How to remotely reboot a PC

  • Bob Franke
    Message 1 of 16 , Sep 29, 2007
      Hello Everyone,

      I am setting up a new PC to run my dome. The old machine could be set
      to restart after a power disconnect. This worked with both a power
      failure and a clean Windows shutdown. To reboot after a clean
      shutdown, all I had to do was cut the power to the dome and then
      reconnect it.

      The new PC will only reboot with an actual power failure, giving a
      dirty exit from windows. Is there a problem with exiting all programs
      and then disconnecting the power while windows is still running?

      All replies are greatly appreciated,
      Bob Franke
      http://bf-astro.com/
    • Wodaski - Yahoo
      Message 2 of 16 , Sep 29, 2007
        It depends. Most of the time, this will work fine. However, if you power
        down while Windows is writing to the disk, you could corrupt data on the
        disk. Often, this corruption will not be fatal. Occasionally, though, it
        will create a serious problem leading to a need to reinstall Windows, or
        even sometimes reformatting the hard disk and starting from scratch.

        It does work 99.9% of the time, in my experience. But when it fails, it
        really fails. :(

        Can you run Ethernet to the observatory, or use wireless? That would allow
        remote shutdown in a controlled fashion. I highly recommend this
        configuration.

        Ron W

        I am setting up a new PC to run my dome. The old machine could be set
        to restart after a power disconnect. This worked with both a power
        failure and a clean Windows shutdown. To reboot after a clean
        shutdown, all I had to do was cut the power to the dome and then
        reconnect it.

        The new PC will only reboot with an actual power failure, giving a
        dirty exit from windows. Is there a problem with exiting all programs
        and then disconnecting the power while windows is still running?

        All replies are greatly appreciated,
        Bob Franke
        http://bf-astro.com/

        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • Mike Dodd
        Message 3 of 16 , Sep 29, 2007
          Bob Franke wrote:
          The new PC will only reboot with an actual power failure, giving a
          > dirty exit from windows. Is there a problem with exiting all programs
          > and then disconnecting the power while windows is still running?
          that's definitely not a good idea. Are you controlling the computer
          remotely (i.e., using Remote Desktop)? If so, why not shut down the
          observatory computer remotely? try a right-click on the clock in the
          system tray, then click Task Manager on the pop-up menu. When Task
          Manager opens, look on its menu bar for a Shutdown item, and click that.
          In the Shutdown menu, choose Turn Off, and Windows will shut down
          properly and turn off the computer. Are you saying that, if you then
          shut off the AC power, the computer will not start up when power is
          applied? That sounds strange. Have you checked the BIOS settings? I
          thought most computers today had a setting to allow them to boot after a
          power failure, even if the system was shut down from the operating
          system, and power removed externally. I've had several computers in my
          observatory, and they all work like this.

          --- Mike
          --

          Mike Dodd
          Montpelier, VA USA
          Message 4 of 16 , Oct 1, 2007
            Hi Bob,
            Maybe I can help. I can't tell from your description exactly how
            your computer works, but I will guess. There are possibly several
            other options. One that I used on my previous computer was a Boot on
            time, where I could program either specific dates and times or a
            daily time to boot the computer. I had mine set to boot every day at
            5 PM, so I could either begin my evenings work, leave it running and
            do nothing, or shut it down.
            I have done the hard shutdown as you described, but it is very hard
            on the hardware and can cause serious problems as Ron W. pointed
            out. Another option is to use power on IP signal. There are special
            IP commands (basically a special ping) that you can set up your
            computer to monitor. When you send this signal (basically a special
            preprogrammed URL call), the computer will awaken.
            Good luck,
            Rick

            --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, "Bob Franke" <bfranke@...>

          • jmize@svic.net
            Message 5 of 16 , Oct 1, 2007
              Rick, what would the 'Restart' DOS command be so it could be issued from Run cmd line? Would it be a subparameter of shutdown?
              ie: /shutdown -restart ...joe :)

              "May You Go Among The Imperishable Stars"

              Joe Mize
              StarFields Observatory http://www.cav-sfo.com/
              Chiefland, FL 29:24'33.4"N 82:51'37.7"W

              wrote:

              > Hello Everyone,
              >
              > I am setting up a new PC to run my dome. The old machine could be
              set
              > to restart after a power disconnect. This worked with both a
              power
              > failure and a clean Windows shutdown. To reboot after a clean
              > shutdown, all I had to do was cut the power to the dome and then
              > reconnect it.
              >
              > The new PC will only reboot with an actual power failure, giving a
              > dirty exit from windows. Is there a problem with exiting all
              programs
              > and then disconnecting the power while windows is still running?
              >
              > All replies are greatly appreciated,
              > Bob Franke
              > http://bf-astro.com/

              Yahoo! Groups Links
            • Bob Franke
              Message 6 of 16 , Oct 2, 2007
                Thanks Everyone,

                I have it working now. I set the BIOS to boot after a power failure
                and it works. I thought I had this set already, but I must have
                exited without saving. I am running wireless, so this is the only
                way I can remotely boot. I do a clean shut down and disconnect the
                power. The PC then boots when the power is reconnected.

                I may change to using the timer, like Rick.

                Thanks again,
                -bob

                --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, "Bob Franke" <bfranke@...> wrote:

                > Hello Everyone,
                >
                > I am setting up a new PC to run my dome. The old machine could be
                set
                > to restart after a power disconnect. This worked with both a power
                > failure and a clean Windows shutdown. To reboot after a clean
                > shutdown, all I had to do was cut the power to the dome and then
                > reconnect it.
                >
                > The new PC will only reboot with an actual power failure, giving a
                > dirty exit from windows. Is there a problem with exiting all
                programs
                > and then disconnecting the power while windows is still running?
                >
                > All replies are greatly appreciated,
                > Bob Franke
                > http://bf-astro.com/

              • Frank S Barnes III
                Message 7 of 16 , Oct 2, 2007
                  Hi Bob,

                  The shutdown command and its parameters are described her

                  http://technet2.microsoft.com/windowsserver2008/en/library/c432f
                  5cf-c5aa-4665-83af-0ec52c87112e1033.mspx?mfr=true

                  Basically you would issue " shutdown /r " (no quotes) to
                  restart the computer. I like to add the /f parameter to force all the
                  running processes off, otherwise, I have seen even this command hang
                  and not work. HTH ......

                • jmize@svic.net

                    The shutdown command and its parameters are described her

                    http://technet2.microsoft.com/windowsserver2008/en/library/c432f
                    5cf-c5aa-4665-83af-0ec52c87112e1033.mspx?mfr=true

                    Basically you would issue " shutdown /r " (no quotes) to
                    restart the computer. I like to add the /f parameter to force all the
                    running processes off, otherwise, I have seen even this command hang
                    and not work. HTH ......

                    >On 2 Oct 2007 13:47:08 -0000, ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com wrote:

                    >3b. Re: How to remotely reboot a PC
                    > Posted by: "jmize@..." jmize@... sfojmize
                    > Date: Mon Oct 1, 2007 5:30 pm ((PDT))
                    >
                    >Rick, what would the 'Restart' DOS command be so it could be issued from Run cmd line? Would it be a subparameter of shutdown?
                    >ie: /shutdown -restart ...joe :)
                    >

                    >"May You Go Among The Imperishable Stars"
                    >
                    >Joe Mize
                    >StarFields Observatory http://www.cav-sfo.com/
                    >Chiefland, FL 29:24'33.4"N 82:51'37.7"W

                    Yahoo! Groups Links
                  • Rick Wiggins
                    Message 9 of 16 , Oct 2, 2007
                      Hi Joe,
                      I am not sure I know what you are asking. The "Boot on Time" is in
                      the BIOS. The computer is not booted when this command gets
                      executed. It will boot the computer and get you to the log-on
                      screen. At that point, you can access the computer using PCAnywhere
                      or similar program. The other method I suggested is executed by a
                      program run at the user terminal/computer. The program generates an
                      IP sequence that sends a special URL that basically sends a special
                      Ping message to the observatory computer's ethernet card. This allso
                      causes the observatory computer to boot to the log-on screen. The
                      observatory computer must have this capability for this to work.
                      I don't think DOS has anything to do with these methods. I hope I
                      did answer your question.
                      Thanks, Rick

                      --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, "jmize@..." <jmize@...> wrote:

                      > Rick, what would the 'Restart' DOS command be so it could be
                      issued from Run cmd line? Would it be a subparameter of shutdown?
                      > ie: /shutdown -restart ...joe :)
                      >

                      > "May You Go Among The Imperishable Stars"
                      >
                      > Joe Mize
                      > StarFields Observatory http://www.cav-sfo.com/
                      > Chiefland, FL 29:24'33.4"N 82:51'37.7"W

                    • Rick Wiggins
                      Message 10 of 16 , Oct 2, 2007
                        Hi Bob,
                        Glad to hear it is working. I also now use the "Boot on Power"
                        function in BIOS. I lke this better than the timer for manually
                        initiated automated imaging sessions. The "Boot on Time" function
                        would be nice for fully automated imaging.
                        Thanks, Rick

                        wrote:

                        > Thanks Everyone,
                        >
                        > I have it working now. I set the BIOS to boot after a power
                        failure
                        > and it works. I thought I had this set already, but I must have
                        > exited without saving. I am running wireless, so this is the only
                        > way I can remotely boot. I do a clean shut down and disconnect
                        the
                        > power. The PC then boots when the power is reconnected.
                        >
                        > I may change to using the timer, like Rick.
                        >
                        > Thanks again,
                        > -bob
                        >

                        > --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, "Bob Franke" <bfranke@> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > Hello Everyone,
                        > >
                        > > I am setting up a new PC to run my dome. The old machine could
                        be
                        > set
                        > > to restart after a power disconnect. This worked with both a
                        power
                        > > failure and a clean Windows shutdown. To reboot after a clean
                        > > shutdown, all I had to do was cut the power to the dome and then
                        > > reconnect it.
                        > >
                        > > The new PC will only reboot with an actual power failure, giving
                        > > dirty exit from windows. Is there a problem with exiting all
                        > programs
                        > > and then disconnecting the power while windows is still
                        running?

                        > > All replies are greatly appreciated,
                        > > Bob Franke
                        > > http://bf-astro.com/

                      • Mike Ford
                        Message 11 of 16 , Oct 2, 2007
                          After reading these entries I just wanted to also mention the FREE
                          software program VNC, which works just like PCAnywhere.

                          Mike

                        • Rick Wiggins
                          Message 12 of 16 , Oct 2, 2007
                            Hi Frank,
                            I see how this command would shutdown the computer and restart it up
                            to 600 secs after shutdown, but I dont see how it could be used to
                            restart days later upon the desire of a remote operator. Also, I am
                            guessing that this command is used with Remote Desktop and if so,
                            may not have an equal in other programs. Am I missing something here?
                            Thanks, Rick

                            --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, "Frank S Barnes III"
                            <SBarnes@...> wrote:

                            > Hi Bob,
                            >
                            > The shutdown command and its parameters are described her

                            http://technet2.microsoft.com/windowsserver2008/en/library/c4
                            32f
                            > 5cf-c5aa-4665-83af-0ec52c87112e1033.mspx?mfr=true
                            >
                            > Basically you would issue " shutdown /r " (no quotes) to
                            > restart the computer. I like to add the /f parameter to force all
                            the
                            > running processes off, otherwise, I have seen even this command
                            hang
                            > and not work. HTH ......
                            >

                            > >On 2 Oct 2007 13:47:08 -0000, ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com wrote:

                            ____

                            > >3b. Re: How to remotely reboot a PC
                            > > Posted by: "jmize@..." jmize@... sfojmize
                            > > Date: Mon Oct 1, 2007 5:30 pm ((PDT))
                            > >
                            > >Rick, what would the 'Restart' DOS command be so it could be
                            issued from Run cmd line? Would it be a subparameter of shutdown?
                            > >ie: /shutdown -restart ...joe :)
                            > >

                            > >"May You Go Among The Imperishable Stars"
                            > >
                            > >Joe Mize
                            > >StarFields Observatory http://www.cav-sfo.com/
                            > >Chiefland, FL 29:24'33.4"N 82:51'37.7"W

                          • Frank S Barnes III
                            Message 13 of 16 , Oct 3, 2007
                              Hi Rick,

                              I don't think you are missing anything. I would use this
                              command more in an interactive mode to shutdown and reboot the system.
                              I always leave my observatory computers up 24x7 so rebooting, if
                              required, is done by using Remote Desktop, or UltraVNC. If I was going
                              to take my systems down for an extended period of time, then I would
                              use one of two options:

                              1. Simply have the BIOS set to boot when the system senses
                              power and turn on the power by switching the appropriate Baytech plug,
                              or

                              2. Issue a "Wake on Lan" command to the computer.

                              I have my system here at home optioned to Wake on Lan and can
                              boot it by running the program to generate the "magic packet". At my
                              Sierra Remote site, if the computer happens to hang and I can't access
                              it, I simply power it off and back on through my Baytech and all is
                              back to normal.

                              >On 3 Oct 2007 13:10:36 -0000, ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com wrote:

                              >1e. Re: How to remotely reboot a PC
                              > Posted by: "Rick Wiggins" rickwiggins@... meunage
                              > Date: Tue Oct 2, 2007 8:43 am ((PDT))
                              >
                              >Hi Frank,
                              >I see how this command would shutdown the computer and restart it up
                              >to 600 secs after shutdown, but I dont see how it could be used to
                              >restart days later upon the desire of a remote operator. Also, I am
                              >guessing that this command is used with Remote Desktop and if so,
                              >may not have an equal in other programs. Am I missing something here?
                              >Thanks, Rick
                              >
                              >--- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, "Frank S Barnes III"
                              ><SBarnes@...> wrote:
                              >>
                              >> Hi Bob,
                              >>
                              >> The shutdown command and its parameters are described her
                              >>

                              > http://technet2.microsoft.com/windowsserver2008/en/library/c4
                              >32f
                              >> 5cf-c5aa-4665-83af-0ec52c87112e1033.mspx?mfr=true
                              >>
                              >> Basically you would issue " shutdown /r " (no quotes) to
                              >> restart the computer. I like to add the /f parameter to force all
                              >the
                              >> running processes off, otherwise, I have seen even this command
                              >hang
                              >> and not work. HTH ......
                            • deepskyja
                              Message 14 of 16 , Oct 3, 2007
                                Hi,

                                As read in this post, the better way to reboot and shutdown the
                                computer is to use a remote software.
                                On my observatory I use the Remote Computer tools embeded in
                                Windows XP. By this way I have a total control of my computer
                                observatory remotely.

                                ---------------------------------

                                Jacques A.
                                France, Normandie

                                Deep Sky Jam Observatory
                                49° 36' 43" N
                                00° 20' 44" W
                                LX200 GPS 14"

                                http://www.deepskyjam.com

                                -----------------------------------

                                --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, "Bob Franke" <bfranke@...> wrote:

                                > Hello Everyone,
                                >
                                > I am setting up a new PC to run my dome. The old machine could be
                                set
                                > to restart after a power disconnect. This worked with both a power
                                > failure and a clean Windows shutdown. To reboot after a clean
                                > shutdown, all I had to do was cut the power to the dome and then
                                > reconnect it.
                                >
                                > The new PC will only reboot with an actual power failure, giving a
                                > dirty exit from windows. Is there a problem with exiting all
                                programs
                                > and then disconnecting the power while windows is still running?
                                >
                                > All replies are greatly appreciated,
                                > Bob Franke
                                > http://bf-astro.com/

                              • Steve Lewis
                                Message 15 of 16 , Oct 3, 2007
                                  Hi,

                                  There actually is a way to start a computer remotely. It's through
                                  the network card if your bios supports it. You would have to set it
                                  up and when you send a command to it's IP address it will boot. Here
                                  is one example http://www.depicus.com/wake-on-lan/. I've heard of
                                  others but have never used them.

                                  I don't recommend it because it could be a security risk.

                                  Steve

                                  --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, "Rick Wiggins" <rickwiggins@...>
                                  wrote:

                                  > Hi Frank,
                                  > I see how this command would shutdown the computer and restart it
                                  up
                                  > to 600 secs after shutdown, but I dont see how it could be used to
                                  > restart days later upon the desire of a remote operator. Also, I am
                                  > guessing that this command is used with Remote Desktop and if so,
                                  > may not have an equal in other programs. Am I missing something
                                  here?
                                  > Thanks, Rick
                                  >
                                  > --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, "Frank S Barnes III"
                                  > <SBarnes@> wrote:
                                  > >
                                  > > Hi Bob,
                                  > >
                                  > > The shutdown command and its parameters are described her
                                  > >

                                  > http://technet2.microsoft.com/windowsserver2008/en/library/c4
                                  > 32f
                                  > > 5cf-c5aa-4665-83af-0ec52c87112e1033.mspx?mfr=true
                                  > >
                                  > > Basically you would issue " shutdown /r " (no quotes) to
                                  > > restart the computer. I like to add the /f parameter to force all
                                  > the
                                  > > running processes off, otherwise, I have seen even this command
                                  > hang
                                  > > and not work. HTH ......
                                  > >

                                  > > >On 2 Oct 2007 13:47:08 -0000, ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com wrote:

                                  > ____
                                  > > >
                                  > > >3b. Re: How to remotely reboot a PC
                                  > > > Posted by: "jmize@" jmize@ sfojmize
                                  > > > Date: Mon Oct 1, 2007 5:30 pm ((PDT))
                                  > > >
                                  > > >Rick, what would the 'Restart' DOS command be so it could be
                                  > issued from Run cmd line? Would it be a subparameter of shutdown?
                                  > > >ie: /shutdown -restart ...joe :)
                                  > > >

                                  > > >"May You Go Among The Imperishable Stars"
                                  > > >
                                  > > >Joe Mize
                                  > > >StarFields Observatory http://www.cav-sfo.com/
                                  > > >Chiefland, FL 29:24'33.4"N 82:51'37.7"W

                                • Douglas B. George
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Oct 3, 2007
                                    DOS prompt command (via remote desktop or whatever):

                                    shutdown -r -f -t 1

                                    The system will start a shutdown and restart one second after you enter the
                                    command.

                                    I don't know if you've done this already, but I would recommend that you
                                    configure Windows to automatically log itself in using TweakUI (available from
                                    Microsoft's web site, one of the "Powertoys for Windows XP"). Otherwise it
                                    sometimes won't accept remote desktop connections after software installations
                                    until it's logged in via the keyboard.

                                    Doug

                                    -----------------------------------

                                    Doug George