image compression for web net

  • alex me
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 31, 2007
      I have a tiff image result of RAW stacking, that was
      later adjusted in Photoshop (curves , contrast etc), I
      am pleased with the final looking image (best I could
      extract from it.

      It is now 47 Mb and has the following:
      16bit/channel, 3500x2300 pixels, TIFF format,
      obviously not publishable on the net, or even cant
      email it to friends (not every viewer can display 16
      bit/chanel)

      So I transform it to 8bit/channel, decrease pixel size
      and save it in JPEG, after this compression to say
      that it looks nasty over-sharpened and
      over-contrasted and over-saturated is underestimation
      it just looks ugly, so my question is why to bother
      shoot in RAW do all kinds of stretching and
      adjustments if all is lost during image compression
      for publication or distribution, or there are ways to
      compress it without loosing the smoothness and
      richness of original image??

      your detailed suggestions are very much appreciated,

      thank you, Alex

      http://sims.yahoo.com/
    • Rainer
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 1, 2007
        Hi Alex,

        I do not know how your workflow was but normally first reduce your
        image to maybe 1200x800 or 900x600 in tif format and then save it as
        JPG with a quality factor of maybe minimum 65%.

        It could be that what you are seeing are strong compression artifacts.

        Also do not forget to convert the tif image before saving in JPG to
        sRGB color profile.

        That is what comes to my mind in regard to that.

        saludos Rainer

        > I have a tiff image result of RAW stacking, that was
        > later adjusted in Photoshop (curves , contrast etc), I
        > am pleased with the final looking image (best I could
        > extract from it.
        >
        > It is now 47 Mb and has the following:
        > 16bit/channel, 3500x2300 pixels, TIFF format,
        > obviously not publishable on the net, or even cant
        > email it to friends (not every viewer can display 16
        > bit/chanel)
        >
        > So I transform it to 8bit/channel, decrease pixel size
        > and save it in JPEG, after this compression to say
        > that it looks nasty over-sharpened and
        > over-contrasted and over-saturated is underestimation
        > it just looks ugly, so my question is why to bother
        > shoot in RAW do all kinds of stretching and
        > adjustments if all is lost during image compression
        > for publication or distribution, or there are ways to
        > compress it without loosing the smoothness and
        > richness of original image??
        >
        > your detailed suggestions are very much appreciated,
        >
        > thank you, Alex

        story. Play Sims Stories at Yahoo! Games.