I sure didn't expect this......

  • Photon Collector
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 4, 2007
      I set-up for a 1 hour Ha shot of the Pacman Nebula. However, I forgot to turn the auto guider on.
      The resulting star trail was very interesting to me.

      Here is a cropped image with notes of the star trails....
      http://publicmissiles.com/franku/Star_trails_Annot.jpg

      Is this just a simple matter of poor polar alignment?
      Is it poor alignment and incorrect tracking speed?
      Is the jog in the trail really mirror flop (the mirror is locked)?
      Note the "string of pearls" effect caused by PE. Why does the spacing change at one point?

      FYI: The self auto guider works very well when I remember to turn it on. The stars are perfectly round no matter the length of the exposure.
      The FL is about 1540mm

      ---Frank Rocketman Uroda