray hits and the like, and/or not dithering to lessen the
                effects of flaws in the chip.

                Finally, processing globular clusters is an art in itself. Some special
                techniques can help reduce or eliminate the appearance of a burned-out core.
                Using this on the .jpg, I can get some detail out of the core, but using
                them on the 16-bit .psd data will help much more. Some people apply "DDP"
                (which stands for Digital Development Processing), which is quite effective,
                to the combined luminance layer, after deconvolution but before importing it
                into Photoshop; I prefer the far-more-tedious, but more-easily-controlled,
                method of successive, careful, application of curves and levels, as well as
                "gamma," or moving the middle slider in Photoshop, until you've managed to
                enhance the dimmer sections without burning out the brighter ones. Not
                meaning to grandstand, but you can see the effects of that on my M13, taken
                from my home with my RCX400 (there's also a brief description of the image
                acquisition and processing steps I took for that image).

                Again, different people have different goals. I am cursed with too much
                perfectionist tendencies, and will acquire many, many hours of exposures,
                toss a lot of them while processing, and then spend a bunch of hours in the
                processing job. This isn't for everyone, but these are some of the
                techniques I use for the task.

                I hope this helps; it isn't meant as criticism at all.

                --Mark

                http://www.de-regt.com/Astronomy

              • Jim Lafferty
                Message 7 of 18 , Jan 7, 2008
                  Thanks for those tips, Mark. I sure learned a few things and its not even my image! Keep em coming. This is what groups like this are all about!
                  Jim
                  Jim Lafferty

                  jrlafferty@...
                  shogun000@...
                  www.scopetrader.com/shogun

                  http://www.de- <http://www.de-regt.com/Astronomy> regt.com/Astronomy

                • star_geezer
                  Message 8 of 18 , Jan 8, 2008
                    Interesting fairly wide field image. Unless my old eyes are deceiving
                    me, I counted 8 other galaxies in this image, most of them ellipticals.