Re: [ccd-newastro] focusing dslr

  • Bill Logan
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 31, 2007
      Digital cameras, unlike film cameras must be fine focused on the pixel
      level. You can get a rough focus through the viewfinder, but final focusing
      must be done by looking at FWHM (Full-Width, Half Maximum) numbers. You can
      use an inexpensive digital capture and processing program such as Stark-Labs
      Nebulosity. Nebulosity has a fine focus routine that allows you to fine
      focus using FWHM.

      Clear skies,

      Bill Logan
      Robert Burnham Jr. Memorial Observatory

      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 31, 2007
        Yup,

        www.dslrfocus.com? for DSLRFOCUS

        and www.mlunsold.com for ImagesPlus

        Is there a better way to focus the canon xti than through the view
        finder, any way to send image to computer possibly?

      • Murray Hammick
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 1, 2008
          You can also use a separate focusing aid such as the Stilleto Mk IV which can sometimes be found second-hand on Astromart or similar sites for reasonable prices. A new one is in the order of about $250 (I think).

          Murray

          Bill Logan <wb9sat@...> wrote: Digital cameras, unlike film cameras must be fine focused on the pixel
          level. You can get a rough focus through the viewfinder, but final focusing
          must be done by looking at FWHM (Full-Width, Half Maximum) numbers. You can
          use an inexpensive digital capture and processing program such as Stark-Labs
          Nebulosity. Nebulosity has a fine focus routine that allows you to fine
          focus using FWHM.

          Clear skies,

          Bill Logan
          Robert Burnham Jr. Memorial Observatory

          > Is there a better way to focus the canon xti than through the view
          > finder, any way to send image to computer possibly?
          >

          > Yahoo! Groups Links
          >

          > --
          > 12/31/2007 12:20 PM

        • Yahoo - Wodaski
          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 1, 2008
            I tried one of these a few years ago, and I wasn't very happy with it
            for digital photography. Given that the cost of software is roughly
            similar, and that software gives you tons of other options and features
            as well, I would recommend going the software route. I've used MaxIm DL
            for my DSLR work, and while it's considerably more than $250, it does
            work extremely well. <G>

            I know a number of DSLR images who use Images Plus and are very happy
            with that, so that's another option.

            The Stilleto got its start in film, where digital acquisition is not
            available, and I think it's primary value remains in that area. Even
            there, it requires extremely careful physical manipulation to work well.
            Film has a larger effective "pixel size" than CCD; the small pixels in
            DSLRs makes this even more critically important. I found it virtually
            impossible to maintain consistency that was adequate to the requirements
            of CCD sensors in astro cameras (figure 7-9 micron pixels); DSLRs often
            have even smaller pixels, making focus that much more critical. IMO,
            software image acquisition is the way to go.

            Ron Wodaski

            Murray Hammick wrote:
            > You can also use a separate focusing aid such as the Stilleto Mk IV which can sometimes be found second-hand on Astromart or similar sites for reasonable prices. A new one is in the order of about $250 (I think).
            >
            > Murray
            >

            > Bill Logan <wb9sat@...> wrote: Digital cameras, unlike film cameras must be fine focused on the pixel
            > level. You can get a rough focus through the viewfinder, but final focusing
            > must be done by looking at FWHM (Full-Width, Half Maximum) numbers. You can
            > use an inexpensive digital capture and processing program such as Stark-Labs
            > Nebulosity. Nebulosity has a fine focus routine that allows you to fine
            > focus using FWHM.
            >
            > Clear skies,
            >
            > Bill Logan
            > Robert Burnham Jr. Memorial Observatory

          • Bill Logan
            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 1, 2008
              Ron et al,

              I must agree that MaxImDL is probably the premier software for imaging, but
              for most amateurs starting out in DSLR imaging, is a bit on the expensive
              side. Currently, I use CCDSoft for capturing that came with my ST-7XMED and
              AIP4WIN2.0 for processing. For many years however, I used Stark-Labs
              Nebulosity for capture and processing software with my Canon EOS Rebel XT
              (350D). I highly recommend this software for beginners for several reasons.
              It's inexpensive ($45) along with a free download to try it
              (www.stark-labs.com) and it's very simple to use. The focus and fine focus
              features are excellent for any DSLR or CCD camera. Not only does it give
              one a pixel reading of a selected star, but there's an FWHM graphical
              display. Nebulosity supports all Canon DIGIC II processors which is the
              Rebel XTi (400D), but will need a Shoestring shutter control adapter for
              exposures over 30 seconds. In my Nebulosity group, link below, one will
              find a nice tutorial specifically written for Canon-Nebulosity users. I
              highly recommend this software because of the price and ease of use until
              they have gained enough experience imaging to upgrade to the ultimate
              MaxImDL or any other high end capture and processing program

              Clear skies,

              Bill Logan
              Robert Burnham Jr. Memorial Observatory
              Eagar, Arizona

              >I tried one of these a few years ago, and I wasn't very happy with it
              > for digital photography. Given that the cost of software is roughly
              > similar, and that software gives you tons of other options and features
              > as well, I would recommend going the software route. I've used MaxIm DL
              > for my DSLR work, and while it's considerably more than $250, it does
              > work extremely well. <G>
              >
              > I know a number of DSLR images who use Images Plus and are very happy
              > with that, so that's another option.
              >
              > The Stilleto got its start in film, where digital acquisition is not
              > available, and I think it's primary value remains in that area. Even
              > there, it requires extremely careful physical manipulation to work well.
              > Film has a larger effective "pixel size" than CCD; the small pixels in
              > DSLRs makes this even more critically important. I found it virtually
              > impossible to maintain consistency that was adequate to the requirements
              > of CCD sensors in astro cameras (figure 7-9 micron pixels); DSLRs often
              > have even smaller pixels, making focus that much more critical. IMO,
              > software image acquisition is the way to go.
              >
              > Ron Wodaski
              >
              > Murray Hammick wrote:
              >> You can also use a separate focusing aid such as the Stilleto Mk IV which
              >> can sometimes be found second-hand on Astromart or similar sites for
              >> reasonable prices. A new one is in the order of about $250 (I think).
              >>
              >> Murray
              >>

              >> Bill Logan <wb9sat@...> wrote:
              >> Digital cameras, unlike film cameras must be fine focused on the pixel
              >> level. You can get a rough focus through the viewfinder, but final
              >> focusing
              >> must be done by looking at FWHM (Full-Width, Half Maximum) numbers. You
              >> can
              >> use an inexpensive digital capture and processing program such as
              >> Stark-Labs
              >> Nebulosity. Nebulosity has a fine focus routine that allows you to fine
              >> focus using FWHM.
              >>
              >> Clear skies,
              >>
              >> Bill Logan
              >> Robert Burnham Jr. Memorial Observatory

            • Yahoo - Wodaski
              Message 6 of 10 , Jan 1, 2008
                Thanks. Of course I can only recommend what I've used, so I appreciate
                you stepping in with details on this software. Thanks again!

                Ron Wodaski

                Bill Logan wrote:
                > Ron et al,
                >
                > I must agree that MaxImDL is probably the premier software for imaging, but
                > for most amateurs starting out in DSLR imaging, is a bit on the expensive
                > side. Currently, I use CCDSoft for capturing that came with my ST-7XMED and
                > AIP4WIN2.0 for processing. For many years however, I used Stark-Labs
                > Nebulosity for capture and processing software with my Canon EOS Rebel XT
                > (350D). I highly recommend this software for beginners for several reasons.
                > It's inexpensive ($45) along with a free download to try it
                > (www.stark-labs.com) and it's very simple to use. The focus and fine focus
                > features are excellent for any DSLR or CCD camera. Not only does it give
                > one a pixel reading of a selected star, but there's an FWHM graphical
                > display. Nebulosity supports all Canon DIGIC II processors which is the
                > Rebel XTi (400D), but will need a Shoestring shutter control adapter for
                > exposures over 30 seconds. In my Nebulosity group, link below, one will
                > find a nice tutorial specifically written for Canon-Nebulosity users. I
                > highly recommend this software because of the price and ease of use until
                > they have gained enough experience imaging to upgrade to the ultimate
                > MaxImDL or any other high end capture and processing program
                >
                > Clear skies,
                >
                > Bill Logan
                > Robert Burnham Jr. Memorial Observatory
                > Eagar, Arizona

              • tim hart

                  > Is there a better way to focus the canon xti than through the view
                  > finder, any way to send image to computer possibly?
                  >

                  > Yahoo! Groups Links
                  >

                  > --
                  > 12/31/2007 12:20 PM

                • tim hart

                    > Is there a better way to focus the canon xti than through the view
                    > finder, any way to send image to computer possibly?
                    >

                    > Yahoo! Groups Links
                    >

                    > --
                    > 12/31/2007 12:20 PM

                  • tim hart
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jan 5, 2008
                      Thanks for the great information Ron, Murry and Bill.